Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    well by your logic we are okay then cause we still have RVP

we tried to sign Fabregas Fellaini and Baines are very good players...Arsenal need a lot more players a lot more than we do remember, they barely got 4th whilst we won the league by 11 points, to compare the two really is absurd.
    Fair point in terms of my comparison to Arsenal. My anger probably clouded my judgement I'd agree Baines is a very good player, but age really isn't on his side. I'm not comfortable paying 15m + for a player we'd only get a 3 good years out of. Personally, I'd like to see someone like Shaw, but I guess he's still young and learning. I can't agree with Fellani. You can show me stats all you want, but Fellani's Wrestlemania type play doesn't suit the Utd style. I don't think he's a great passer (which is what we really need in that midfield tbh) and he's a bit of a reckless tackler (yes scholes was bad, but his superior passing ability overrode that). But yh, he's one of them players that look good in an Everton squad, but I couldn't really see him improving our first team greatly. he should just attempt to go and sign modric for crying out loud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Over2you)
    Fair point in terms of my comparison to Arsenal. My anger probably clouded my judgement I'd agree Baines is a very good player, but age really isn't on his side. I'm not comfortable paying 15m + for a player we'd only get a 3 good years out of. Personally, I'd like to see someone like Shaw, but I guess he's still young and learning. I can't agree with Fellani. You can show me stats all you want, but Fellani's Wrestlemania type play doesn't suit the Utd style. I don't think he's a great passer (which is what we really need in that midfield tbh) and he's a bit of a reckless tackler (yes scholes was bad, but his superior passing ability overrode that). But yh, he's one of them players that look good in an Everton squad, but I couldn't really see him improving our first team greatly. he should just attempt to go and sign modric for crying out loud
    really a redundant argument in the current transfer market, realistically we will have to pay that much, plus people said the same about RVP...granted Baines isn't that RVP quality but still I think paying £15-20m is reasonable enough for him. that's a lovely load of hot air tbh, Fellaini played in several midfield roles for Everton over his time with them, he has stuff to learn to an extent but I think Moyes was making positive changes to his play during last season toward the end and I think that would continue if he came to United, he offers a very good creative midfield option as well as some strength in there, both things I think would be good to have for us, personally I tend to view our main issue in midfield as other than Carrick we lack players with consistent form and fitness. Modric so far as I know (I don't listen to tabloids and nor should any self respecting football fan) doesn't look like leaving Madrid. as for Shaw I think he would be a good signing but Baines gives us a more immediate option than him imo.

ReputationRep:
    well by your logic we are okay then cause we still have RVP
    Nope. Many teams in the league have strengthened. If they had stood still, that would be a fair point. It's going to be far harder to win the league this season. We also don't know if Van Persie will do his thing all season. If he doesn't or gets injured, I would be worried about this squads ability to challenge.

I know every team needs their best players to do well, but we were overly reliant on him last season.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    Nope. Many teams in the league have strengthened. If they had stood still, that would be a fair point. It's going to be far harder to win the league this season. We also don't know if Van Persie will do his thing all season. If he doesn't or gets injured, I would be worried about this squads ability to challenge.

I know every team needs their best players to do well, but we were overly reliant on him last season.
    I think many of our players will have improved through experience, I agree this year should be closer but I don't think it's all as doom and gloom as people are making out, Van Persie if anything looks better this year so far, he had a good pre-season and is fully fit and on form going into the season which he didn't have last time out. I also think Rooney once fit will be better this year and Hernandez and Wellbeck will do better as well imo, remember we had our share of injuries and stuff last season as well.

like I said before the only thing I think this United team really needs is another midfielder like Carrick which can play consistently well and stay fit.

ReputationRep:

like I said before the only thing I think this United team really needs is another midfielder like Carrick which can play consistently well and stay fit.
    Carrick is a deep lying playmaker, we someone like wilshere, someone who will take the ball from midfield dribble into the final 3rd and pick a key pass or killer though ball. The midfielder that Ando was ment to become.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Carrick is a deep lying playmaker, we someone like wilshere, someone who will take the ball from midfield dribble into the final 3rd and pick a key pass or killer though ball. The midfielder that Ando was ment to become.
    No I don't think we need that player as Kagawa can do what Wilshere does and better. We need someone to replace Cleverly as a midfield destroyer. Carrick is too weak and slow to break up tackles and Phil Jones is constantly been asked to fill into that position.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, we need someone who can carry a ball and pick a pass but then continue up the field. Someone like Thiago would have been perfect, quick, good feet, pick a pass, and good with possession. We currently have Cleverly to make up for the lack of assets with work rate alongside Carrick. Kagawa doesn't do that he has stated ,and as he played at Dortmund, prefers to receive the ball more directly much higher up the pitch. Someone needs to play that ball, and it can't be Carrick in his current role or he'd be playing balls from near box to box. Wilshere is a good example, Carrick is our Arteta, and Kagawa is our Santi. Fletcher if he comes back might be able to fill in, but after illness not sure how he will handle being asked to cope with the work rate required.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone whos not seen much of Fellaini heres a good video showing all his touches from the Norwich match on the weekend.

