Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    I swear you should support United

Chelsea vs Madrid would be a quality tie, the guile of the 3 'Amigo's' of Chelsea vs the renowned quality of Ozil, Ronaldo, Benzema would be mouthwatering
    I know more about united than my fellow london manc mates.

I actually can't believe we haven't faced each other in the competition. At least we beat them the last time we faced(super cup 98 )

Who would you want to face in the competition bar real madrid? I'd like to see united-dortmund personally. Two fast tempo attacking styles to complement each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    It would be horrendously boring. Chelsea would just park the bus again.
    Bull****. We've only parked the bus in one match this season(city and that's because we just got a new manager) and with our weak midfield, we'll be forced to play through them.

Make more informed statements next time. Like we parked the bus vs you guys in the 3-2 this season. I could say that you would park the bus vs them because you did that to tottenham but I'd be horribly misinformed like you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I think you're disrespecting united here. Since vidic and ferdinand have come back to play together, they've become a much more solid team defensively. They no longer have to score 3 goals to win a match anymore, I think you might see more of the 1-0 man united from now on. I think they're doing a chelsea 05-06 and being relentless, no one can catch up. The fact that united have this confidence will make it harder for madrid.

You'd also have to remember that pepe is injured and madrid have their fair share of defensive injuries this season, can say that van persie and varane could be a mismatch too. I think it'll still be a goalfest in both sides, with 1 goal deciding it. 3-2 madrid first leg, 2-2 draw second leg is my prediction. Can't wait though, tie of the season. Wanted to face madrid, never faced them in the champions league before.
    Even in terms of the midfield battle I can't see United having any success. Cleverley and Carrick against the likes of Alonso and Ozil, that's a clear mismatch. Then you have the Ronaldo factor, he's bound to score a few against his former club and the form he's in you wouldn't put it past him to tear Rafael apart, a guy who hasn't really faced someone like CR7 in his career.

I know that United are good offensively too but I think the first 30 mins of the game are vital, Madrid will come out all guns blazing and it'll be interesting to see how United cope. If I'm honest I'm quite pessimistic about the chances of both United and Arsenal in the CL. I think the likes of Bayern and Barca are on another level. Madrid are beatable but United need to have a perfect game in both legs.

Most likely scenario: Madrid win the first game 2-1 or 3-1 then Mourinho can just park the bus at Old Trafford and just counter United.

I even forgot to mention that Madrid have no chance in the league and the copa del rey isn't really an important competition. Mourinho will view his time at Madrid as a failure unless he wins the CL this season, this just gives Madrid even more motivation to reach the final...

ReputationRep:
    SSN Team Line Ups:
    Manchester United XI: De Gea Rafael Vidic Evans Evra Valencia Jones Cleverley Giggs Rooney Van Persie
    Everton XI: Howard Neville Jagielka Distin Baines Mirallas Osman Gibson Pienaar Fellaini Anichebe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Even in terms of the midfield battle I can't see United having any success. Cleverley and Carrick against the likes of Alonso and Ozil, that's a clear mismatch. Then you have the Ronaldo factor, he's bound to score a few against his former club and the form he's in you wouldn't put it past him to tear Rafael apart, a guy who hasn't really faced someone like CR7 in his career.

I know that United are good offensively too but I think the first 30 mins of the game are vital, Madrid will come out all guns blazing and it'll be interesting to see how United cope. If I'm honest I'm quite pessimistic about the chances of both United and Arsenal in the CL. I think the likes of Bayern and Barca are on another level. Madrid are beatable but United need to have a perfect game in both legs.

Most likely scenario: Madrid win the first game 2-1 or 3-1 then Mourinho can just park the bus at Old Trafford and just counter United.

I even forgot to mention that Madrid have no chance in the league and the copa del rey isn't really an important factor. Mourinho will view his time at Madrid a failure unless he wins the CL this season, gives Madrid even more motivation to reach the final...
    Yeah, but they'd just play valencia with rafael to counter ronaldo so I don't think he'll be ripped to shreds like valencia vs santos/cole or (name absolute mismatch)

I think it'll be a goalfest on both sides. Ozil has got into some form but he's been very inconsistent this season. Alonso hasn't been his normal self but still a quality player. I think united will lose but it will be a close tie till the final whistle. Heck you'll see mourinho kneesliding come the end of the matches.

ReputationRep:
    Bull****. We've only parked the bus in one match this season(city and that's because we just got a new manager) and with our weak midfield, we'll be forced to play through them.

