Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Yes, he did, but that was pre-Bale.

No. Just no... That's a good price for Ozil, he's worth that. Baines and Fellaini combined are not worth that, not even close.

It's insane. I'd also question what City and maybe even Chelsea are doing, more specifically why they're doing nothing. Ozil just isn't the type of player you ignore if he becomes available, he's better than whoever else you have in that position, bar maybe Mata. €50m is a steal when you consider what good players are sold for these days too.
    How much reason is there for Chelsea to buy Ozil now though? Mata is on a similar level whilst Oscar KDB and even Hazard play there. Unless we buy him for him to be played out wide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    I would rather noone than those two at that price.
    I only meant that in the context if we were to spent 42.5 on Ozil or Baines and Fellani. If we pay more than 23.5 mil for fellani, that's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Atm, we are in a position where we the only top team that has not improved in this transfer window. I'd rather get a world class player in Ozil, even if we do not neccesarily need a player in that position. Whats wrong with having another player in the number 10 role, it'll only be a good problem we'll have, since when did anyone complain of having too many good players. As it stands i want any good player we can get because as it stands, im not expecting anything on top of our community shield this season. Moyes has inherited a succesful team, that is used to winning, unlike SAF, so we should expect Moyes to get us our first trophy under him sooner than we did under SAF. Top teams cannot stand still in the modern age as every other top team continues to improve and build every year. We cannot afford to get left behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ozil would be worth getting just to piss off Arsenal fans. Who cares if we don't 'need' him. When a world class player becomes available, we should always be in for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanLim93)
    Where would he play in our system? We have both Kagawa and Rooney there. Moyes isn't just going to change the way United plays because Ozil is avalaible. Baines can push Evra for his fighting spot, Fellaini can play beside Carrick to break up the play and let him have the space to make that pass. we would actually have someone who can hit decent set pieces and have more muscle in midfield.
    Baines isn't going to come just to push Evra, its a world cup year and he's going to want to be playing week in week out to try and get a place ahead of Cole. Likewise Evra isn't going to be happy to sit on the bench as his place in the French team isn't guaranteed. The only way Baines would have made any sense whatsoever was if Evra as pushing for a move away, and there's nothing to suggest he was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Baines isn't going to come just to push Evra, its a world cup year and he's going to want to be playing week in week out to try and get a place ahead of Cole. Likewise Evra isn't going to be happy to sit on the bench as his place in the French team isn't guaranteed. The only way Baines would have made any sense whatsoever was if Evra as pushing for a move away, and there's nothing to suggest he was.
    I think you're taking it in the wrong context, i meant i would prefer Baines and Fellani against the option of Ozil for 42.5 million. I'm not saying i want Baines to come in. If it was one or the other i would have picked the Everton pair.

ReputationRep:
    Where would he play in our system? We have both Kagawa and Rooney there. Moyes isn't just going to change the way United plays because Ozil is avalaible. Baines can push Evra for his fighting spot, Fellaini can play beside Carrick to break up the play and let him have the space to make that pass. we would actually have someone who can hit decent set pieces and have more muscle in midfield.
    It's not really a formation change, it's just a different type of attacking outlet. Ozil can play instead of the right winger (which yesterday was Giggs...). Kagawa and Rooney have both done this instead of the left winger. A winger doesn't just have to be someone that can pace up the wing; it shouldn't just be that. And, like I said, we'd still have that option.

(Original post by The Assassin)
    How much reason is there for Chelsea to buy Ozil now though? Mata is on a similar level whilst Oscar KDB and even Hazard play there. Unless we buy him for him to be played out wide.
    Yeah, I know. I don't think you need to, I'm just saying that he could get into your team and be one of your better players. But yeah, KdB looks like he's gonna be good anyway, no reason to block him with Ozil.

ReputationRep:
    So much negativity. We'll be top of the league by Xmas

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately I think you will be right

(Glory, glory Leeds United....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Baines is also 29 in December. Already probably slower than Evra on the turn. In 2/3 years he'l be Gary Neville-esqe. Great coup for 20m+

