Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silver060)
    If Ronaldo did sign for us can you imagine rooney's *****ing then?! He would be the 4th important in the team!
    I personally think he misses Cristiano, and will be happy in sunny Manchester again.

ReputationRep:
    The crazy world of Twitter rumours and stories!

Ronaldo's probably popped back for a day trip, maybe see SAF recovering from his op.
    or

Come to put pen to paper on a return! :P

ReputationRep:
    If Fergie was still manager I might actually even remotely believe there was a chance, this summer anyway.. that would have been one of the main reasons he would come back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    If Fergie was still manager I might actually even remotely believe there was a chance, this summer anyway.. that would have been one of the main reasons he would come back.
    Probably the only reason tbh, I know he loves United but Fergie was a footballing father figure to him. The reason he is so damn good!

ReputationRep:
    If anyone was in any doubt as to whether newspapers write complete BS...

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    x
    I wanna be a journo. What paper is that from btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I wanna be a journo. What paper is that from btw?
    Sunday Life, the Sunday version of the Belfast Telegraph. Although it turns out it's from the 30th June, still funny though

ReputationRep:
    There is actually a quote there from Cruyff too, surely he doesn't actually think that.

ReputationRep:
    That quote is blatantly made up.

In fairness, most of the reliable papers don't write complete bull**** like that. It's expected in the tabloids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    That quote is blatantly made up.

In fairness, most of the reliable papers don't write complete bull**** like that. It's expected in the tabloids.
    Very rarely do papers make up and attribute quotes, simply because it opens them up to legal action. Usually when a paper wants to make up a quote they attribute it to "a source close to Messi" or "within the club" then they don't have to reveal their source as journalists, and hence prove he actually exists, so can print what they want without fear of action. They have named him and given an actual quote, if they had made it up he could easily sue them for it.

A bit of looking around, the quote is from an interview with Marca.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Very rarely do papers make up and attribute quotes, simply because it opens them up to legal action. Usually when a paper wants to make up a quote they attribute it to "a source close to Messi" or "within the club" then they don't have to reveal their source as journalists, and hence prove he actually exists, so can print what they want without fear of action. They have named him and given an actual quote, if they had made it up he could easily sue them for it.

A bit of looking around, the quote is from an interview with Marca.
    That is basically what I mean. They use the 'a source close to' line. Which to me means that it's made up. I guess the paper here did use Cruyff's name. I didn't look to check to see if the quote was legit.

I'm surprised by that interview. Neymar is coming into a team with the best player in the world (or close to it). He's proven nothing in Europe and should not expect to be treated at Messi's level. If he expects that, he is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 1h Confirmed today that Rooney won't be sold to #CFC - at any price. He's staying at #MUFC, whether he likes it or not http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/13/wayne-rooney-not-for-sale-chelsea …

ReputationRep:
    Daniel Taylor ‏@DTguardian 1h Confirmed today that Rooney won't be sold to #CFC - at any price. He's staying at #MUFC, whether he likes it or not http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/13/wayne-rooney-not-for-sale-chelsea …
    Good stance taken by the club.

ReputationRep:
    A side link from that Marca story is that we submitted a bid for Bale. £70m back near the start of summer.

Its a good stance to take on Rooney, although he won't be happy and probably will have a poor start to the season, I think his dog chasing a ball like attitude will take over once he accepts the situation. He'll become more annoyed at not playing or not being central than he will at not being allowed to move, as soon as RVP starts banging in some goals, he'll want to be part of it regardless of what happened in summer.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent to see. There was always a doubt that they'd cave in and let him to not keep an unhappy player but maybe the club putting its foot down might help Rooney into re-thinking his desire to leave and that not all is doom and gloom and he can redeem himself in the eyes of the fans with performances.

I'd like him to stay more than him going, especially to Chelsea.

It doesn't say anything about Arsenal and despite their interest a while back, its cooled off but if Wayne was adamant about leaving and Arsenal made a £40m bid (£1 not necessary) then it might re-think United's strategy but article suggests United will hold firm.

ReputationRep:

Seems legit.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is where Rooney fits into Moyes plans, we played a 4-1-2-3 last time out and I don't think Rooney wants to play out wide, I still believe could be a world class midfielder if he does the homework, he has all the attributes of a midfielder just needs the brain of one. I remember hearing about Schweinsteiger during Euro 2004 as a brilliant winger who was a rebel of the pitch but once he made the transmission from wing to CM for more playing time as Robben and Ribery took his place Bayern really benefitted, Rooney should do the same, RVP has took his mantle upfront so he should take the mantle in the middle.

RVP
    Zaha-Kagawa-Nani
    Carrick Rooney
    Evra-Vida-Rio-Rafael
    DDG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Thing is where Rooney fits into Moyes plans, we played a 4-1-2-3 last time out and I don't think Rooney wants to play out wide, I still believe could be a world class midfielder if he does the homework, he has all the attributes of a midfielder just needs the brain of one. I remember hearing about Schweinsteiger during Euro 2004 as a brilliant winger who was a rebel of the pitch but once he made the transmission from wing to CM for more playing time as Robben and Ribery took his place Bayern really benefitted, Rooney should do the same, RVP has took his mantle upfront so he should take the mantle in the middle.

RVP
    Zaha-Kagawa-Nani
    Carrick Rooney
    Evra-Vida-Rio-Rafael
    DDG
    I wouldn't mind Rooney there, but let's be honest, if Moysie plays him, he's gonna play him behind Van Persie. Partly because Rooney wants to be as furthest forward as possible, but mainly because it's still probably his best position.

The reason I current prefer Rooney to Kagawa in that number ten slot is because of the goal threat Rooney brings. I have a feeling that we won't be able to rely solely on Van Persie for goals this season. It was one of the problems we had during the Van Nistelrooy years, winning only two league titles out of five.

Of course, Kagawa can go on to prove me wrong and bang in 15 league goals this season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I wouldn't mind Rooney there, but let's be honest, if Moysie plays him, he's gonna play him behind Van Persie. Partly because Rooney wants to be as furthest forward as possible, but mainly because it's still probably his best position.

The reason I current prefer Rooney to Kagawa in that number ten slot is because of the goal threat Rooney brings. I have a feeling that we won't be able to rely solely on Van Persie for goals this season. It was one of the problems we had during the Van Nistelrooy years, winning only two league titles out of five.

Of course, Kagawa can go on to prove me wrong and bang in 15 league goals this season.
    problem is Kagawa probably wont even be given the chance..

He needs a regular slot, to get to know that position and make it his, - then we will see the kagawa of dortmund and japan..

But as long as he is being shifted out onto the wing, and never being a regular starter.. I feel we wont see the best of him

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Rooney can play as a CM, being a CM comes with responsibility and to handle that for 90mins you need to be disciplined. Discipline is not something Rooney has, his prerogative is to get on the ball, take risks and make something happen as an AM or a striker. That 5/6/10 failures for 1 success mentality that striker have to have is not something CM's or simply players with defensive responsibilities can have. I think its easy to throw caution to the wind and not pay attention to those responsibilities in a way its not to simply pick them up, so it easier for a CM to play AM than it is the opposite.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.