Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    I've just been thinking about Antonio Valencia and I would rather we play him at RB (whilst Rafael is injured) than Jones. Valencia has speed, stamina, strength and can put in a good tackle. Plus, he has played there before. Jones is a CB, it's like trying to play Vidic at RB. I just can't stand watching Jones in the final third.
    Valencia has played RB before and has been pretty good at it. I don't like watching Jones at all. Watching him attack is just painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    I've just been thinking about Antonio Valencia and I would rather we play him at RB (whilst Rafael is injured) than Jones. Valencia has speed, stamina, strength and can put in a good tackle. Plus, he has played there before. Jones is a CB, it's like trying to play Vidic at RB. I just can't stand watching Jones in the final third.
    Or we could just give Fabio a go. He should be given a chance to prove himself.

ReputationRep:
    Fabio didn't even make the bench yesterday. Buttner was there. That surprised me.

ReputationRep:
    We need to see how it goes through the season, it's gonna be a long season for you guys, I'm sure you'll get to at least the quarters in the CL and with the strength of the squad should go on good cup runs. People should get their fair share of appearances.

ReputationRep:
    With Schalke and Arsenal through to CL, and if Milan and Lyon go through it could mean Juve (also City) are in pot 3 for UCL group, with teams like PSG, Milan, Schalke, Athletico Madrid in pot 2 and BVB definitely in pot 3 as well, the chances of a tough group is very high this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    With Schalke and Arsenal through to CL, and if Milan and Lyon go through it could mean Juve (also City) are in pot 3 for UCL group, with teams like PSG, Milan, Schalke, Athletico Madrid in pot 2 and BVB definitely in pot 3 as well, the chances of a tough group is very high this year.
    Yup possibility of a nasty group is high. Would laugh if City had another tough group :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    I don't get why there's so many tough groups now. Lyon won't go through. But then that's even worse as sociedad are in pot 4 as they've not been in europe since 04 or something like that. Could end up with United, PSG, Dortmund, Sociedad as a group. Sociedad would be whipping boys despite probably being able to make it out of 50% of the groups and you'd toss a coin with 2 of the three that'll go through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Yup possibility of a nasty group is high. Would laugh if City had another tough group :laugh:
    Bayern, PSG, City and sociedad would be :rofl: I reckon it's time for arsenal to get a group of death now. United as well they've had piss easy groups the past 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    Capital One Cup draw is tonight after Newcastle's match against Morecambe, and the Champions League draw for the group stage is tomorrow at 4:45pm. Any predictions/preferences? For the Capital One Cup, obvs a home tie against some lower league opposition would be nice, but I can see us getting a Prem side (as usual). Here are the pots for the CL group stage so far. I think pot 2 looks alright really, would only want to avoid Atleti and PSG from that. Obviously Juve and Milan could end up in there, wouldn't want them either, though Milan aren't too troublesome anymore. Pot three could be quite nasty with Juve, Dortmund and Leverkusen, or the latter in 4 with Napoli.

What I'm most surprised about is pot 1. Porto and Benfica? Really? Uefa's ratings are odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Capital One Cup draw is tonight after Newcastle's match against Morecambe, and the Champions League draw for the group stage is tomorrow at 4:45pm. Any predictions/preferences? For the Capital One Cup, obvs a home tie against some lower league opposition would be nice, but I can see us getting a Prem side (as usual). Here are the pots for the CL group stage so far. I think pot 2 looks alright really, would only want to avoid Atleti and PSG from that. Obviously Juve and Milan could end up in there, wouldn't want them either, though Milan aren't too troublesome anymore. Pot three could be quite nasty with Juve, Dortmund and Leverkusen, or the latter in 4 with Napoli.

