The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9140
I don't believe that. Herrera is nothing special at all, wouldn't expect to pay anything more than 10-15 for him, so United bidding as much as they bid for Fabregas seems unlikely.

I just want the window to close now, all we're being linked to are bad deals.

Apparently Buttner is joining Besiktas on loan http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=5096

EDIT:

Seems the Bilbao president has just confirmed we've bid a whopping €30m for Herrera... Said he wants us to pay the full clause.

Woodward apparently spotted at an airport according to Twitter.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9141
Some people will see Herrera as a panic buy but I think he looks pretty decent. He played well when we played Bilbao a couple of years ago and he is only 24
Original post by xDave-
I don't believe that. Herrera is nothing special at all, wouldn't expect to pay anything more than 10-15 for him, so United bidding as much as they bid for Fabregas seems unlikely.

I just want the window to close now, all we're being linked to are bad deals.

Apparently Buttner is joining Besiktas on loan http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=5096

EDIT:

Seems the Bilbao president has just confirmed we've bid a whopping €30m for Hererra... Said he wants us to pay the full clause.

Woodward apparently spotted at an airport according to Twitter.

To be honest in the current market paying around the £30 million to acquire him isn't such a bad deal especially as we really need someone who can play the defensive midfielder role. But if we're gonna go all out to buy him then why bid for Fellaini? Doesn't make any sense. We've got Rooney and Kagawa fighting for the attacking midfielders/behind the striker position. So where will Fellaini exactly play? The only reason I thought we're going for Fellaini was that Moyes might play him as a DM but that doesn't seem to be the case if we're after Hererra now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9143
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
To be honest in the current market paying around the £30 million to acquire him isn't such a bad deal especially as we really need someone who can play the defensive midfielder role. But if we're gonna go all out to buy him then why bid for Fellaini? Doesn't make any sense. We've got Rooney and Kagawa fighting for the attacking midfielders/behind the striker position. So where will Fellaini exactly play? The only reason I thought we're going for Fellaini was that Moyes might play him as a DM but that doesn't seem to be the case if we're after Hererra now.

Herrera isn't a DM, and he's not really a CM. He generally plays quite far forward in the midfield, sort of inbetween where you'd find Cleverley and Kagawa. I'd class him as an AM. He can and has played further back, though. But that's another million pound midfielder we're going to play out of position/bench. I don't get it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by xDave-
Herrera isn't a DM, and he's not really a CM. He generally plays quite far forward in the midfield, sort of inbetween where you'd find Cleverley and Kagawa. I'd class him as an AM. He can and has played further back, though.

But do we really need a AM right now? Fellaini presumably will play the DM role and Herrera in front of him. It doesn't quite make sense though, Kagawa and Rooney will have to play out wide which I'm not convinced about. I rather we don't go for this guy in that case.
Original post by DaveSmith99
x

Heard about this. *****.
Go for one of the Benders?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sky sports saying we are closer to the Fellaini deal which may mean we have given up on Baines.
Reply 9148
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
Sky sports saying we are closer to the Fellaini deal which may mean we have given up on Baines.

I don't mind us getting Fellaini, but Baines just makes no sense
Reply 9149
So we've bid on Fellaini, Herrera and De Rossi today if you believe the reports, the first two are definitely true though.
Original post by xDave-
So we've bid on Fellaini, Herrera and De Rossi today if you believe the reports, the first two are definitely true though.

