Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I definitely don't want us to panic buy, but Moyes stepped into this job and said very early on that we needed a midfielder. It's a complete failure that one hasn't been brought in.

ReputationRep:
    I think if we do well on Monday night then we should be fine for the season with out current squad, but i can see some panic buys being made if we do badly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Over2you)
    He wasted a good 3/4 weeks on a player that was never coming (Fabregas).
    That's what's annoying, they've been made to look clueless. Couple that with two bids for Baines that were supposedly less than offers he rejected as Everton manager and bidding for Fellaini after his release clause expired.... I don't even.

We could've had Fellaini ages ago if they acted remotely competently, now we've got no one. And now the leagues have all started, that's only going to make it harder to buy. There's no time to find a replacement, so clubs will be reluctant to sell, probably only doing so for big money. And big money isn't something we're going to offer if the maximum we were willing to bid for Fabregas was £30/35m or whichever.

Hopefully Nick Powell will adapt to CM and be amazing or something, he played for the reserves today so we should see him around the first team soon if that's where he's headed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    Attachment 239549

You wouldn't take Mata or Ozil over Kagawa?
    Not if it meant departing with Rooney or 40mil, Kagawa is a great player when played at AM.
    (Original post by jam277)
    They don't really need them tbh, and it's not like Mata is a ridiculous level above kags, add to that Ozil is great for 70mins and is subbed off as he can't finish a game
    One of the reasons why Isco was signed by Real, plus Ozil never helps out defensively and was very inconsistent last year.
    (Original post by Over2you)
    Sorry, I can't buy this. He's had since the beginning of July. He wasted a good 3/4 weeks on a player that was never coming (Fabregas). Yes, maybe his agent may have given us hope, but he really should have kept his options open. Our back-room staff is big enough for that. There were/are PLENTY of quality midfield players out there (yes, maybe not world class), but some who would get into our first team.
    Exactly how I feel, Woodward and Moyes seem to be Glazers puppets, all that bull**** about how we have a unlimited budget, and we end up with again no midfielder signing and no real actual attempt. When Spurs, Liverpool & Chelsea are wiling to pay £32mil for Wilian and City spend £30mil on Fernandinho, we max our bid of £30mil for Fabregas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Hopefully Nick Powell will adapt to CM and be amazing or something, he played for the reserves today so we should see him around the first team soon if that's where he's headed.
    It's being rumoured he might be sent out on loan which is a possibility - don't think he appeared much or at all during the pre-season. I've not seen enough of him, no fault of his own but he deserves a sustained chance. Probably will be sent out on loan to Wigan but would prefer a PL club.

(Original post by qasidb)
    Moyes probably won't talk about it. Just like with everyone, it's embarrassing to explain a stupid action you've committed, in this case, the confusingly low and mistimed Baines and Fellaini bid.
    I don't think he did talk about it. Press lady probably enforced a gag on it to avoid Moyes' embarrassment of the ludicrousy of the bids and to calm the situation down.

Of course, we need signings, no doubt. But on the other hand, I don't want us to panic and spend money unnecessarily. Not ideal but we may have to experience another year of midfield hurt.

Interesting Mike Phelan talked of how the Everton bids were "cheeky" and alluding to the inexperience of Woodward - how he was more commerically driven rather than tying up deals so that's a valid point. He needs to realise the transfer aren't business deals, completely different. I wonder what sort of structure Gill has left behind - which I assume there will be capable people for Ed but depends whether he's listening to them or taking on board advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    It's being rumoured he might be sent out on loan which is a possibility - don't think he appeared much or at all during the pre-season. I've not seen enough of him, no fault of his own but he deserves a sustained chance. Probably will be sent out on loan to Wigan but would prefer a PL club.
    He just got back from surgery, I think. He should've been sent out on loan last year, even if it was back to Crewe. Just sat in the reserves all year, such a waste. I wouldn't mind him going out on loan now, as I suspect we'll see Giggs and Jones starting over him if our first choice mids are unavailable.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned in terms of full on youth products you've been poor since the year 2000 with youth products through and through. Bar cleverley(who's not all that anyway) and fletcher maybe there's not a single player you integrated straight up into the team. Liverpool and southampton are the only teams in the league that has been doing it properly, consistently and to a high standard.
    Liverpool??? :laugh: You've got to be kidding me, who have they brought in since Gerrard that's had a proper run in the team and/or been any good? Martin Kelly and Andre Wisdom have been bit part players but that's about it.

