Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Running out of time to get Fellaini. I think now, for the first time in the window, it's feasible that you end up with no new additions. The twitter ****storm is brewing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Running out of time to get Fellaini. I think now, for the first time in the window, it's feasible that you end up with no new additions. The twitter ****storm is brewing...
    We got Varela this window. There will be a bit of a storm because Moyes needed to bring in one player, a midfielder. We wasted most of the summer, then missed Fellaini's buyout clause. Its embarrassing mismanagement tbh. He should have hit Fellaini's buyout clause instantly, then pursued Fabregas or other targets.

ReputationRep:
    Don't believe we need too much, listen - we've been very good recently and haven't even used Kagawa. Too good to sit on our bench.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    We got Varela this window. There will be a bit of a storm because Moyes needed to bring in one player, a midfielder. We wasted most of the summer, then missed Fellaini's buyout clause. Its embarrassing mismanagement tbh. He should have hit Fellaini's buyout clause instantly, then pursued Fabregas or other targets.
    Is Varela not youth player?

Honestly, I don't know if Fellaini would be the right player for you, I don't rate him too much when he's playing deeper and there's no way he'll be pushed up the field if he plays for you, Carrick and your defence would be more exposed than that Slane slut girl haha. At this stage, it's probably better to have Fellaini than not to have him, but he wouldn't be a roaring success imo.

You guys are pretty well stacked in all positions, you look very very strong up front, decent in midfield once you get Fellaini and pretty good in defence as well. On paper it all looks good, but for the first time, I think you're weaker on the pitch than you are on paper. I don't know what it is, but my gut just doesn't back you anymore for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Is Varela not youth player?
    Yeah, he's not really a relevant player, and is going on loan, but I mean the club will talk about the young players in the team and how we have brought in a younger player. Spin it that we are investing in youth rather than a failed window.

Honestly, I don't know if Fellaini would be the right player for you, I don't rate him too much when he's playing deeper and there's no way he'll be pushed up the field if he plays for you, Carrick and your defence would be more exposed than that Slane slut girl haha. At this stage, it's probably better to have Fellaini than not to have him, but he wouldn't be a roaring success imo.
    I don't really rate him that highly, but he's as good as the likes of Fernandinho or Paulinho, hardly a Schweinsteiger or Alonso but good enough to do the business domestically. I'd imagine we'd use him box to box, and he's certainly a step up from Cleverly or Anderson.

You guys are pretty well stacked in all positions, you look very very strong up front, decent in midfield once you get Fellaini and pretty good in defence as well. On paper it all looks good, but for the first time, I think you're weaker on the pitch than you are on paper. I don't know what it is, but my gut just doesn't back you anymore for some reason.
    I think we only really need one midfielder, either someone who will offer defensive protection or the equivalent through possession. I think we'll be fine tbh, the only team I feel is better is City, Chelsea for me are equal, but Pellegrini really isn't getting the most out of them atm. I still think we'll put in a title challenge, but until we fix midfield we are going to struggle in the big games against the likes of City and massively against the big guns of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, he's not really a relevant player, and is going on loan, but I mean the club will talk about the young players in the team and how we have brought in a younger player. Spin it that we are investing in youth rather than a failed window.

I don't really rate him that highly, but he's as good as the likes of Fernandinho or Paulinho, hardly a Schweinsteiger or Alonso but good enough to do the business domestically. I'd imagine we'd use him box to box, and he's certainly a step up from Cleverly or Anderson.

I think we only really need one midfielder, either someone who will offer defensive protection or the equivalent through possession. I think we'll be fine tbh, the only team I feel is better is City, Chelsea for me are equal, but Pellegrini really isn't getting the most out of them atm. I still think we'll put in a title challenge, but until we fix midfield we are going to struggle in the big games against the likes of City and massively against the big guns of Europe.
    Chelski finished 14 points behind us last season. In what way are we equal to them?

ReputationRep:
    People always forget that we play well throughout the season and we keep our form up. Wait till after Christmas, Chelsea and City won't put in amazing performances.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for the transfer window to close so we can get on with the football. The era of big spending, social media, fantasy football and Football Manager/FIFA etc has created a generation of people who think buying players is guaranteed to win you trophies and that not buying them is the end of the world.

Our squad won the Premier League last year by 11 points. Our rivals were MILES behind us last year and have strengthened slightly but for the most part have overspent for players that are good but not great. There are no all-time great squads in English football right now but we're the best of a mediocre bunch, signings or no signings.

ReputationRep:
    If we buy Herrera and Fellaini this window I'd be happy, would be a step down from the players we were linked with this summer but would improve our midfield massively and give Carrick much needed support in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    I can't wait for the transfer window to close so we can get on with the football. The era of big spending, social media, fantasy football and Football Manager/FIFA etc has created a generation of people who think buying players is guaranteed to win you trophies and that not buying them is the end of the world.

Our squad won the Premier League last year by 11 points. Our rivals were MILES behind us last year and have strengthened slightly but for the most part have overspent for players that are good but not great. There are no all-time great squads in English football right now but we're the best of a mediocre bunch, signings or no signings.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dogwithwings)
    Chelski finished 14 points behind us last season. In what way are we equal to them?
    Do you think Benitez/Di Matteo got the most out of that team? By the measure of simple points the manager plays no part. I think Jose will get a lot more out of that side quite simply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)

Arsenal said the exact same thing in 2004 and had the same team and we know what happened the next season. Take it this way, City had the same team as the last season yet got 11 points less than they got last season. While you guys strengthened with van persie yet got the same points total as the last season.

Teams need to evolve at the top in such a league like this.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think Benitez/Di Matteo got the most out of that team? By the measure of simple points the manager plays no part. I think Jose will get a lot more out of that side quite simply.
    Agreed.