Tbh, with the quoted prices, I'd take the OAP

Madrid wanting Bale may be the best thing to happen to Tottenham in their recent history, if AVB can pull it together.
(edited 10 years ago)
While having my doubts about him, at this stage in the window I'd take Fellaini over signing no one. Still don't want Baines though and think that he would be completely unnecessary. Not really seen enough of Herrera to comment properly on him, doesn't really seem like he'd be worth 36m Euro's though.
(edited 10 years ago)
I think the main reason we haven't signed anyone is that Chelsea/City/Monaco/PSG/Madrid have all paid stupid prices for players so the market right now is inflated to the extreme, a couple of seasons ago for instance there is no way a club like Everton reject bids of £28m and £36m for players like Baines and Fellaini, and there is 0 chance they would have felt able to call the former bid insulting either, but when they see players like Fernandinho going for £34m and Bale for £86m, et al, they think they can get much much more than the asking price for players, unfortunately this seems to have hit the asking price of the players we want more than others, largely I suspect because we aren't going to pay stupid money for players who aren't worth it like City and Chelsea, but also because we are looking at better quality players than Liverpool or Tottenham as examples. I think this is also probably behind Arsenal's lack of spending, both clubs have been left a bit miffed by clubs asking for them to pay City/Chelsea prices for players when they don't really see the value in doing so, City or Chelsea can afford to waste money because they have oligarchs to turn on the money tap, for clubs that don't it really puts more pressure on to find value, the problem is that in this market value just doesn't exist.
Herrera's unlikely, and De Rossi even more unlikely, I'd say.

I said just after Moyes' appointment that Fellaini would move to you lot in the last week of August, it was always going to happen. You'd go after a midfielder/attacking target to replace Rooney and eventually you'd get Fellaini. So Rooney probably won't leave but you get Fellaini at least. Don't understand how Fellaini will fit in, but it's better to have him than not to, I guess.
Original post by Straight up G
Herrera's unlikely, and De Rossi even more unlikely, I'd say.

I said just after Moyes' appointment that Fellaini would move to you lot in the last week of August, it was always going to happen. You'd go after a midfielder/attacking target to replace Rooney and eventually you'd get Fellaini. So Rooney probably won't leave but you get Fellaini at least. Don't understand how Fellaini will fit in, but it's better to have him than not to, I guess.

Herrera is possible I think if we can get him for a fee that isn't stupid, otherwise Moyes will tell them to shove their asking price if it's the £30m+ being talked about, United aren't the kind of club to throw that kind of money at that kind of player.

Fellaini I agree we will get, just because I think Moyes is determined to get him and Baines in if nobody else, which I think is good because I rate both highly, Rooney is going nowhere mate, why do you think Chelsea got desperate and signed Eto'o?
Original post by SciFiRory
I think the main reason we haven't signed anyone is that Chelsea/City/Monaco/PSG/Madrid have all paid stupid prices for players so the market right now is inflated to the extreme, a couple of seasons ago for instance there is no way a club like Everton reject bids of £28m and £36m for players like Baines and Fellaini, and there is 0 chance they would have felt able to call the former bid insulting either, but when they see players like Fernandinho going for £34m and Bale for £86m, et al, they think they can get much much more than the asking price for players, unfortunately this seems to have hit the asking price of the players we want more than others, largely I suspect because we aren't going to pay stupid money for players who aren't worth it like City and Chelsea, but also because we are looking at better quality players than Liverpool or Tottenham as examples. I think this is also probably behind Arsenal's lack of spending, both clubs have been left a bit miffed by clubs asking for them to pay City/Chelsea prices for players when they don't really see the value in doing so, City or Chelsea can afford to waste money because they have oligarchs to turn on the money tap, for clubs that don't it really puts more pressure on to find value, the problem is that in this market value just doesn't exist.

Who have Chelsea bought this season for a stupid price?
(edited 10 years ago)
I still firmly believe that Lamela was the first domino, Bale is the second and you know who is the third :colonhash:

Original post by Dogwithwings
Who have Chelsea bought this season for a stupid price?

Willian isn't worth anything like £32m, debatable whether Schurrle is worth £18m as well really.
I don't know anything about Herrera. Is he good enough to play here? I don't mean is he better than Anderson or Cleverley. Is he really good enough for us?
Original post by SciFiRory
Willian isn't worth anything like £32m, debatable whether Schurrle is worth £18m as well really.

The fee was reported as 25m according to sky sports. However, spurs were also about to pay 30m apparently before Chelsea spoke to his agents and hijacked the deal, so in this case it wasnt really Chelsea who inflated the price. Liverpool also offered a similar amount but wouldn't go over 22m or something.

Maybe not 18m for schurrle but how much then? 15m? He's a good player so the inflation is minimal.

Agree with fernandinho and those lot tho

Latest