Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poiuytrewq54321)
    Sky sports saying we are closer to the Fellaini deal which may mean we have given up on Baines.
    I don't mind us getting Fellaini, but Baines just makes no sense

ReputationRep:
    So we've bid on Fellaini, Herrera and De Rossi today if you believe the reports, the first two are definitely true though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    So we've bid on Fellaini, Herrera and De Rossi today if you believe the reports, the first two are definitely true though.
    Tbh, with the quoted prices, I'd take the OAP

Madrid wanting Bale may be the best thing to happen to Tottenham in their recent history, if AVB can pull it together.

ReputationRep:
    While having my doubts about him, at this stage in the window I'd take Fellaini over signing no one. Still don't want Baines though and think that he would be completely unnecessary. Not really seen enough of Herrera to comment properly on him, doesn't really seem like he'd be worth 36m Euro's though.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main reason we haven't signed anyone is that Chelsea/City/Monaco/PSG/Madrid have all paid stupid prices for players so the market right now is inflated to the extreme, a couple of seasons ago for instance there is no way a club like Everton reject bids of £28m and £36m for players like Baines and Fellaini, and there is 0 chance they would have felt able to call the former bid insulting either, but when they see players like Fernandinho going for £34m and Bale for £86m, et al, they think they can get much much more than the asking price for players, unfortunately this seems to have hit the asking price of the players we want more than others, largely I suspect because we aren't going to pay stupid money for players who aren't worth it like City and Chelsea, but also because we are looking at better quality players than Liverpool or Tottenham as examples. I think this is also probably behind Arsenal's lack of spending, both clubs have been left a bit miffed by clubs asking for them to pay City/Chelsea prices for players when they don't really see the value in doing so, City or Chelsea can afford to waste money because they have oligarchs to turn on the money tap, for clubs that don't it really puts more pressure on to find value, the problem is that in this market value just doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Herrera's unlikely, and De Rossi even more unlikely, I'd say.

I said just after Moyes' appointment that Fellaini would move to you lot in the last week of August, it was always going to happen. You'd go after a midfielder/attacking target to replace Rooney and eventually you'd get Fellaini. So Rooney probably won't leave but you get Fellaini at least. Don't understand how Fellaini will fit in, but it's better to have him than not to, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Herrera's unlikely, and De Rossi even more unlikely, I'd say.

I said just after Moyes' appointment that Fellaini would move to you lot in the last week of August, it was always going to happen. You'd go after a midfielder/attacking target to replace Rooney and eventually you'd get Fellaini. So Rooney probably won't leave but you get Fellaini at least. Don't understand how Fellaini will fit in, but it's better to have him than not to, I guess.
    Herrera is possible I think if we can get him for a fee that isn't stupid, otherwise Moyes will tell them to shove their asking price if it's the £30m+ being talked about, United aren't the kind of club to throw that kind of money at that kind of player.

Fellaini I agree we will get, just because I think Moyes is determined to get him and Baines in if nobody else, which I think is good because I rate both highly, Rooney is going nowhere mate, why do you think Chelsea got desperate and signed Eto'o?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    I think the main reason we haven't signed anyone is that Chelsea/City/Monaco/PSG/Madrid have all paid stupid prices for players so the market right now is inflated to the extreme, a couple of seasons ago for instance there is no way a club like Everton reject bids of £28m and £36m for players like Baines and Fellaini, and there is 0 chance they would have felt able to call the former bid insulting either, but when they see players like Fernandinho going for £34m and Bale for £86m, et al, they think they can get much much more than the asking price for players, unfortunately this seems to have hit the asking price of the players we want more than others, largely I suspect because we aren't going to pay stupid money for players who aren't worth it like City and Chelsea, but also because we are looking at better quality players than Liverpool or Tottenham as examples. I think this is also probably behind Arsenal's lack of spending, both clubs have been left a bit miffed by clubs asking for them to pay City/Chelsea prices for players when they don't really see the value in doing so, City or Chelsea can afford to waste money because they have oligarchs to turn on the money tap, for clubs that don't it really puts more pressure on to find value, the problem is that in this market value just doesn't exist.
    Who have Chelsea bought this season for a stupid price?

ReputationRep:
    I still firmly believe that Lamela was the first domino, Bale is the second and you know who is the third

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogwithwings)
    Who have Chelsea bought this season for a stupid price?
    Willian isn't worth anything like £32m, debatable whether Schurrle is worth £18m as well really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anything about Herrera. Is he good enough to play here? I don't mean is he better than Anderson or Cleverley. Is he really good enough for us?