You missed out Welbeck and Evans for starters, who've been around the first team for a while now. Then the likes of Shawcross and Pogba who've been successes elsewhere. Even the likes of Jonathon Spector, Kieran Richardson and Frazier Campbell have established themselves in the Premier League more than anyone Liverpool has produced post 2000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Liverpool??? :laugh: You've got to be kidding me, who have they brought in since Gerrard that's had a proper run in the team and/or been any good? Martin Kelly and Andre Wisdom have been bit part players but that's about it.

You missed out Welbeck and Evans for starters, who've been around the first team for a while now. Then the likes of Shawcross and Pogba who've been successes elsewhere. Even the likes of Jonathon Spector, Kieran Richardson and Frazier Campbell have established themselves in the Premier League more than anyone Liverpool has produced post 2000.
    Coming to think of it, the general quality of youth players produced in here has been poor, I forgot about welbeck/evans so I'll take that back but I still think liverpool produce quality youth players, probably because I compared you guys to the united of the 90s so was a bit warped.

Sterling as well. Pogba doesn't count, that's no different from getting fabio/rafael or arsenal getting fabregas. Again Richardson was at west ham before united. I didn't realise about welbeck and evans, although I wouldn't really say welbeck got into the team yet anyway well as a starter last season(well near the end of the season yes but before he was like 3rd choice) . I forgot about evans tbf.

With liverpool wisdom is 18/19 and kelly was a starter under dalglish but he was injured a lot of the time while sterling pretty much was a starter till they got coutinho.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Sterling as well. Pogba doesn't count, that's no different from getting fabio/rafael or arsenal getting fabregas
    Sterling was pinched from QPR. No different from any of those examples you gave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami')
    I think if we do well on Monday night then we should be fine for the season with out current squad, but i can see some panic buys being made if we do badly.
    Chelsea beat us 3 times last season, we have not strengthened and they have ...not to mention that they had and have better players than us last season and this season with great squad depth. My only hope is they were not very good against Villa and their weak striking options. otherwise we will be outclassed in midfield and lose the game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    How do you know that? Mind sharing what's going to happen for the next couple of seasons seeing as you've apparently got a crystal ball... :rolleyes:

How on earth can you say at this stage neither have broken into the first team? We've only played two games ffs, of which De Bruyne started one and Lukaku came on as a sub in both. De Bruyne created the second highest number of clear cut chances in the Bundesliga last season and Lukaku scored 17 goals at WBA, both are clearly good enough to challenge for a starting spot and they will.

Lukaku and Essien coming back of loan and bringing in Van Ginkel helps with striker/CM respectively, but I agree a striker and a DM are two positions we do still need to improve at.

Yeah it is retarded to go for Willian, I think the majority of Chelsea fans would agree with you, but it's possible there's a good reason for it which we don't know about. Or far more likely, it's complete BS made up by Willian's agent/Anzhi. And mate, you've been interchanging 'young players' and 'youth players' to suit your point along with several other completely bizarre statements (a 21-year old footballer isn't young?) and apparently have the ability to see the future, so about you being right...
    The other guy came out with more bizarre statements like that moses could play ahead of the defense.

Maybe Hazard will become better my point was he wasnt youth and was already a very good player its not the same a bringing through someone like lucas piazon or McEachren for example. Maybe i got twisted in the argument but that was my point and Chelsea have yet to bring through any youth but we'll see this season with De Bruyne Lukaku and Van Ginkel. I meant that they arent established cos theres only been 2 games ie you cant say you're established after 2 games cos thats the point the other guy was making.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    Chelsea beat us 3 times last season, we have not strengthened and they have ...not to mention that they had and have better players than us last season and this season with great squad depth. My only hope is they were not very good against Villa and their weak striking options. otherwise we will be outclassed in midfield and lose the game.
    yes were ****ed, not like we finished 14 points clear of Chelsea in the league or anything.

not like we have lots of young players in the squad who will have improved either.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think people are forgetting how good our squad is, we won the title last year with ease. Our squad is good enough to beat any team in the league if we set up in the right way and have the right mentality. Who would have thought that by xmas of last year we would have gotten away wins at both city and chelsea?

However, last year, for me, the main reason we won the title was because we didnt get complacent against smaller sides. If we win all the games where we go into it as favourites, then we have nothing to worry about. The games against city and chelsea appear to mean a lot but they will only be crucial if we slip against mid table teams. Chelsea came very close to dropping points against villa the other night and i would expect them to drop points throughout the year. If we cant beat them in a head to head (which i dont personally feel) then we just have to make sure we slip up less than they do. We lost to city twice in 2011/2012 but got the same amount of points because we were better against everyone else.

