ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)
    Why doesn't Moyes bid for Barkley instead of Baines... Ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because Barkley is a boyhood Arsenal fan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    And that means he'd reject a move to united right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why are we bidding for Baines? Personally don't see the need for him but i would welcome Fellaini, just not at the £30m Everton want.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't we just try for Fellani before his clause went

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)
    Why doesn't Moyes bid for Barkley instead of Baines... Ugh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Didn't see the game Barkley played in on Saturday but everyone seems to be talking highly on him after it. Though I have watched him last season in a few games and he has potential but he's not the finished article yet. Needs a lot of games under his belt and I don't think United can provide that. Plus we already have quite a few potentially good players coming through the rank who I hope get their chance in the first team. So we need someone who's already established.

I don't know why people are so against Baines though yes he's 28/29 but he provides so much more than Evra can provide.

Evra last year: Improved drastically in going forward, scored more goals but IMO was still poor at the back. Was watching the game on Saturday and I remember on one occasion he went forward from the left and lost the ball. Then he didn't even bother running back no effort whatsoever to get back in position. Thats just poor from one of the better left backs in the League. This wasn't the first time either happened a lot last season but it didn't get noticed. And that's not all when he's defending someone with the ball he seems to give them to much room which gives them time to put a cross in. I think a lot of people ignore these negatives about him cause of what he does attackingly.

Baines is a better attacking player and can defend well. Will provide better crosses and set pieces than most of our current players are able to provide. If we get him for around the £15-17 million mark I think it'll be a good deal especially cause theres not much value in the market these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    Why didn't we just try for Fellani before his clause went
    Maybe cause Moyes doesn't value him at £24 million and I tend to agree even though I think now Everton will obviously want more than the £24 million for him.

ReputationRep:
    Valencia were really interested. I had the opportunity to talk to the sporting director but Javier wants to consolidate himself in Manchester. According to Hernandez's agent on sky sports.

I really hope he gets some playing time in the coming weeks he'll get so many more goals than Welbeck even though he had a good game on Saturday I feel Hernandez is more clinical in front of goal whereas Welbeck will miss half a dozen chances before scoring one goal.

ReputationRep:
    Dont think Fellaini/Baines would be awful signings by any means. Think there is a stigma attached to signing Everton players for most clubs but Baines is neck and neck with Cole for England LB and Fellaini would become your best CM so...

ReputationRep:
    Fellaini would in no way be close to Carrick.

Although, I understand the club going for him, I don't get Baines. Evra has had his issues over the last few seasons, but he was pretty good last season. He's also our vice captain. Unless he is leaving, I don't understand why the club is going for Baines.

ReputationRep:
    So a £12m bid for Baines, who we in no way need and would only marginally improve our team at the expense of our vice captain, when we have already had a £12m bid rejected earlier in the window.

And a £16m bid for a player who's £23m release clause expired a few weeks ago.

Edward Woodward take a bow :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Dont think Fellaini/Baines would be awful signings by any means. Think there is a stigma attached to signing Everton players for most clubs but Baines is neck and neck with Cole for England LB and Fellaini would become your best CM so...
    All Fellaini's hype is from last season, where he was playing as an AM/forward and not as a CM, carrick is leagues above him as a CM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    All Fellaini's hype is from last season, where he was playing as an AM/forward and not as a CM, carrick is leagues above him as a CM.
    I don't understand why so many people don't get this point. As a CM last season Fellaini was very average and didn't impress me when i saw him in that position.

ReputationRep:
    Well he gets around, used to be a DM and still plays B2B quite a bit. Fellaini's been around for years and done a good job for Everton tbf, would walk into the Utd first team atm so not sure its as bad a transfer as most seem to think.

ReputationRep:
    So a £12m bid for Baines, who we in no way need and would only marginally improve our team at the expense of our vice captain, when we have already had a £12m bid rejected earlier in the window.

And a £16m bid for a player who's £23m release clause expired a few weeks ago.

Edward Woodward take a bow :facepalm:
    Doing this on purpose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    :rofl: so was your last no 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Well he gets around, used to be a DM and still plays B2B quite a bit. Fellaini's been around for years and done a good job for Everton tbf, would walk into the Utd first team atm so not sure its as bad a transfer as most seem to think.
    He could do a decent job, but we can do better than someone who can do a decent job. Fellaini was also a bit of a liability in CM for most of his Everton career, his passing is pretty poor and he's a nasty ****, I'm sure I read someone that he committed the most fouls in the league last season and he loves elbowing everyone in the face.

I don't know why we aren't trying for Lars Bender, he'd cost around the same as what Fellaini would cost us, probably a little less even, and is much more suited to the role we would want him for. Plenty of midfielders have moved/could have moved this window and we've just embarrassingly wasted our time chasing Fabregas.

ReputationRep:
    He could do a decent job, but we can do better than someone who can do a decent job. Fellaini was also a bit of a liability in CM for most of his Everton career, his passing is pretty poor and he's a nasty ****, I'm sure I read someone that he committed the most fouls in the league last season and he loves elbowing everyone in the face.

I don't know why we aren't trying for Lars Bender, he'd cost around the same as what Fellaini would cost us, probably a little less even, and is much more suited to the role we would want him for. Plenty of midfielders have moved/could have moved this window and we've just embarrassingly wasted our time chasing Fabregas.
    Yea his passing is shocking at times but he is a complete nuisance as well, not easy to play against.

Lars Bender would be absolutely top notch. Arsenal have already had a 19m bid rejected and lots of rumors that we're in again. Problem is Leverkusen are flush with cash and looking to make an impact in the CL etc this season so hard to convince them. But yeah if Fellaini is worth 23m then Bender is worth about 40m, top notch DM.

Personally I'd say Utd are actually 2 midfielders short, an AM and a DM so very surprised that both Fergie last year and Moyes this year havent bought any...

ReputationRep:
    Are united broke or something???

Some seriously small offers, 12mill for bains, 25 then 30mill for fabregas and now 28mill for Fellaini and baines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Are united broke or something???

Some seriously small offers, 12mill for bains, 25 then 30mill for fabregas and now 28mill for Fellaini and baines.
    Trying to find out how low a club will except is not the same as being broke.

You don't just go along and say ok we'll pay maximum £50m for a player. You try to get them for as low as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Gutted, said all along not much more Moyes could have done to undermine my faith in him than move for those two. Such an obvious move, something Redknapp or Hughes would do. He's had all summer and a large transfer budget to sort out CM in particular and the best he could do is waiting until the buy out clause expired and then bid for his old player. Neither of them are bad players but neither of them are top players, and neither of them are really what we want. A 28 year old left back, and a CM who's best position is AM. Our handling of the transfer market this season has been abysmal, Woodward should be out of a job already. The most important window in years and we spend all summer following a target we failed to get, cling on to our AM, and then try the two most obvious man on the ****ing street signings possible. I'm sure these are the two signings Pep and Jose would have made had they been in the job. :rolleyes: I can't actually think of something which has pisses me off this much in years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.