Turn on thread page Beta

The Manchester United Thread X watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    No doubts that Kagawa is staying.

Not looking forward to tomorrow tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, if I haven't said so already, I think 2(not one) signings in CM are needed to perfect the team, watching barca, fabregas and iniesta were able to drive the ball in the centre, control the tempo of a game and their movement were sublime(well in the first half at least) and that seemed to be one thing you really lacked today. This affects your attacking impetus, and while young passing back to goal instead of doing that same cutback skill he does to get in front of his man and failing was annoying; I noticed that there was nobody for him to pass to a lot of the time(although he was too negative) but there was no drive and the link between midfield and attack was non existent which leaded to a real lack of service. Notice how many clear or half chances RVP had this game, we know how clinical the guy is, yet he had little to no chances to convert.

Tottenham suffered from the same thing today btw, although that was probably down to even more tactical naivety than moyes did.

Firstly before I talk about CM's I'd say that rooney was a sore miss(who sorts out your midfield-attack transition to an extent and tbh would be better in CM than cleverley tbh), and if kagawa was fit and wasn't in the squad then moyes needs a slap. There was no energy whatsoever in midfield, essentially you played with two players in midfield recirculating possession when one only needs to do that job(carrick) and having two just killed the tempo of the game. Add that to wingers who don't take on their men(bar nani who's obviously not match fit but offered more than giggs, valencia and young combined) I don't even want to talk about giggs, but for the good of the squad he needs to learn from neville and scholes and retire for better energetic options, a legend and amazing servant to the club, but he's been past it for years and he doesn't do anything for me to justify keeping him in the team over kagawa ffs.
    Midfielders
    Spoiler:
    Show

So in terms of the midfielders you need(as I think 2 are needed) is firstly a man who drives and transitions the midfield to attack, which is a real problem against a team like liverpool, who can defend deep with 2 banks of 4 but come flying out of the blocks early on in a match(fabregas type) and press a lot too so you can easily find yourself 1-0 down without a clue on what to do. Secondly, a DM who's pretty aggressive in his approach, a tenacious tackler and will run hard in a match, positively try and take the ball and press midfielders over relying on interceptions like carrick/arteta/busquetts does. Of course you wouldn't need both signings to play in a match, but if we're talking about europe and beating all the big teams in the prem, a player like martinez/gustavo/sandro is needed as well as a fabregas/iniesta type player.

Lets face it, had you at least one of the two players you'd have won this match and the chelsea match. A thing that was rather telling in the match was de gea passing it to ferdinand, liverpool were pressing and ferdinand was looking for someone to play to and he had his hands out like where's the movement, if it was barca, madrid, bayern, dortmund or even chelsea/arsenal, you'd have seen another player in midfield drop deep to collect the ball from ferdinand and he'd have at least 2 options to pass to.

While the winger problem is bad as well, I don't think that it's at a level that it'll cost you trophies if you can control the midfield. Barcelona last season had a pretty bad winger/inside forward problem, villa was off form, sanchez scored his first league goal in february ffs and pedro was a shadow of the player he was in 2011 and literally they had messi doing the jobs of the wingers and the strikers, but they still won the league by far and got to the semis of the CL because they could control their games.
    (Original post by JM1987)
    we were offered ozil but moyes didnt want him
    Not the person you need though with kags and rooney there. Maybe a 3AM system could fit you though. Would like to see it, could work in the future but not atm.

ReputationRep:
    Every single word of that post is correct.

ReputationRep:
    The Nani bashing by some fans is ridiculous, Giggs, Welbeck, Young and Valenca were so boring to watch, never taking on players or doing anything noteworthy, Nani brings in some much needed creativity.

Moyes clearly doesn't rate Kagawa for a reason, maybe the lad seems to find it hard in England remember he see's him in training, it looks like if Fellani was brought then he would replace Kagawa/Giggs as Rooney cover.

Arsenal seem to be close to Ozil whereas I'm sure we will try to sign Fellani tomorrow with probably a failed bid for someone like Kroos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    The Nani bashing by some fans is ridiculous, Giggs, Welbeck, Young and Valenca were so boring to watch, never taking on players or doing anything noteworthy, Nani brings in some much needed creativity.

Moyes clearly doesn't rate Kagawa for a reason, maybe the lad seems to find it hard in England remember he see's him in training, it looks like if Fellani was brought then he would replace Kagawa/Giggs as Rooney cover.

Arsenal seem to be close to Ozil whereas I'm sure we will try to sign Fellani tomorrow with probably a failed bid for someone like Kroos.
    I'll admit it was good to see Nani take players on, but he constantly makes the wrong decisions. There is next to no end product from Nani, ever. Nothing he does ever comes off. It's been like this for years, he's played like he has been transitioning into the team for years. People day he needs a long run of games too. He has not proven himself good enough to earn that, not to mention the squad rotation.

But we still need him, as we do have very few options left in midfield...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    One final thing, I'm not going to discount cleverley yet or say get rid, he's not good enough atm, and while I doubt whether he'd ever be good enough for starting for united, if he shows any of the qualities of the two CM/DM players I talked about consistently(Most likely the fabregas type since I think he's not aggressive or strong enough to be a tough tackling DM) then of course he should start.

Although while the defeat showed problems, liverpool away and chelsea in the first 3 games is tough and with the respective teams forms and players, 4-6 points was where I expected you guys to be. So there's no need to hit a panic button. Good luck for the season, you'll get back on track when you get a good run of games than this suicidal fixture list, I hope you guys challenge and make it an eventful title race this season.

