The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am surprised with all the negative comments there have been about tonight's match, as tonight, that was the best performance i have seen them do for a long while, and the confidence and pace at which they were passing was brilliant.

Yes, the final finish never came, but as soon as we got into their half, Chelsea practically had 10 men behind the ball.

From the match;

- Rooney proved a point to fans, Moyes and RVP that he is no 'secondary striker'
- Phil Jones is a useless full back, kept seeing him break down on the wing
- Defense seems to be holding up
- RVP is sublime (his touches and ability to hold the ball was brilliant)
- We lack an attacking midfielder (Carrick and cleverly did well, but nether really pushed at Chelsea)

I am happy with the point.
Reply 9001
Biggest plus from the game was that it seems like Cleverly has learned a bit of positional discipline. Didn't see any overly ambitious/stupid runs from deep without the ball today. Just played along side Carrick, kept the ball ticking over and made sure we were never too exposed.
Valencia, defensively, did his job whilst his all too familiar issues going forward continue, i.e. struggling to take his man on, lack of confidence. Jones at RB isn't the best, just not great with crossing and has to rely on his power but made some decent tackles towards the end of the first half.

Rooney is a great example of behaviour whilst undergoing transfer speculation on the pitch; showed effort like last week but you can tell abit he's still abit behind in terms of real sharpness and fitness. I would have liked Kagawa to come on but I fear Rooney will get the slot for Liverpool.

Just have to take this game for what it was, poor but a valuable point.

Now let's see how the transfer window develops.

I was stunned Moyes was open about Bale but I think he was teasing us, getting us excited and he has confirmed at the post match presser that they haven't made a bid. So it looks like it will Fellaini/Baines or just the former.
Reply 9003
Rooneys great to have in big games, good to see that. CM was good but changes nothing in the signings we need, at least 2 more good CM's are needed for depth and improvement.
Moyes refused to say no on Bale but I think he'd say nothing regardless of our position on him so means nothing. Chelsea defended with so many behind the ball and we weren't willing to take the risk either, whole match really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9004
Think Moyes made the awful decision of not playing kagawa, think he has made a few blunders so far
Reply 9005
Kagawa is wasted on the bench, he really is.

Dortmund's and the Bundesliga's best player in 11/12 season not even getting games?
Reply 9006
Yeah, would have really liked to see Kagawa play. He messed a few chances in one game and Moyes has benched him since.
I think Moyes chooses to play Giggs rather than Kagawa. But then again Giggs played on the left in Welbecks position when he came on. I'd rather see Kagawa play in Rooneys position to be honest which is his favoured position. It's a difficult situation nevertheless.
Original post by Manchester United
I think we'll win to be honest, although it will be close. Our defence is much better and RVP is going to pulverise your defence. I'd be very shocked if you could keep him quiet.

Like to say that this bit was wrong :lol: thought a low scoring draw would be the result with our respective defences. although I was pretty wrong about rooney. Anyway kags clearly should have played some point, honestly I think that giggs just gets games now because he's a legend, if he was at this level at 25 he would not be coming off the bench against chelsea.

I get why they played young too but seriously kagawa needs games. It's only three games in tbf and I don't know his fitness levels but all the appearances giggs is getting should be kags atm. I guess it happened with scholes last season until cleverley and jones came in so I guess kagawa will come into the mix.
(edited 10 years ago)
Anyway just gathering your opinions on the match. What does it mean for the title race? I see both teams going through most prem teams with ease, so I think this would have been a potential difference with the title race but both were happy with the result.

When do you play City?
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
I think Moyes chooses to play Giggs rather than Kagawa. But then again Giggs played on the left in Welbecks position when he came on. I'd rather see Kagawa play in Rooneys position to be honest which is his favoured position. It's a difficult situation nevertheless.

Yeah but the thing is that kagawa and rooney would switch positions in the game anyway, so essentially he's playing in the middle and out wide. That's not a problem. If he thought giggs was a better presence out wide then fairplay to him, but I saw nothing in the match that suggested such a thing.
Original post by VQG
Biggest plus from the game was that it seems like Cleverly has learned a bit of positional discipline. Didn't see any overly ambitious/stupid runs from deep without the ball today. Just played along side Carrick, kept the ball ticking over and made sure we were never too exposed.

I guess the game was pretty cagey from both sides, so you'd have expected him to be instructed to sit with carrick otherwise we'd have hit you on the counter. I think that game was screaming for risk taking from either side. While you guys had the ball more I feel that you were playing for a point as well and were too scared to put many men forward. I know there were 10 behind the ball but you could have tried harder to break through.
Might have been said but when was the last time United failed to score at home (in the league)? Don't they have a ridiculous amount of consecutive games of scoring at least one goal at OT?
Original post by Gob Bluth
Might have been said but when was the last time United failed to score at home (in the league)? Don't they have a ridiculous amount of consecutive games of scoring at least one goal at OT?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22328145
Really impressed with Cleverley yesterday, perhaps the long term replacement for Carrick - he's playing more like him

Match was as expected really. Danny's already lost his confidence which is disappointing.
Original post by jam277
Like to say that this bit was wrong :lol: thought a low scoring draw would be the result with our respective defences. although I was pretty wrong about rooney. Anyway kags clearly should have played some point, honestly I think that giggs just gets games now because he's a legend, if he was at this level at 25 he would not be coming off the bench against chelsea.

I get why they played young too but seriously kagawa needs games. It's only three games in tbf and I don't know his fitness levels but all the appearances giggs is getting should be kags atm. I guess it happened with scholes last season until cleverley and jones came in so I guess kagawa will come into the mix.

Yeah very wrong indeed. Both sets of defenders were excellent. RVP couldn't even get the ball in a goalscoring position, never mind pulverising. I think we should have brought Kagawa on instead of Giggs. Although, we've only played two games. The first Kagawa wasn't fit enough and the second was a big game where Moyes may have felt experience>youth (in regards to Giggs>Kagawa).

It wasn't a bad result for either team (possibly better for you, with it being at OT).

feb 09 or something like that

Haha quite recent then, but it's a huge rarity isn't it. Chelsea evidently seem to have found the knack...
Haha quite recent then, but it's a huge rarity isn't it. Chelsea evidently seem to have found the knack...

It was quite a forgettable game to be fair lol. Before that it was a 1-0 defeat to Villa in 09/10 I think it was?
I think one of the main problems yesterday was Welbeck playing so narrow, that brought Ivanovic inside, and the two CB in Terry and Cahill were never stretched. Its makes RVP's job in that danger area very difficult, and he was frequently going wide to try and find some space. Might have actually prefered Moyes to lose Welbeck and tried with Young and Valencia, at least that would have given a bit more space for Rooney and RVP in the middle.

LOL how about we give them Kagawa in exchange for Gundogan. Then go for Ozil to replace Kagawa. That would be some end to our transfer window :daydreaming:

Latest