Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heavy rumours that Arsenal are in for Ozil. He's an amazing player and, if he's available, everyone should be in for him. Exactly the type of player we'd have needed today.

Can't say I believe it though, but it is on SSN so I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    I think what people are missing is this was the third game of the season, first few games never define the title destinations, we have picked up fewer points after 3 games than so far.

We have also played chelsea and liverpool already which is a bonus.

Ofcourse we will challenge for the title, city looked average vs hull, chelsea were hardly great at OT last monday and needless to say Spurs were dreadful today, sometimes buying a lot of players is difficult.

As for all the hype about liverpool, they have had 3 1-0 wins, not really had a tough away game yet either so I am sure they will come back down to earth soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    The amount of wannabe managers/kneejerk comments in here is laughable, im surprised there aren't more wums in here. This was always going to be a tough game and wont define our season, remember SAF always struggled at Anfield too.
    spot on!

We have played much worse there before, infact we never play well at Anfield anyway.

People forget we lost our first game at Everton last year 1-0, similar to this game,

Fans need to calm down and get behind moyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Heavy rumours that Arsenal are in for Ozil. He's an amazing player and, if he's available, everyone should be in for him. Exactly the type of player we'd have needed today.

not entirely sure where he could fit into arsenals system tbh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)

If this happens, i'll be seriously, seriously disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    If I was Kagawa, I'd ask for a transfer back to Dortmund. He was the best player in the German league when we bought him, yet Moyes obviously doesn't rate him. If he can't make the bench when Rooney is injured, how will he ever land the CAM spot when Rooney is fit? He won't.

I thought it was fairly obvious after the Chelsea game that we had to work on getting the ball forward quicker and supplying RVP. As soon as Rooney got injured, alarm bells should have been ringing and Kagawa should have been chosen to play CAM.

As for Ozil, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sold to Arsenal tomorrow. Modric and Isco are just so good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why we would buy Ozil. He's another #10. Kagawa can't even get on the pitch. With Rooney in the squad as well, he's not going to play.

Also, how many times has Jones injured a player in training? This must be the second or third time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    If I was Kagawa, I'd ask for a transfer back to Dortmund. He was the best player in the German league when we bought him, yet Moyes obviously doesn't rate him. If he can't make the bench when Rooney is injured, how will he ever land the CAM spot when Rooney is fit? He won't.

I thought it was fairly obvious after the Chelsea game that we had to work on getting the ball forward quicker and supplying RVP. As soon as Rooney got injured, alarm bells should have been ringing and Kagawa should have been chosen to play CAM.

As for Ozil, I wouldn't be surprised if he was sold to Arsenal tomorrow. Modric and Isco are just so good.
    I don't understand why Moyes doesn't get another attacking midfielder if he doesn't rate Kagawa. If he doesn't see the fact United need creativity then he clearly is delusional, and I was one of the people that backed Moyes (I still do) but I'm starting to have my doubts now. First he's decision to leave out Kagawa then to play Giggs in such a big game is foolish. Sir Alex used Giggs as a sub in most games and when we needed to contain and hold on to a lead, he did that job very well as he has the experience. But to put him straight into the starting team for big games is just unexplainable.

And if he doesn't sign anyone by the end of the transfer window then I'm struggling to see how we're gonna challenge for the title with the current midfield. No matter what Moyes says I think he'll be worried by how many few chances we've been creating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    I don't see why we would buy Ozil. He's another #10. Kagawa can't even get on the pitch. With Rooney in the squad as well, he's not going to play.

Also, how many times has Jones injured a player in training? This must be the second or third time.
    People are complaining that we need a creative midfielder.

I don't understand what people are hoping for. Either we go and get a better sideway passer than Cleverley and still struggle to an extent against better opposition or go and get a midfielder who can split defences. If we don't go in for someone of Ozil's ilk, then we are basically just looking for another neat and tidy player like Carrick (i.e a player who is not capable at breaking apart sturdy defences) Just look at Tottenham. Dembele, Paulinho and Capoune. They didn't create a chance between them today. Those sort of midfielders aren't what we need.

Most No10s can slot into a centre midfield role or spearhead a three man midfield, i.e the likes of Thiago, Gotze etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    People are complaining that we need a creative midfielder.

