Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Not really tbh, your squad is miles behind the likes of Barca, Madrid, Bayern etc. Dont mean that as a dig, but virtually none of your players would get into their squads, nevermind first teams.
    We could use Vidic and Ferdinand haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    That's a bit unfair, Barca aside united have pretty good strikers, also believe that vidic when fit is one of the best in the world, better than pique or whoever partners him imo, bar that though united are inferior in every other department. I don't think they'd win it with the BBM(don't think DLP is the problem as carrick is one already) but it would go a long way to them potentially winning it. Although I'd put them as joint 4th favs with the second tier teams(Chelsea, city, dortmund, juve) around or slightly behind them.
    Van Persie would start for Madrid and Bayern, sure, as would an on form and injury free Vidic. But apart from that no one else really stands out tbh. Rooney would be fighting with Ozil/Isco/Messi/Iniesta/Kroos/Gotze, Carrick with Alonso/Modric/Busquets/Xavi/Schweinsteiger/Martinez. Aside from them United dont have any world class players.

(Original post by Malevolent)
    We could use Vidic and Ferdinand haha!
    True, but everywhere else on the pitch (except GK)? No chance tbh.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to have the best team to win the CL, its a cup competition after all. Our chances would improve significantly with a decent midfielder to play alongside Carrick though, as we wouldn't be getting dominated in midfield. We'd still be some way off being considered favourites though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Van Persie would start for Madrid and Bayern, sure, as would an on form and injury free Vidic. But apart from that no one else really stands out tbh. Rooney would be fighting with Ozil/Isco/Messi/Iniesta/Kroos/Gotze, Carrick with Alonso/Modric/Busquets/Xavi/Schweinsteiger/Martinez. Aside from them United dont have any world class players.

It's not about individuals its about a good balanced team IMO, last year we could've had this conversation with BVB and Bayern players vs Real and Barca players and majority of the players would've been chosen from the spanish sides, I don't think Barca will beat the best sides in europe unless their defence improves from last season as teams with a good attack will take advantage. Real and City have proved that having the best team on paper doesn't necessarily mean you are better. A good midfield and I'd say we'd stand a very good chance as we already have a good defence and attack, one of the reasons why I think Juve will do very well in CL this year is because they've improved on an area they needed to which is attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)

messi/iniesta in the same bracket as Rooney? Even on his best days, he's no where near. I think Rafael could get into the RM/FCB squad. Tbh, give it 2 seasons they'll be after him. De gea could be the barca goalie. And vanpersie would fit well in that rm spot up front. Midfield on the other hand, just a laughing stock tbh. Wow, I'm beginning to realise how serious this problem is

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    It's not about individuals its about a good balanced team IMO, last year we could've had this conversation with BVB and Bayern players vs Real and Barca players and majority of the players would've been chosen from the spanish sides, I don't think Barca will beat the best sides in europe unless their defence improves from last season as teams with a good attack will take advantage. Real and City have proved that having the best team on paper doesn't necessarily mean you are better. A good midfield and I'd say we'd stand a very good chance as we already have a good defence and attack, one of the reasons why I think Juve will do very well in CL this year is because they've improved on an area they needed to which is attack.
    True, I think that was Ferguson's greatest strength, his teams always performed better than the individuals in it. Whether Moyes can continue that remains to be seen, but I wouldnt put you guys in that top bracket with Barca/Bayern/Real, as Jam said earlier you're probably in the same bracket as Juve, Dortmund etc atm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Over2you)
    messi/iniesta in the same bracket as Rooney? Even on his best days, he's no where near. I think Rafael could get into the RM/FCB squad. Tbh, give it 2 seasons they'll be after him. De gea could be the barca goalie. And vanpersie would fit well in that rm spot up front. Midfield on the other hand, just a laughing stock tbh. Wow, I'm beginning to realise how serious this problem is

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I should have been clearer but what I meant is that Rooney would have to challenge Messi, Iniesta, Ozil etc and hence wouldnt get near their teams.

