The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Welbeck should have been taken off instead of Kagawa. He's forced rooney wide as well, as he's now through the middle doing nothing.
Chelsea 2-2 now, it could be a great result for us too.
Please stop playing Welbeck out wide, he just doesn't have the quality
Reply 963
It's results like this that are truly grinded out which win leagues. City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea have all dropped points.
Stop playing flippin Jones in midfield. Just get a DM if you want, we can see you need a DM, thats why you keep on playing Jones in midfield.

I think our pitch will be our downfall this year, home games won't be the same in terms of utd playing quality football in there.
89 points of last season should be the aim! Not too difficult unless we screw about!
Max possibly point total is - 102
Reply 967
Anderson, Jones and Welbeck were all in the 60's for pass accuracy.

Just ... no. That shouldn't happen. Pathetic.

Thank god for Vidic in defense. The defending in general was great. The 'we can't pass under pressure so we'll give it to them or hoof it' .. wasn't.
Reply 968
Fair play to Southampton and the manager. The changes obviously worked and they were brave enough to press us right from the front at Old Trafford, not many teams will do that. We might have been unlucky to face them during the new manager honeymoon, they can't be that committed all season, it was a fantastic second half from them.

We were absolutely atrocious in the 2nd half though. Given how much more quality we have than them it was genuinely one of the worst halves of football I can remember us playing. You could probably count the amount of attacks we had on one hand. Not chances we had, just times we had the ball in their half. Smalling and Vidic aren't naturally comfortable on the ball so bringing Rio on made sense, but any positives from that were negated by moving Jones to CM. Should have been Cleverley. If we could string together a few passes we'd have picked them off on the counter and probably would have battered them. Looked completely disjointed, no structure meant there were no options for the player on the ball, and that only got worse when the confidence drained out of us.

Positive I suppose is that the nature of the performance means it should give us the feeling we get after a loss, only somehow without dropping any points. Hopefully we get a response. Rio for Smalling, Cleverley for Anderson and Nani for Welbeck for Fulham hopefully.

More than anything else I think i'm just relieved to have won though. Not quite sure how we came through, think Vidic and Rio just gave a little reminder to everyone that they're our best partnership.
Reply 969
Anyone else notice the ridiculous difference in when De Gea spilled a shot and when Borcu did, in terms of how much it was talked about etc? :holmes:

That said, those commentators were atrocious anyway.
Carrick had an off day-very unlike him.
Original post by Tommyjw
Anyone else notice the ridiculous difference in when De Gea spilled a shot and when Borcu did, in terms of how much it was talked about etc? :holmes:

That said, those commentators were atrocious anyway.

Yeah i did, it was annoying me so i ended up muting the commentators and putting some music on. De Gea spills a shot - "Should have done a lot better, why didn't he put his body behind it blah blah" Borcu spills a shot - "He's done quite well this keeper, playing well for Southampton." :rolleyes:

Just glad the game is done and over with. Fergie is probably having a go at most of the players and probably get a good response on Saturday.
Reply 972
Original post by IanLim93
Yeah i did, it was annoying me so i ended up muting the commentators and putting some music on. De Gea spills a shot - "Should have done a lot better, why didn't he put his body behind it blah blah" Borcu spills a shot - "He's done quite well this keeper, playing well for Southampton." :rolleyes:

Just glad the game is done and over with. Fergie is probably having a go at most of the players and probably get a good response on Saturday.

Yep, exactly.

Goal was a shame though. De Gea should have done two things and thats full on come out and attempt to get the ball, or stay back and spread your body, he basically did middle of both and expected to be lobbed. Far from the worst attempt i've seen, but he should have done better though in my opinion. Awful from Carrick though.

Oh and in relevance to that, apparently Stoke want Butland, so of course now we have the begovic rumours coming to full force
Reply 973
BBC Sport's Jon Barbuti on Twitter: "Southampton had 21 shots to Man Utd's 11 tonight; no other team has gone to Old Trafford this season and created more chances than the hosts."
Reply 974
Original post by qasidb
BBC Sport's Jon Barbuti on Twitter: "Southampton had 21 shots to Man Utd's 11 tonight; no other team has gone to Old Trafford this season and created more chances than the hosts."

Weird stat that, cant remember them having a single clear opportunity.
Reply 975
Why are most ppl on ddg back I think he's a fine young prospect and he's been watch saver in some matches,gk is a really unforgiving position

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cleverley should have started. We were dominated in midfield.
Reply 977
United need to fix up hard for Real Madrid. I'm so glad our rivals have dropped points. Could be the deciding weekend for the title...WE NEED A MID!
Kagawa and Vidic were really good I thought. Welbeck, Jones, Carrick and Anderson weren't though.

I'm not sure how we managed to come away with the three points, but we did. :biggrin:
Reply 979
I would assume (and hope) Cleverley is back in midfield for the next match, alongside Carrick.

We also managed to give Rafael, Rio, Scholes, Giggs, Valencia and Hernandez a decent rest so we should have a fresh team out.

Latest