I don't understand what people are hoping for. Either we go and get a better sideway passer than Cleverley or go and get a midfielder who can split defences. If we don't go in for someone of Ozil's ilk, then we are basically just looking for another neat and tidy player like Carrick (i.e a player who is not capable at breaking apart sturdy defences)

Most No10s can slot into a centre midfield role or spearhead a three man midfield, i.e the likes of Thiago, Gotze etc
    I want a central midfielder that is a bit more creative and is happy to make forward passes. Even though it was never going to happen, Fabregas would have been the perfect player. He is capable of playing CM and he is also creative and can make forward passes.

As far as I know, Ozil plays quite far forward. If he can't play CM, I don't see the point in buying him. Any #10 that's brought in is going to be competing with Rooney and they're not going to get in the team ahead of him.

ReputationRep:
    'A big well done to Ryan Giggs today aswell. I remember when he had to take out injunctions to remain anonymous.'

lol'd, hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    I want a central midfielder that is a bit more creative and is happy to make forward passes. Even though it was never going to happen, Fabregas would have been the perfect player. He is capable of playing CM and he is also creative and can make forward passes.

As far as I know, Ozil plays quite far forward. If he can't play CM, I don't see the point in buying him. Any #10 that's brought in is going to be competing with Rooney and they're not going to get in the team ahead of him.
    Wrong mentality, Manchester United need to evolve. Why stick with the notion of a static 4-4-2? It does not work with average wingers and against top teams.

Why wouldn't this work?

De Gea

Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Carrick Cleverley

Ozil Rooney Kagawa

Van Persie

We don't NEED to play with wingers. That formation would work. We would be more fluid and cohesive in attack. Welbeck is ****, jokes that he was meant to be our most creative player today. Yet people are happy to seem him play week in week out.

Look at Chelsea, Mata, Oscar and Hazard all no.10s yet the system works..

Having only one 'creative player' in Rooney is where the buck stops.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say anyone is having a knee-jerk reaction and already writing the season off but I don't believe there is anything harsh regarding Moyes' line-up, tactics and strategy for this match. I'm behind him and understand that he's been given the squad as it is as SAF did not alot to boost the midfield issues that were simmering for a few years before he went but for whatever reason, failed to adequately resolve it.

But I still expected to see and still hope to see, some new inventions and ideas from Moyes. This is his team now, and I hope that in time, he'd have the confidence to play players based on performances rather than reputation. Time is left in the transfer window but with other sides strengthening, if we had the same squad then no matter what, we'd have a tough season ahead of us, more so because SAF is not here.

Ozil is not what we need despite him being a brilliant player. He's not a deep lying midfielder that we need despite him having the technical ability and it'd send out a wrong message to Kagawa. Rooney if fit will play there, so Ozil wouldn't get major gametime in that position.

Fellaini, I'm not so sure is the type of player we need but willing to get him a chance. De Rossi would be amazing to lure away but can't see that happening and don't think we're willing to meet the clause of Herrera to get him to leave Bilbao.

ReputationRep:
    Even though thought of Ozil going to Arsenal is extremely annoying, he isn't what we need. Kagawa can fulfil that number 10 role for us its just that Moyes is being a **** and not playing him. Its been said so many times before that. we need someone like Gundogan, Modric etc who would be a perfect partner for Carrick

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ozil wasn't that good when Madrid played us last year, we have enough creative players tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member9876)
    Ozil wasn't that good when Madrid played us last year, we have enough creative players tbh
    Ozil is one of the best CAM's in the world. In fact, I can't think of any better in the last 2-3 seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Ozil is one of the best CAM's in the world. In fact, I can't think of any better in the last 2-3 seasons.
    We need steel in midfield tbh, if kagawa was given time he could easily
    Do what ozil does

ReputationRep:
    maybe this isnt an exact measure but if you look at the votes for the ballon d'or the only CAM/no 10 that was ahead of rooney was ozil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    not entirely sure where he could fit into arsenals system tbh?
    Anywhere he wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by member9876)
    We need steel in midfield tbh, if kagawa was given time he could easily
    Do what ozil does
    I agree, Kagawa could be a world-class CAM. However, I can't see him getting enough game-time unfortunately, as we seem to be stuck with having to use wingers/Giggs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.