Tbh i think he'd be good, he wont solve all our midfield problems but he'll add good strength and solidity to our midfield and he looks dangerous when he goes forward and from corners, a bit of a Yaya Toure lite. Carrick playing deep supplying the passes and Fellaini a sort of box to box getting forward supporting the attack i think it could work.

ReputationRep:
    Who we need and everyone knows it is Wilshere. It makes so much sense and is exactly the sort of player we need!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndyBoughton)
    Who we need and everyone knows it is Wilshere. It makes so much sense and is exactly the sort of player we need!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gundogan would make me much more excited tbh... he would cost less, hes better imo and not to mention wilshere's injury problems, also he is good in every midfield role.

ReputationRep:
    Gundogan would be an amazing signing but if we did, it would be next summer unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    I think many of our players will have improved through experience, I agree this year should be closer but I don't think it's all as doom and gloom as people are making out, Van Persie if anything looks better this year so far, he had a good pre-season and is fully fit and on form going into the season which he didn't have last time out. I also think Rooney once fit will be better this year and Hernandez and Wellbeck will do better as well imo, remember we had our share of injuries and stuff last season as well.

Well, over half of our starting XI are pretty experienced already, but yeah, some of the younger one's have a bit more experience under their belts. That's only a good thing. Van Persie is looking good, but he's had his injury problems in the past and we didn't manage him that well last season. He played so many games and he's on the wrong side of 30. He seemed to burn out a bit after the new year. It'd be nice if he could be given a break and let Hernandez play against some of the weaker teams.

Rooney should be better, but then again, I don't know what to think about him. He might not even be here by the end of the window. Hernandez did fine last season, but Welbeck needs to step up. If he could get 10-15 goals, that would take some of the burden off of Van Persie.

This team needs at least one midfielder. Someone good enough to go straight into the team and make a difference. Ideally two. An injury to Carrick would probably end our season. I also think another winger would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea apparently hijacking Willian! That means a stay for Rooney if true! fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitechapel)
    Chelsea apparently hijacking Willian! That means a stay for Rooney if true! fingers crossed!
    Isn't he a winger? Not sure why Chelsea want him when they have multiple players that can play in his position.

They still need a striker.

ReputationRep:
    Bale to Madrid, ronaldo return?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    Bale to Madrid, ronaldo return?
    Please don't start jizzing over a Ronaldo return which isn't going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitechapel)
    That would be kinda stupid of Chelsea unless their willing to get rid of one of their midfielders maybe Mata or Moses who seem to have fallen behind the pecking order under Mourinho. They don't really need him though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    That would be kinda stupid of Chelsea unless their willing to get rid of one of their midfielders maybe Mata or Moses who seem to have fallen behind the pecking order under Mourinho. They don't really need him though.
    Mata and Moses are the two players that won't go. Moses for the homegrown rules is vital for us, he gives us a counter attacking approach with that workrate of his and selling Mata is stupid. One what top team needs Mata that will afford 35m for him? Two why would we weaken ourselves getting an inferior player to Mata when he needs to settle, doesn't have the influence mata has, it's just a stupid transfer and mourinho knows that. It's not like we need to generate cash in wages either.

Mata's been injured most of pre-season and isn't fully fit after coming back from confeds cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Mata and Moses are the two players that won't go. Moses for the homegrown rules is vital for us, he gives us a counter attacking approach with that workrate of his and selling Mata is stupid. One what top team needs Mata that will afford 35m for him? Two why would we weaken ourselves getting an inferior player to Mata when he needs to settle, doesn't have the influence mata has, it's just a stupid transfer and mourinho knows that. It's not like we need to generate cash in wages either.

Mata's been injured most of pre-season and isn't fully fit after coming back from confeds cup.
    You talk as if Chelsea's transfer policy is logical...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf94)
    You talk as if Chelsea's transfer policy is logical...
    Well if you've seen what we've done the whole summer and overall the past 2 seasons(bar the sturridge transfer) it's been rather logical, getting rid of deadwood and replacing them with young talent and plugging the obvious hole in our squad if possible, but go on and beat a dead horse that's been done to death.

You'll probably say the same for city this season.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.