Yes beating those around you helps, but beating everyone else is just as important and thats where I think united have always been the best at, doing everything possible to get maximum points from each game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    yes were ****ed, not like we finished 14 points clear of Chelsea in the league or anything.

not like we have lots of young players in the squad who will have improved either.

:rolleyes:
    I am just concerned about the big teams, the key to winning the season last time was the 1st time league wins against City and Chelsea..anyway has anyone seen wilshere comments?? if Wenger doesn't renew his contract due to arsenal fans rumblings wilshere might be up for grabs..were the best place for him.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cost)
    I am just concerned about the big teams, the key to winning the season last time was the 1st time league wins against City and Chelsea..anyway has anyone seen wilshere comments?? if Wenger doesn't renew his contract due to arsenal fans rumblings wilshere might be up for grabs..were the best place for him.
    Wenger is under huge pressure at the moment, all Wilshere is doing with that statement is a. backing his manager and b. hoping to shut the dissenting fans up. Makes a lot of sense and I don't believe he's actually looking to leave Arsenal.

Also with the way the media are it wouldn't suprise me if what he actually said has been twisted a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Very solid response from Moyes regarding the Everton bids for Fellaini and Baines. He struck the right balance, and throwing in some unsettling words by saying he did right by the player when in truth, in the Lescott saga, he - along with Kenwright - did what they could get for him and got a very good deal. Not helped in the Fellaini chase by not going for him prior to his clause expiring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

The only names that would stand out to me would be Warnock, Insua and Kelly. Tbh, nearly every PL club hasnt produced enough talent from their own Acadamies in the last decade or so. We seem to be producing a lot of talent at the moment though (Sterling, Suso, Morgan, Ibe, Sinclair, Coady, McLaughlin, Robinson and a few more I cba to name), same with you lot (heard good things about Januzaj, Henriquez and Powell) Chelsea buy any semi decent 16-18 year old, City dont need youth and Arsenal need a first team squad first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brainiac)
    I think people are forgetting how good our squad is, we won the title last year with ease. Our squad is good enough to beat any team in the league if we set up in the right way and have the right mentality. Who would have thought that by xmas of last year we would have gotten away wins at both city and chelsea?

However, last year, for me, the main reason we won the title was because we didnt get complacent against smaller sides. If we win all the games where we go into it as favourites, then we have nothing to worry about. The games against city and chelsea appear to mean a lot but they will only be crucial if we slip against mid table teams. Chelsea came very close to dropping points against villa the other night and i would expect them to drop points throughout the year. If we cant beat them in a head to head (which i dont personally feel) then we just have to make sure we slip up less than they do. We lost to city twice in 2011/2012 but got the same amount of points because we were better against everyone else.

Yes beating those around you helps, but beating everyone else is just as important and thats where I think united have always been the best at, doing everything possible to get maximum points from each game.
    Dude the champions of Germany (and Europe), Spain and Italy have spent big and brought some absolutely world class players. All we want is a midfielder signing because after Scholes has gone, we have 2 very injury prone midfielders, 1 unfortunately always injured midfielder, a 39yr old and Carrick. It is very likely that both Anderson and Cleverly could be injured at the same time this season, which could mean we overplay Carrick and we have no one to partner him with. We unfortunately have owners that will not part with any significant money even if it does mean the pay off could be huge. I hate how no one at United is even aiming for the Champions League anymore, whereas thats all what the champions of Spain, Germany and Italy are aiming for. A good deep lying playmaker and we could win the CL but its like we've conceded before the season has even started that the league is enough and thats it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    A good deep lying playmaker and we could win the CL but its like we've conceded before the season has even started that the league is enough and thats it.
    Not really tbh, your squad is miles behind the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern etc. Dont mean that as a dig, but virtually none of your players would get into their squads, nevermind first teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Not really tbh, your squad is miles behind the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern etc. Dont mean that as a dig, but virtually none of your players would get into their squads, nevermind first teams.
    That's a bit unfair, Barca aside united have pretty good strikers, also believe that vidic when fit is one of the best in the world, better than pique or whoever partners him imo, bar that though united are inferior in every other department. I don't think they'd win it with the BBM(don't think DLP is the problem as carrick is one already) but it would go a long way to them potentially winning it. Although I'd put them as joint 4th favs with the second tier teams(Chelsea, city, dortmund, juve) around or slightly behind them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.