Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The amount of wannabe managers/kneejerk comments in here is laughable, im surprised there aren't more wums in here. This was always going to be a tough game and wont define our season, remember SAF always struggled at Anfield too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member9876)
    Liverpool were just as crap
    That is definitely true, but it will be ignored because we lost. I laughed at the commentary team asking how far this Liverpool team can go. They did nothing all game. We were poor offensively, but we had the ball and didn't have 10/11 behind the ball for 45 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    They did nothing all game.
    Apart from...well you know...the goal.

I just hope you guys give Moyes a fair run at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    The amount of wannabe managers/kneejerk comments in here is laughable, im surprised there aren't more wums in here. This was always going to be a tough game and wont define our season, remember SAF always struggled at Anfield too.
    Ferguson was never a tactical genius. His success in his later years stemmed from his influence over the team and his mentality/ability to get his side over the line. Ferguson undoubtedly made some dodgy decisions, but he would often hold his hands up.

Moyes is proving that he is not a tactical genius, nor is he particularly great at getting his sides over the line and seems like a puppet. He is not a better manager than X manager at X mid table premier league club in my book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Apart from...well you know...the goal.

I just hope you guys give Moyes a fair run at least.
    Well, obviously. I didn't feel the need to type that out. Apart from the goal, they didn't do anything. They sat back and defended all match.

This match wouldn't have been any different with Sir Alex here. The same team would have played. Valencia may have started over Young, but that doesn't change anything. Tactically, we play the same way. Van Persie just didn't really get any chances.

Our gameplan is to cross into a crowded box and if that doesn't work, Van Persie has to do something special.

ReputationRep:
    Poor performance, fine. We did miss our second most important player through injury though. And a trip to Anfield is always one of the toughest matches of the season no matter what the circumstances are. But we were poor.

Still, four points from Swansea away, Chelsea home and Liverpool away. Most people would take that. But again, we were poor.

Hopefully Moyes can see that the likes of Welbeck, Young, Giggs and Cleverley(if a midfielder comes in tomorrow) do not deserve a play in the starting XI for the next match. Hopefully Nani and Kagawa come into the side. I mean, it doesn't take a genius to realise how talented these two are. Give them a chance at least. I'm sure Moyes will.

Hopefully our front six will look like this for the next match, if Rooney is back...

Carrick - Clevs/New signing
    Nani - Rooney - Kagawa
    Van Persie

If Rooney's still injured, then Kagawa central, Nani on the left and Valencia on the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Who would you prefer at right back?
    I would have preferred Valencia. Jones is poor going forward at RB. And it's not like Jones would have done a much better job than Valencia defensively at RB.

I just found out that Nani had previously been injured. So I take back my criticism against Moyes regarding Nani.

If Zaha was fit, I would have started him over Giggs. If not, then Kagawa should have been on the bench to come on for Giggs around half-time.

I would have subbed on Hernandez for Welbeck earlier in the 2nd half.

I suppose the loss is not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I wasn't expecting you to challenge for the title anyway. As long as you beat the weak teams, you should finish in the top 3 comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else think that moyes was slightly two reactive today?

largely he had one big decision to make tactically and that was how to deal with coutinho who plays left wing but cuts in. He could either A) attack down that side forcing coutinho back or Rodgers to make a change or B) put giggs on the right who could drift in and mark him. Sadly he chose to do the latter meaning that young had to play on the left where he was largely ineffective because he cant beat a man on that side and kept getting turned onto his right foot.

ReputationRep:
    Seen Moyes's post match interview, and he is delusional. Doubt he'll criticise the team all season.

ReputationRep:
    What a dull game from both sides.

We missed Rooney after the way he played on Monday night.

ReputationRep:
    The only reason Liverpool were a bit more sedate than usual was because they had an early lead and had the confidence in their defence, knowing that they'd be able to hold it. If they attacked more they could have scored more, but Coutinho only got the ball in advanced positions 3/4 times in the whole game. In the second half, Sturridge fairly regularly got the ball in a threatening position only to not take the gamble, and just play it safely back, keeping hold of the ball. Liverpool also came into the game with something approaching a defensive crisis, with their first choice out injured, the second choice playing with an injury, and the new signing not completed in time to play, so they were well within their rights to sit back and hold out for the win. It's not even like you were camped just outside our box, you just resorted repeatedly to crossing from the deep.