Maybe in a few years but id have Alves/Lahm over Rafael, he's definitely talented but I think Montoya and Carjaval are equally as talented, just earlier in their development.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    I definitely don't want us to panic buy, but Moyes stepped into this job and said very early on that we needed a midfielder. It's a complete failure that one hasn't been brought in.
    I've heard a rumor that a lot of players have loyalty bonuses written into their contracts which are payable on September 1. The transfer window closes later than usual on September 2 this year. No idea if it's true or not but given how greedy modern day players/agents are it really wouldn't surprise me if this was a factor holding up deals until deadline day. Jim White must be wetting himself with excitement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Very solid response from Moyes regarding the Everton bids for Fellaini and Baines. He struck the right balance, and throwing in some unsettling words by saying he did right by the player when in truth, in the Lescott saga, he - along with Kenwright - did what they could get for him and got a very good deal. Not helped in the Fellaini chase by not going for him prior to his clause expiring.
    Meh. Strong? It's just silly. We don't need Baines and could've got Fellaini ages ago. I just don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    Moyes is embarrassing himself over trying to sign these players.

ReputationRep:
    Alves over Rafael? Alves is an absolute joke defensive wise, him and Alba are the main culprits of Barcelona's leaky defence against the top teams last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had a nightmare last night that Vidic was leaving. On the plus side, it somehow reminded me to change my FF team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scientific222)
    Alves over Rafael? Alves is an absolute joke defensive wise, him and Alba are the main culprits of Barcelona's leaky defence against the top teams last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Barcelona are the reason. They defensive line plays an unbelievably high line and then there's no pressing. Even If we had Thiago Silva last year we would have been poor. There has to be help from all around the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I should have been clearer but what I meant is that Rooney would have to challenge Messi, Iniesta, Ozil etc and hence wouldnt get near their teams.

Maybe in a few years but id have Alves/Lahm over Rafael, he's definitely talented but I think Montoya and Carjaval are equally as talented, just earlier in their development.
    I agree, Rooney could just about get into madrid as a no.9 but tbh benzema had a poor season last year so it's hard to compare(although same goes for rooney tbh).

(Original post by scientific222)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Watch alves for brazil or in the el classicos under pep, he was a beast defensively which allows neymar more creative freedom on the left side. barca employed a similar system using abidal as the back 3 rather than busquetts being a CB as they do now when barca attack.

ReputationRep:
    The argument about 'your player won't get into this team or that team' is pointless. Football is a team sport believe it or not and all players have different styles which are more suited to different teams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Meh. Strong? It's just silly. We don't need Baines and could've got Fellaini ages ago. I just don't get it.
    That's what makes it clear is that Fellaini was not first choice, had he been, he would have been bought when he first came into the job. That's what most people were expecting, i.e that would Moyes would go back to Everton to grab a player and I kinda wish he had done, asap, get that outta the way then go for Fabregas but luckily he knows the players well so can convince them that they were important targets rather than back up ones.

Rene Meulensteen opens up about his exit from OT. I really wished he'd stayed but I can understand why he left, if he was going to be demoted to working with youth rather than the first team doing what he did or as an assistant. If he made those comments to Moyes then David might have a tad upset with the bluntness of them but still sad. I don't think it'll be long before Rene's back in work.

ReputationRep:
    The press have a need to link every player with us, the Express and the Spanish press are reporting we are getting Casillas and shipping De Gea of to Barca :laugh:, would hate that to ever happen.

(Original post by Aky786UK)
    Rene Meulensteen opens up about his exit from OT. I really wished he'd stayed but I can understand why he left, if he was going to be demoted to working with youth rather than the first team doing what he did or as an assistant. If he made those comments to Moyes then David might have a tad upset with the bluntness of them but still sad. I don't think it'll be long before Rene's back in work.
    Didn't like that from Rene, after getting sacked from Anzhi he has to turn on Moyes because he wanted his staff at his club.

ReputationRep:
    The press have a need to link every player with us, the Express and the Spanish press are reporting we are getting Casillas and shipping De Gea of to Barca :laugh:, would hate that to ever happen.

Didn't like that from Rene, after getting sacked from Anzhi he has to turn on Moyes because he wanted his staff at his club.
    Not every going to happen. A keeper instead of a CB sounds like Barcelona management thinking though :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Not every going to happen. A keeper instead of a CB sounds like Barcelona management thinking though :laugh:
    Hopefully not, are you close at all to get a new CB.

ReputationRep:
    lol, don't want that at all, Casillas is off form right now and De Gea is one of the best younger keepers in the world right now, would be mad to even consider it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.