What I'm most surprised about is pot 1. Porto and Benfica? Really? Uefa's ratings are odd.
    I think the UEFA points system is based on an aggregate of the last few years. Therefore, Benfica and Porto deserve to be in pot 1. Although, Atletico Madrid have won two Europa leagues recently.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Bayern, PSG, City and sociedad would be :rofl: I reckon it's time for arsenal to get a group of death now. United as well they've had piss easy groups the past 3 years.
    I wish they'd stop seeding the group stages as they're a complete bore and in most cases a formality. You do get the odd exception e.g United not qualifying two seasons ago and yourselves failing to last season but 9 times out of 10 you can predict who'll get through before a ball has been kicked. Would be nice to have exciting ties from the first week instead of having to play the likes of Otulel Galati, Bursaspor and Cluj. Barca, United and Bayern in the same group? Tough ****. Won't happen though as it would mean UEFA losing revenue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I wish they'd stop seeding the group stages as they're a complete bore and in most cases a formality. You do get the odd exception e.g United not qualifying two seasons ago and yourselves failing to last season but 9 times out of 10 you can predict who'll get through before a ball has been kicked. Would be nice to have exciting ties from the first week instead of having to play the likes of Otulel Galati, Bursaspor and Cluj. Barca, United and Bayern in the same group? Tough ****. Won't happen though as it would mean UEFA losing revenue.
    I rather see top teams in the knock out stages than the likes of Bursaspor. Even though it's not as exciting in the beginning, would you really rather have Madrid vs Bayern in the group stages not the knock out rounds?

ReputationRep:

Looking at the pots, the easiest draw we could have IMO is Marseille, Olympiakos and Anderlecht, hardest would be PSG, Dortmund and Napoli - I'm expecting Schalke, Ajax and Steaua Bucharest myself, which wouldn't be too bad.

I'd like City to try and deal with Barcelona, Shaktar Donetsk/Dortmund and Napoli

ReputationRep:

The CL draw I feel we will get a slighter tougher group. Dortmund, Napoli are the two teams that you wouldn't want to face but it's tough to say how it pans out. I'd embrace it if we got a slighter tougher group because sometimes in groups stages as we showed a few years ago when we got knocked out, sometimes it creeps complacency if you're in an easy group. Out of other three, if we get one good, strong team then I wouldn't be against that.

Capital One, a home tie against a Championship team and below please. I think someone here put a team up of our youngest first team squad which we discussed could be used as a CC team. I'd like to see that. The spine of the team to have DDG, Evans, Carrick, Rooney and try and fill some of the other positions with Januzaj, Lingard etc. In the 90s, if was treated as a game for the younger players but the media won't complain if there is a line up of talented and promising young players that they can keep an eye on.

With it beings Moyes first season, he might look to blend more experience over youth.

ReputationRep:
    Independent reporting this: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...d-8788275.html

No sources so I wouldn't read much into it, and tbh I hope it isn't true.

ReputationRep:
    ^Was just going to post that. You can't blame him, at his age, for wanting to move as it won't come around. Last summer, there was an interest - he's fortunate Moyes has gone and continued that interest but next year? Nope. He knows it aswell. I don't see the motivation for buying him at that price which Everton will try to get but not completely against it, same with Fellaini.

Not explicitly, but Rooney on his FB page confirms pretty much that he's staying. You could say which sets of fans he was referring to lol but in a WC year, important to be playing and in form. I hope he eradicates the emotion of what he's feeling of the discontent against the club and think pragmatically but with Stretford, can't really be too comfortable with that especially if a new deal is discussed at the end of the year. With Nani, and Vidic out of contract end of this season then I imagine that Rooney might be discussed but ideally will be at end of season, to see how he performs.

United's Twitter confirm Henriquez has gone to Zaragoza on loan. I fear he'll be shipped out for good when next summer rolls around, especially if he does well there and our striking options are comfortable. LOL - some random Polish girl seems to want to do something very hard to young Henriquez, gaging from her response to that tweet.

ReputationRep:
    And we've drawn Liverpool...

Appaz that's Suarez's first game after his ban

ReputationRep:
    Should be very good
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    And we've drawn Liverpool...

Appaz that's Suarez's first game after his ban
    What? I didn't think the draw would be made until half 10 :lolwut:

Let me guess Chelsea will be at home to a L1/L2 team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    What? I didn't think the draw would be made until half 10 :lolwut:

Let me guess Chelsea will be at home to a L1/L2 team.
    Swindon

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.