At the end of the day, anyone criticising Liverpool can f off, we got our early goal and then pulled off our game plan to perfection. ****test performance from a United team at Anfield that I've seen in my life time probably. You offered **** all, **** all. 0 points, and a match straight out of Moyes' portfolio of abysmal performances at Anfield, worrying signs for you lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    At the end of the day, anyone criticising Liverpool can f off, we got our early goal and then pulled off our game plan to perfection. ****test performance from a United team at Anfield that I've seen in my life time probably. You offered **** all, **** all. 0 points, and a match straight out of Moyes' portfolio of abysmal performances at Anfield, worrying signs for you lot.
    Cool Story. Playing like that won't work all season. I guess the boom bust cycle is underway.

ReputationRep:
    That is definitely true, but it will be ignored because we lost. I laughed at the commentary team asking how far this Liverpool team can go. They did nothing all game. We were poor offensively, but we had the ball and didn't have 10/11 behind the ball for 45 minutes.
    We did nothing because we had nothing to do. You offered **** all and basically gave us a free win. All we did for 87 minutes was work reasonably hard and let you hand us three points in return for just clearing your average crosses again and again.

ReputationRep:
    Cool Story. Playing like that won't work all season. I guess the boom bust cycle is underway.
    The thing is, we have the players to play attractive football to match any team in this league, and we regularly did so last season.

ReputationRep:
    We did nothing because we had nothing to do. You offered **** all and basically gave us a free win. All we did for 87 minutes was work reasonably hard and let you hand us three points in return for just clearing your average crosses again and again.
    You were sitting on a one goal lead. That is not a safe lead when your opposition has Robin Van Persie. I agree with your second point. We handed you this win through awful offensive play.

The thing is, we have the players to play attractive football to match any team in this league, and we regularly did so last season.
    Attractive football is nice, but it doesn't necessarily win you trophies. This team hasn't been playing attractive football for a few years and has still been successful. Whether that continues is another matter.

ReputationRep:
    You were sitting on a one goal lead. That is not a safe lead when your opposition has Robin Van Persie. I agree with your second point. We handed you this win through awful offensive play.

Attractive football is nice, but it doesn't necessarily win you trophies. This team hasn't been playing attractive football for a few years and has still be successful. Whether that continues is another matter.
    It's a safe lead when you're a one man team and we can quite comfortably devote 2/3 players onto van Persie. Your ****test performance for ages, and it was van Persie's as well. No coincidence.

We (Liverpool) went through a few hard years after 2009. We're on the up, that's clear for anyone to see. No point turning this into a ****-waiving contest, but to everyone in football it's clear that we've got a team that can play attractive football, and now is proving it can scrape the 1-0s that win you titles. It'll take a while, but we'll get to the pinnacle again. This is the United thread anyway so this isn't the place for that talk, I was just saying that criticising Liverpool for their part in today's game is just moronic, you were a goal down, the onus was on you, not us, and you failed spectacularly.

ReputationRep:
    So come on David Moyes
    We go wild wild wild?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I don't think many people are complaining about the result specifically.

They're criticising the way Man Utd played. And they feel Moyes having played Pool for so many years should have known how to set up Utd to beat/handle Pool.

If anyone had been keeping an eye on Pool for years, they would know that they always play against Utd as if it's a cup final. Therefore, Moyes had to get his tactics spot on.

Moyes should have understood the importance of being able to keep possession of the ball at Anfield. His tactics should have suited a possession game. I'm not saying Utd should have tried to play like Barca. But they should have kept possession and used the ball intelligently in the middle and final 3rd of the pitch better than they did imo.

Furthermore, there wasn't enough creativity. They weren't penetrating Pool's defence well enough either. If Rooney and Kagawa weren't going to play, Moyes should have emphasised the importance of movement to create gaps and then exploit those gaps.

Utd's movement in the final third was poor which is no wonder why RVP had a poor game. Not enough movement around him to create space/gaps and no-one to give the service he requires. Crosses were never really going to work against Pool's defence. RVP's no Drogba.

I'm not saying we're better than Mourinho or Fergie. But there's no need to label us kneejerkers or armchair managers in a slightly petty manner when the criticism against Moyes and Utd's performance is legit. Utd could and should have given a better performance than they did today. Moyes' comments after the match aren't helpful either.

However, I agree that the game is not necessarily a season defining match. Especially considering that you can pick up lots of points by beating the weak teams.

Having said that, I still don't expect you to challenge for the title.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester United should surely be sniffing around Ozil.

Might not be exactly what we need, but quality is what we need. I'm sure a midfield three of Carrick Ozil and Cleverely would be far more productive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.