Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or has Carrick gone from being underrated to overrated in the space of a year or so?

Good at what he does, but he is 33 next year, so even he will need to be phased out soon. Even if we get someone to play with him for now, next summer we're going to be looking for his replacement, since Cleverly/Anderson will never cut the mustard.

He needs essentially someone to do his running and hustling and to do the tackling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    BBC are expecting Felliani deal to be done. At this point, given the lack of cover and quality in CM even a B+ midfielder will do and if nothing else there's cover to rest Carrick.
    Felliani isn't a B+ signing. That's overrating him.

If Everton sign McCarthy, It looks like Felliani will be coming here. I just don't see what he offers in the vast majority of our matches. We had problems controlling a lot of games last season, so we go for Felliani? We're not going to pay around £25m for a guy to cover. If that's his price, he's going to start.

ReputationRep:
    Ozil has more assists that ANYONE else in the world in the last 3 years, and we're just letting him go to our rivals. I don't care if we have Kagawa and Rooney, we can easily fit them all in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Ozil has more assists that ANYONE else in the world in the last 3 years, and we're just letting him go to our rivals. I don't care if we have Kagawa and Rooney, we can easily fit them all in.
    Unless you're Barcelona I find it pretty much impossible to believe that a club couldn't fit someone as good as Ozil into their team.

ReputationRep:
    Spanish media reporting that Herrera has told us he will take a reduced salary to help push his transfer through. Woodward is one cheap ****er if he doesn't get his done for the sake of 6 million euros.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal on the verge of signing ozil, and we're going for fellaini? Surely it should be the other way round...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Spanish media reporting that Herrera has told us he will take a reduced salary to help push his transfer through. Woodward is one cheap ****er if he doesn't get his done for the sake of 6 million euros.
    Is this Herrera any good?

I've played as Bilbao on FIFA (lol) and he's pretty good on there, but I rarely watch Spanish football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Is this Herrera any good?

I've played as Bilbao on FIFA (lol) and he's pretty good on there, but I rarely watch Spanish football.
    I'm not sure, I don't really like Spanish football so don't watch it much either. We obviously rate him though if we are willing to spend 30m euros on him, so what's 6m euros to a club like us?

ReputationRep:
    Rather we use the Fellaini money to bid for Di Maria

ReputationRep:
    How the mighty tumble!

ReputationRep:
    Why? ^

Di Maria is a player in a position you're absolutely stacked in. Young, Nani, Valencia, Zaha, Giggs.

Fellaini's not the best midfielder out there, but considering you're midfield is Cleverly and Carrick, Fellaini's basically twice as good as Cleverly will ever be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Over2you)
    Still not a peep from Moyes. I'm beginning to get ******** off. As someone said, we don't have Fergie anymore. I'm sure he would have made a quality signing or 2 this summer. Top clubs expect top managers to hit the ground running. All this talk about giving Moyes time etc etc blah blah means absolutely nothing to me if in 2 years time we are battling for 4th - we won't become attractive as a football club anymore.

Football has moved on from the days of 1 manager for life. Maybe we just have to accept that we have to keep changing our managers every 5 years or so. I'd rather that than battling for fourth every year. Fortunately, if Moyes isn't successful, I can still see top managers wanting to come to our club, such is the history.

Another thing, people talk of having a solid team. Our core is actually pretty old. Ferdinand likely to retire next year, possibly even this. Vidic, a year or 2. RVP, won't be banging in 25+ goals a season in a season or 2's time. Young/Valenica old, and declining. The list goes on...Jones (forever getting injured) Smalling (forever getting injured) no proper LB replacement for Evra (I can see us getting shaw in the future though). I think Moyes is playing cautious with everything. I can't see him giving Jones/smalling a chance as long as Fer/Vid are fit and can play...

Maybe what I wrote is a bunch of rabble, but i guess that just shows the status of my mind atm.

But yh in Moyes we trust etc etc
    Fergie left the CM position untouched for years and left you in the mess for this position(which is rather easy to fill) since you have the money for these players.

Like everyone is saying, it's a rather long term project with moyes with the way SAF left the squad, the squad now is fine to win the title(though I doubt they will) but looking at it in a different perspective, the defence is fine in terms of strength and depth, I think an LB if fabio doesn't cut it will be needed in the future but atm you're fine in terms of personnel.

Vidic is 31, he still has at least 3 years at the top and he hasn't declined. Zanetti's still doing it at 40 at a more physically demanding position than CB. Also the core(bar carrick have ready and ripe replacements) in evans/jones and kagawa, hernandez is a good player too and while he won't fill the void he'll get goals for you guys. You don't need a striker atm anyway. Drogba's still doing it at 35 and RVP's game isn't reliant on pace or stamina, purely technical ability. So it won't be a straight decline.

He doesn't need to play jones though yet if ferdinand and that are doing it, in CB terms they are rather young to be in the first team, the last player to make it into the first team of a big club as a starter under 20 were nastasic and varane and that shows their ability. Savic failed at city yet he's doing great for fiorentina, which shows the step up required to be a starter for a top club as a CB, before then you got players like ramos/carragher coming in at 19 and they were at RB a lot of the time early in their career(like jones and smalling are).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gumtrees)
    Why? ^

Di Maria is a player in a position you're absolutely stacked in. Young, Nani, Valencia, Zaha, Giggs.

Fellaini's not the best midfielder out there, but considering you're midfield is Cleverly and Carrick, Fellaini's basically twice as good as Cleverly will ever be.
    And yet we played Giggs in his position against Liverpool. At least we'd have a quality player starting every game on one flank.

Tbh at this point, I'd rather we signed no one and prove everyone wrong with our current squad.

Also, Fellaini is not that good.

ReputationRep:
    Why? ^

Valencia, Young and Giggs should not be starting for Man United. If Di Maria is available and wants to leave, we should be trying to buy him. This team needs good wingers.

Fellaini is also not twice as good as Cleverley. They both have very different abilities.

ReputationRep:
    We will look like idiots if we buy Fellaini for more than £23+mil whilst rejecting Ozil.

Herrera is set to come United according to the guy on SSN, how good is he 36mil is a lot of money. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Why? ^

response below

(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Rather we use the Fellaini money to bid for Di Maria
    Agree here, if it was any other player who would sort your problems in CM out then I'd say there's no need for Di Maria over a CM as CM is most important wrt controlling a game, funny thing is that you have the money for both players.

But Di Maria will go a long way to sorting out your winger problem.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ljy3U5OKvk Herrera vs Man Utd.

ReputationRep:
    Guillem Balague on SSN is such a knob, all I can do is laugh at his words. Acting like he just got a text from the Bilbao manager.

Can tell you right now that Ander Herrera is not worth €36m. No doubt he would improve our midfield though. Hope he can prove me wrong and be a game changer for us. He is the right type of midfielder we need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Guillem Balague on SSN is such a knob, all I can do is laugh at his words. Acting like he just got a text from the Bilbao manager.
    Balgue is an absolute ballbag, constantly chatting ****e on twitter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    We will look like idiots if we buy Fellaini for more than £23+mil whilst rejecting Ozil.

Herrera is set to come United according to the guy on SSN, how good is he 36mil is a lot of money. :confused:
    The thing is do we really need Ozil? I know he's a quality player and all but with Rooney staying and Kagawa not even making the squad it wouldn't be right to buy him just cause Arsenal have gone for him. If we get Fellaini and Herrera I think we'll have the creativity and steel in midfield we dearly need.

And I'm not really bothered about how much we pay for him as long as he adds quality to our current midfield I'll be happy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.