ReputationRep:
    How about if Ozil plays an advanced CM role alongside carrick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    It's not really a formation change, it's just a different type of attacking outlet. Ozil can play instead of the right winger (which yesterday was Giggs...). Kagawa and Rooney have both done this instead of the left winger. A winger doesn't just have to be someone that can pace up the wing, it shouldn't just be that. And, like I said, we'd still have that option. .
    We have the likes of Nani and Valencia who didn't play yesterday. Are they going to be happy sitting on the bench? Doesn't seem likely that any of them will leave. Also what about the growth of Zaha and Lingard who were great on tour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    I doubt it tbh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    Matee SAF is not here anymore , get the point that its different now ! , we need quality. Our squad isnt as good as chelseas or citys or even spurs (once they click)
    Im not being cynacal im being realistic , dont be naive just because we are champions. Mean nothing anymore

ReputationRep:
    We have the likes of Nani and Valencia who didn't play yesterday. Are they going to be happy sitting on the bench? Doesn't seem likely that any of them will leave. Also what about the growth of Zaha and Lingard who were great on tour?
    I don't think it needs to be said that Valencia and Young aren't good enough for United. I'd give Nani a chance; it's not like he'll never play anyway, clubs rotate. Same for Zaha, both he and Nani can play on either wing, so they can easily start or be subbed on at any time.

As for youth like Lingard, Powell and Januzaj, well I don't see any of them in the squad now anyway... Powell was just in the reserves all last year, United aren't developing the youth well at all. They should take a leaf out of Chelsea's book, their outgoing loans have worked wonders for them. Much better than playing for the reserves. We've done it before with Cleverley and Welbeck, dunno why they're not doing it now.

ReputationRep:
    BBC are expecting Felliani deal to be done. At this point, given the lack of cover and quality in CM even a B+ midfielder will do and if nothing else there's cover to rest Carrick. Wrt Cleverley I've noticed he isn't playing as much further forward as he was under SAF, previous year he would join in the attack with the front 4 instead of just sitting deep with Carrick as he's doing this season. We do have a very good squad in defence and the best striker combinations in the league, Moyes needs to just give Kagawa and Cleverly the freedom so we can create for our strikers.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be a disappointing day.

Even Arsenal are doing something.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ManL_Olu)
    <br />
    <br />
    Agree its soo fustrating , it looks like we're going to get felleni or herrera neither are real match winners , as i said before team spirit aint going to win us the league without saf we neeeed quality ... & as i said on my twitter discussions @7olubantz ... Manutd have 2 matchwinners ( rvp,wayne) .. Liverpool have 2/3 , City have 3/4 ( yaya, aguero, joveticand silva) spurs have ( lamela , eriksen, soldado) & now arsenal have (carz, girould, wilshere and now potentially ozil) Manutd need quality our 1st XL is 4th best at the moment we Cant compete for the CL .. Soo upset
    Sorry but... what?

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Still not a peep from Moyes. I'm beginning to get ******** off. As someone said, we don't have Fergie anymore. I'm sure he would have made a quality signing or 2 this summer. Top clubs expect top managers to hit the ground running. All this talk about giving Moyes time etc etc blah blah means absolutely nothing to me if in 2 years time we are battling for 4th - we won't become attractive as a football club anymore.

Football has moved on from the days of 1 manager for life. Maybe we just have to accept that we have to keep changing our managers every 5 years or so. I'd rather that than battling for fourth every year. Fortunately, if Moyes isn't successful, I can still see top managers wanting to come to our club, such is the history.

Another thing, people talk of having a solid team. Our core is actually pretty old. Ferdinand likely to retire next year, possibly even this. Vidic, a year or 2. RVP, won't be banging in 25+ goals a season in a season or 2's time. Young/Valenica old, and declining. The list goes on...Jones (forever getting injured) Smalling (forever getting injured) no proper LB replacement for Evra (I can see us getting shaw in the future though). I think Moyes is playing cautious with everything. I can't see him giving Jones/smalling a chance as long as Fer/Vid are fit and can play...

Maybe what I wrote is a bunch of rabble, but i guess that just shows the status of my mind atm.

But yh in Moyes we trust etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I don't think Felliani is that good tbh, but I'd be happier if we signed him than Ozil. Ultimatly, if we signed Ozil we'd still be screwed in CM. Once we fix the CM position we have ability not to get pushed around in midfield like we did yesterday, we can go 2 man with Carrick doing the classy stuff and Felliani doing the box to box work, with Rooney and RVP providing the goods or we could go 3 man with Carrick, Cleverly and Felliani giving as a good mix of everything, and have a front 3. He's a big guy too, so more at either end for set pieces. Felliani is not Fabregas level of quality, but I don't think he's much different from the likes of Paulinho, Ramires or Fernandinho from what I've seen of them. If you have faith in Rooney and Kag we don't need Ozil.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.