ReputationRep:
    Tbf, this is probably your best performance against us in years, and yet you've lost whereas in the past you've scraped wins...

This result is more about liverpool than anything else, and the resilience and character they have built up since last year.

ReputationRep:

This but we'll see with kags, I think early on in the season it's hard to judge how the manager sees players, you have a big squad and they all need gametime, as the season goes on, he finds out his best 11 then you'll see how it goes, look at hugo lloris, he was their no 13 yet he played a game in the league and performed well and became first choice via merit. Right now I think he's trying to find his best squad(as are other managers)

(Original post by Ggmu!)
    I'll admit it was good to see Nani take players on, but he constantly makes the wrong decisions. There is next to no end product from Nani, ever. Nothing he does ever comes off. It's been like this for years, he's played like he has been transitioning into the team for years. People day he needs a long run of games too. He has not proven himself good enough to earn that, not to mention the squad rotation.

But we still need him, as we do have very few options left in midfield...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But why does valencia plays for weeks on end in terrible form then?

ReputationRep:
    Sky sources say that Manchester United have made contact with Mezut Ozil's representatives.

Would be a great signing if we can pull it off. PSG and Arsenal also interested though.

ReputationRep:
    What puts me off Fellaini is that he's neither one or the other. He's not a technical player, nor is he someone who possess great visual awareness and creativity. We need a CM who drive us up the pitch, find that killer pass or produce that moment of magic. He won't provide that. There's also huge question marks over his temperament, since every time I've seen him on Match of the Day he's either head-butting or Elbowing someone in the face. Seriously, If we're going to buy him with the motif of playing him as a DM, I'd rather we just buy an established DM who can do a real job for us protecting our back 4. Rather than someone who's spent a season playing in an advance role.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    BBC have said were not in for Ozil. Signing him would be a step in the wrong direction, and certainly not for the reported £42.5m. He plays a similar role to Rooney/Kagawa.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd still bloody take ozil! He's world class.

But ignore all the rumours until it is confirmed, stone of them are probably shots in the dark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cannot believe Real are selling Ozil, him and Ronaldo had a deadly partnership, and Bale and Isco haven't proven anything yet, they should wait at least a season, but Real just love to buy a new paint job whilst selling out their engine.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Cannot believe Real are selling Ozil, him and Ronaldo had a deadly partnership, and Bale and Isco haven't proven anything yet, they should wait at least a season, but Real just love to buy a new paint job whilst selling out their engine.

Tbf isco has been beasting it so far for real. He'll replace ozil without too many problems tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I think any fans hoping for a signing will be left disappointed today. Moyes' post-match interview spoke volumes about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stopmessing)
    What puts me off Fellaini is that he's neither one or the other. He's not a technical player, nor is he someone who possess great visual awareness and creativity. We need a CM who drive us up the pitch, find that killer pass or produce that moment of magic. He won't provide that. There's also huge question marks over his temperament, since every time I've seen him on Match of the Day he's either head-butting or Elbowing someone in the face. Seriously, If we're going to buy him with the motif of playing him as a DM, I'd rather we just buy an established DM who can do a real job for us protecting our back 4. Rather than someone who's spent a season playing in an advance role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The thing is he's not even a good DM, atm he's been playing in the DM position and he doesn't protect the back 4 enough, well I watch the highlights vs norwich he didn't follow his man for one of the goals and they did a through ball and a norwich player was free in space, and I noticed against cardiff(I watched the whole match) and watched it fully and he was doing the same thing. What's the point of having a player like that who won't cover and sweep up when offside traps don't work.

In AM he offers a different option and fair enough here, he's got strength, can allow you to get the ball high up the pitch quickly and I guess is an outlet if you're feeling the force and need a battering ram to hold the ball and trouble the defenders/midfielders. But when there's such a problem in CM, that renders a luxury signing in AM(while good there) pretty useless.

Just go for lars bender ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Tbf isco has been beasting it so far for real. He'll replace ozil without too many problems tbh.
    Isco is great but has he ever showed such form across a whole season, he could get injured or just have bad form and the Ozil cries will begin, though Modric could play there.

ReputationRep:
    Isco is great but has he ever showed such form across a whole season, he could get injured or just have bad form and the Ozil cries will begin, though Modric could play there.

I know, but 12/13, I'd say isco did better than ozil, he was pretty amazing for malaga last season, I didn't get to watch him too much, isco did beast it against real last season. Ozil while great was rather inconsistent last season, modric even started playing over him/di maria at one point.

At least if real get 43m for him, it's good business. Around his price, and 3 times more than he costed in 2010. Modric is fine there, bale can play there too so it's not like he's really needed. Di maria has to stay though.

ReputationRep:
    Can't see us signing Ozil. He's just a better version of Kagawa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manchester United)
    Can't see us signing Ozil. He's just a better version of Kagawa.
    Where do you think Fellani will play, Ozil is better than Fellani would take him if Moyes thinks Kagawa is not good enough, plus Rooney hasn't signed a new contract.
    (Original post by jam277)
    I know, but 12/13, I'd say isco did better than ozil, he was pretty amazing for malaga last season, I didn't get to watch him too much, isco did beast it against real last season. Ozil while great was rather inconsistent last season, modric even started playing over him/di maria at one point.

At least if real get 43m for him, it's good business. Around his price, and 3 times more than he costed in 2010. Modric is fine there, bale can play there too so it's not like he's really needed. Di maria has to stay though.
    Ozil was inconsistent last season but still was quite good against the best sides, I still think Ozil is their best player after Ronaldo.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.