Make more informed statements next time. Like we parked the bus vs you guys in the 3-2 this season. I could say that you would park the bus vs them because you did that to tottenham but I'd be horribly misinformed like you are.
    I'm referring to Barcelona. You knew you would get screwed over by arguably the best team on the planet and the only way to prevent that was to park the bus against them. Real Madrid are pretty close to Barcelona in terms of quality so to prevent you getting screwed over, why not park the bus just like you did against Barcelona in the 2 legs. I mean, it worked didn't it? If you did come out and ACTUALLY play against Real Madrid then, with the form Chelsea are in at the moment, it'll probably end up with an embarrassing scoreline for you. But that was under Di Matteo so I don't know what Benitez would do.

ReputationRep:
    With the line up we have i'm hoping to see Young and Kagawa in the line up against Madrid.
    I think the defence will be kept the same bar Rio coming in for Evans. Rooney and RVP will start again i hope.
    Hoping Welbeck doesn't come near the first eleven on Wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    I'm referring to Barcelona. You knew you would get screwed over by arguably the best team on the planet and the only way to prevent that was to park the bus against them. Real Madrid are pretty close to Barcelona in terms of quality so to prevent you getting screwed over, why not park the bus just like you did against Barcelona in the 2 legs. I mean, it worked didn't it? If you did come out and ACTUALLY play against Real Madrid then, with the form Chelsea are in at the moment, it'll probably end up with an embarrassing scoreline for you. But that was under Di Matteo so I don't know what Benitez would do.
    Well, look who we had to park bus then. There was a certain man up front who enabled us to park the bus efficiently as he was a reference point. His name was drogba. While ba can do that role to an extent, he's not as good at it.

Now lets see who we were using on the wings. Kalou and ramires for work rate. They're good at that role, but we have much much better players on the wings than them right now which we didn't last season. Why weaken our team in quality so we can play a certain style of play, when we could use our strongest team and play a style of football that suits them. It's a case of respecting the other team but not to the extent that we're overawed by their quality. Look at you guys vs city in the 3-2 this season, you used a team that was capable of attacking them than respecting them and using the old heads of giggs and scholes where you got dominated and beaten 1-0.

Di matteo, also attacked united in the 3-2, even when we had 9 men we still tried to get players forward. Do you think that hazard and mata will be more suited tracking runs of marcelo/coentrao/arbeloa/ramos or more suited to playing their football?

ReputationRep:
    Good to see his record still stands. 23 seasons in a row, quite a record

Posted from TSR Mobilek

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad Giggs has got his goal, what an absolute legend.

ReputationRep:
    For the first time, I'm starting to really believe we can deal some damage on Wednesday

ReputationRep:
    Everton fans singing 'Harold Shipman killed your nan' - heavy stuff...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    12 points ahead

Both excited and nervous for Madrid , can't wait.

Rafael was outstanding today

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant stuff. So we have to win roughly 8/12 remaining matches, assuming City win every single remaining match. Looking very, very good!

ReputationRep:
    I know more about united than my fellow london manc mates.

I actually can't believe we haven't faced each other in the competition. At least we beat them the last time we faced(super cup 98 )

Who would you want to face in the competition bar real madrid? I'd like to see united-dortmund personally. Two fast tempo attacking styles to complement each other.
    Would like to see Dortmund, or maybe PSG? Juventus would also be a good tie, although from a footballing neutral perspective Madrid has to be the best, sick of Barçelona hammering us

ReputationRep:
    12 points clear good win and clean sheet against a strong Everton side as well :woo:

bring on Real Madrid!

ReputationRep:
    Thought that was Vidic's best performance all season. Absolute rock, won everything. Man of the match could've gone to either him or Rafael. 12 points clear now. Excellent. Very encouraging ahead of midweek.

ReputationRep:

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    If it puzzles you why students who most likely go to universities all over the country.. dont regularly attend games.. then well..
    No excuse, is it? Get a job then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    No excuse, is it? Get a job then.
    firstly, im not a united supporter

secondly, who do you support?

But to the point - it would be beyond impractical for a student from manchester - studying in say.. london, to travel 8+ hours round trip every weekend to go back for a game of football..

When your a student yourself, youl see that there are far more pressing and important things then spending all of your money and time travelling to watch football - so instead most just settle with watching the game on tv/internet/pub etc - and there is nothing wrong with that at all..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.