We won last season, but our competitors didn't play as well as they can do. Even if the players they have brought in aren't world beaters, it doesn't take away from the fact that we've needed a CM for years and as of yet, haven't brought one in.

When Anderson inevitably goes down, we're one injury away from Giggs or Jones playing at CM.

(Original post by jam277)
    Arsenal said the exact same thing in 2004 and had the same team and we know what happened the next season.
    Exactly.

Man United and Arsenal are the only top teams that have failed to improve on their squads. It's worse for Arsenal for obvious reasons, but if other teams that have won trophies have felt the need to strengthen, why on earth shouldn't this team do the same?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    Agreed.

We won last season, but our competitors didn't play as well as they can do. Even if the players they have brought in aren't world beaters, it doesn't take away from the fact that we've needed a CM for years and as of yet, haven't brought one in.

When Anderson inevitably goes down, we're one injury away from Giggs or Jones playing at CM.
    Tbh, a main problem about chelsea were that they completely changed their style of play and added new players that would need time to gel, you could see that we played much better last season than the previous two seasons and eventually we got a better points total than the previous two. But we were never going to win the league. Similar thing went for City in the 10/11 season. Which is why I'd say we have just as much a chance of winning it as you guys.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed.

The top will be tighter for us, I think we'll be okay with the players we have, the squad is still very competitive. As I said I still think we will be up there with a title challenge but against the top sides, the ones where we can directly mess up their title ambitions they are going to be closer games. Europe is going to be difficult with the squads Bayern, Madrid and Barca have, but I'm happy to put that on hold I think it would be foolish to try and spend our way into competition atm. The weak area is CM and has been for a while, and you have to be realistic with spends and targets but considering the spend we know the club is capable of within reasonable limits, I don't see why we didn't make the purchase. With the Chelsea game, Cleverly and Carrick did fine, but take Cleverly and replace him with a top quality player and I don't think Jose would have left with anything. Moyes is just making it more difficult for himself with seemingly no good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. We won last season, but our competitors didn't play as well as they can do. Even if the players they have brought in aren't world beaters, it doesn't take away from the fact that we've needed a CM for years and as of yet, haven't brought one in.
    Neither did we. 3 league goals from Valencia, Welbeck, Nani and Young last season?

I expect Welbeck, Zaha, Nani and Young to score 15+ between them. Hernandez and Rooney will most likely get 10-15 league goals each. RVP is looking at another 20+ league goals. Kagawa will also add another 5-10 league goals.

In addition, I expect our defence to perform better than last August-December.

Overall, we have so much room for improvement that the signings of Chelsea/City don't bother me.

ReputationRep:
    The top will be tighter for us, I think we'll be okay with the players we have, the squad is still very competitive. As I said I still think we will be up there with a title challenge but against the top sides, the ones where we can directly mess up their title ambitions they are going to be closer games. Europe is going to be difficult with the squads Bayern, Madrid and Barca have, but I'm happy to put that on hold I think it would be foolish to try and spend our way into competition atm. The weak area is CM and has been for a while, and you have to be realistic with spends and targets but considering the spend we know the club is capable of within reasonable limits, I don't see why we didn't make the purchase. With the Chelsea game, Cleverly and Carrick did fine, but take Cleverly and replace him with a top quality player and I don't think Jose would have left with anything. Moyes is just making it more difficult for himself with seemingly no good reason.
    For me, we're pretty much ignoring Europe right now. Our midfield can't compete with the top midfields in Europe. I can accept that. Of course our current squad is still competitive in the league. I wouldn't ever say anything else, but a midfielder is still needed. No matter how much people say that we won the league and that the current team can still improve, a midfielder will still be needed.

(Original post by Manchester United)
    Neither did we. 3 league goals from Valencia, Welbeck, Nani and Young last season?

I expect Welbeck, Zaha, Nani and Young to score 15+ between them. Hernandez and Rooney will most likely get 10-15 league goals each. RVP is looking at another 20+ league goals. Kagawa will also add another 5-10 league goals.

In addition, I expect our defence to perform better than last August-December.

Overall, we have so much room for improvement that the signings of Chelsea/City don't bother me.
    I agree with the first part, but then again, we didn't have a problem scoring goals last season. The goals being spread out a bit more would help, though. It was a bit tougher for us when Van Persie had his dry spell. I think that cost us in the Champions League.

Our problem was the midfield and conceding more goals than we usually do. As you said, it was a lot worse in the first part of the season, but there were still a few games where we ended up conceding first. We still came back to win, but that was not something that has been typical of us in the past. We also had a tough job controlling quite a few matches.

Overall, I agree with your points, but I still think this squad could use 2 new players.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't ever say anything else, but a midfielder is still needed. No matter how much people say that we won the league and that the current team can still improve, a midfielder will still be needed.
    This is basically why I'd disagree with it. The definition of "need", needed means its essential, I need oxygen. I don't think we need a midfielder to compete and win the league in the same way we would need one in Europe. Yes Moyes can go and win it with our current squad, but that doesn't mean CM isn't a weak area. We should be looking to eliminate weak areas, so it comes down to why hasn't it been addressed, and I don't think there is good reason other than incompetence.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we need a midfielder, mainly because every other player in our spine is exceptional. The man next to Carrick isn't always so relevant with guys like Vidic at the back and Robin up top. It could make us pretty unstoppable though.

Tomorrow's match thread, if it hasn't already been posted...

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2451756

ReputationRep:
    A few papers reporting that rooney has suffered a gash on his head during training and will be out for some time. I think Kagawa will end up with more time on the whole but would have liked to have seen Rooney again after his last impressive performance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.