ReputationRep:
    Willian isn't worth anything like £32m, debatable whether Schurrle is worth £18m as well really.
    The fee was reported as 25m according to sky sports. However, spurs were also about to pay 30m apparently before Chelsea spoke to his agents and hijacked the deal, so in this case it wasnt really Chelsea who inflated the price. Liverpool also offered a similar amount but wouldn't go over 22m or something.

Maybe not 18m for schurrle but how much then? 15m? He's a good player so the inflation is minimal.

Agree with fernandinho and those lot tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    I don't know anything about Herrera. Is he good enough to play here? I don't mean is he better than Anderson or Cleverley. Is he really good enough for us?
    No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    No
    That doesn't really surprise me. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I think the main reason we haven't signed anyone is that Chelsea/City/Monaco/PSG/Madrid have all paid stupid prices for players so the market right now is inflated to the extreme, a couple of seasons ago for instance there is no way a club like Everton reject bids of £28m and £36m for players like Baines and Fellaini, and there is 0 chance they would have felt able to call the former bid insulting either, but when they see players like Fernandinho going for £34m and Bale for £86m, et al, they think they can get much much more than the asking price for players, unfortunately this seems to have hit the asking price of the players we want more than others, largely I suspect because we aren't going to pay stupid money for players who aren't worth it like City and Chelsea, but also because we are looking at better quality players than Liverpool or Tottenham as examples.
    Quality players are out there at acceptable prices. Tottenham are about to sign Eriksen for about £10m. That's crazy. It's because he's in the final year of his contract, but even still, he looks immense. Same for Liverpool buying Coutinho for about £8m, what a steal that's proven to be. I don't think the players those two clubs have signed have been lower quality than we'd be looking at, only a few maybe. You just have to be smart about doing transfers, which United aren't being. If we wanted Fellaini, we knew he had a release clause and when it expired. Yet we're bidding after it's expired instead of before, that's just stupid, and United have looked completely inept in the transfer market.

Herrera is possible I think if we can get him for a fee that isn't stupid, otherwise Moyes will tell them to shove their asking price if it's the £30m+ being talked about, United aren't the kind of club to throw that kind of money at that kind of player.
    Bilbao don't do deals, they never sell unless they have to. They were happy to let Llorente rot on the bench for a year and lose him on a free, instead of selling him, when he wanted to leave. There's no negotiating with them; we pay Herrera's release clause or we don't get him, nothing else. United are looking stupid again here, everyone knows how Bilbao work.

Numerous places reporting we're in for Kaka :lol: Oh god, please don't be true...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Numerous places reporting we're in for Kaka :lol: Oh god, please don't be true...
    Hopefully not, he's a spent force and has turned down moves before because nobody else is stupid enough to pay the wages Real are currently giving him. I can't imagine he's on much less than Ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    De Rossi would be a signing value for money considering his history, reported price and would fit in OK. Herrera has come out abit left-field so you imagine that Moyes has probably spotted him a while ago on his travels and that's why they've gone for him alot of money for a player that we already may have. Fellaini deal to happen I'd say.

Kaka?! Wrong move completely. Imagine he'll stay at Madrid or go back to Milan on loan.

ReputationRep:
    De Rossi :coma: I can dream.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Don't think there is anything in the De Rossi rumour at all, he is to Roma what Scholes and Giggs have been to United. Some journalist has probably just spotted that Roma seem to be selling everyone this summer. Marquinhos, Lamela, Osvaldo, Stekelenburg...

ReputationRep:
    Are you telling me you can't afford 10m for eriksen, 8m for coutinho, 25m for bender(his reported asking price) and 21m for mkhitaryian. If you didn't go for such a ridiculously unattainable target in fabregas(who probably isn't who you need unless you get a proper BBM player) I'm sure you'd have got a target for a good amount of money. It was clear from the start that he wanted baines and fellaini, one of the players theres no point for getting him and the other one isn't that great in the position you want him in.

He flopped badly in the transfer market, the money clubs didn't have anything to do with it this season, considering you have the money to buy players in the position. Strootman was available as well cheap on low wages. It's not like you guys haven't overspent the past few years anyway, anderson would be the prime example, personally there's no excuse for not bringing in somebody in your case unless they feel it wasn't needed. Medel was also available and was bought by cardiff, paulinho was available and was bought by tottenham. Loads of players you could have got but didn't get.

I personally think the whole window and signing players was some cover up bull**** so that he can get baines and fellaini.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.