The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cheetahs56
Would like to see Dortmund, or maybe PSG? Juventus would also be a good tie, although from a footballing neutral perspective Madrid has to be the best, sick of Barçelona hammering us:tongue:

Yeah I agree. I still think you'd get battered by barca(playing styles mainly and the wingers in your team aren't good enough even though your CM problems have now been all but fixed), I would like to see united vs this new look bayern too.

Wondering where the people saying that united's defence is poor are now? Vidic is easily still a world class player, had he'd been there the whole season you'd have had a much better defensive record. Clean sheets galore with him in the side.
Original post by fallen_acorns
firstly, im not a united supporter :wink:

secondly, who do you support?

But to the point - it would be beyond impractical for a student from manchester - studying in say.. london, to travel 8+ hours round trip every weekend to go back for a game of football..

When your a student yourself, youl see that there are far more pressing and important things then spending all of your money and time travelling to watch football :smile: - so instead most just settle with watching the game on tv/internet/pub etc - and there is nothing wrong with that at all..

I support Leeds, and I don't care about the practicalities. I go wherever I can to watch them, because I'm loyal and not a glory-hunter.

They settle with TV because they're glory-hunters and can't be arsed, admit it.
Original post by Harry Callahan
I support Leeds, and I don't care about the practicalities. I go wherever I can to watch them, because I'm loyal and not a glory-hunter.

so in your opinion the only true fans are the ones in the stadium? - thats a very limited view of what it means to be a stadium..

sucks for those who cant get tickets, because the games are sold out.. or those who cant afford tickets on low wages.. or who cant afford to travel to away matches..

I guess none of them are real fans..

where are you planning on going to university? - my bet is that if you end up lets say in exeter, with a train duration of 6+ hours minimum... each way.. and a big cost.. - you will start miss alot of games..

which ofcourse will mean your not a real fan?

-- point is.. just attending games inst enough to determine whether someone is a loyal fan.. - though its irrelivant, there is no scale to be mesured against, anyone is free to support any team, in as big or as small a way as possible..

So that's why you're attacking other supporters.

I go as often as I can afford (as I'm sure like a lot of other fans here), usually around 8-10 home games a season, uni fees have made it difficult. Oh, and I usually have to save some on the side, just in case we get to a cup final, which, let's be honest, is pretty damn likely.
No excuse, is it? Get a job then.

Of course man, I'm going to get a lower class degree for the sake of being a "true fan" when really, I could spend that time on working for my degree and getting a higher paid job where I'll have the money to go to games. Makes perfect sense.
Reply 1205
6th placed Everton are actually closer to Man City in terms of points (11) than Man City are to us (12).
Original post by qasidb
6th placed Everton are actually closer to Man City in terms of points (11) than Man City are to us (12).

Wouldn't it be hilarious if City dropped out of CL football? Arsenal would have to step up a bit though, but it could be done :P

They will find themselves in a battle just to stay in the top three if they lose to Chelsea in the next PL game.

31 out of 36 points and we beat Chelseas point record. Unlikely, but possible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1207
Original post by Tommyjw
Wouldn't it be hilarious if City dropped out of CL football? Arsenal would have to step up a bit though, but it could be done :P

They will find themselves in a battle just to stay in the top three if they lose to Chelsea in the next PL game.

31 out of 36 points and we beat Chelseas point record. Unlikely, but possible.

And then Mancini gets the sack and the new manager makes things even worse and then the Arab owners get bankrupt and has to sell the club which is bought by someone not as wealthy and then they can't buy any good enough players and then players start to leave and then Man City become a mid-table team and then a team fighting to stay up before eventually being relegated and then a few years later ending up in the Conference league.

Maybe I'm getting a bit too carried away I think.

Funny to think about it though. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by qasidb
And then Mancini gets the sack and the new manager makes things even worse and then the Arab owners get bankrupt and has to sell the club which is bought by someone not as wealthy and then they can't buy any good enough players and then players start to leave and then Man City become a mid-table team and then a team fighting to stay up before eventually being relegated and then a few years later ending up in the Conference league.

I'm getting a bit too carried away I think... :tongue:

Haha, indeed.

More and more seems to be coming out about spending limits, FFP etc, and it seems like it ill be taken more seriously than i p[reviously thought. I was worried City would go on a '**** it, buy everything' mode again if they lost this year, not so much now.
Rafael/Vidic were excellent today, just what needed to be shown ahead of Madrid. Anyone else fancy Jones, if he is fit, to play a midfield role aka like he did against Spurs and today to help nullify Ronaldo? It probably won't happen as Valencia/Rafael will have to work together to keep CR7 quiet but if we include Jones, probably leaves space open for Ozil. I'd expect Carrick/Cleverley to resume their partnership.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
So that's why you're attacking other supporters.

I go as often as I can afford (as I'm sure like a lot of other fans here), usually around 8-10 home games a season, uni fees have made it difficult. Oh, and I usually have to save some on the side, just in case we get to a cup final, which, let's be honest, is pretty damn likely.

That's fair enough. But there are millions that never go.

Original post by fallen_acorns
so in your opinion the only true fans are the ones in the stadium? - thats a very limited view of what it means to be a stadium..

sucks for those who cant get tickets, because the games are sold out.. or those who cant afford tickets on low wages.. or who cant afford to travel to away matches..

I guess none of them are real fans..

where are you planning on going to university? - my bet is that if you end up lets say in exeter, with a train duration of 6+ hours minimum... each way.. and a big cost.. - you will start miss alot of games..

which ofcourse will mean your not a real fan?

-- point is.. just attending games inst enough to determine whether someone is a loyal fan.. - though its irrelivant, there is no scale to be mesured against, anyone is free to support any team, in as big or as small a way as possible..

Planning to go to York Uni, which will be fine.

They're a fan, not a supporter.
Reply 1211
That's fair enough. But there are millions that never go.

Planning to go to York Uni, which will be fine.

They're a fan, not a supporter.

Yeah, because most of them live in different countries hundreds or thousands of miles away and you definitely won't find a lot of them that will have the time and money to travel all the way to another country to watch a 90 minute football match.

A true supporter isn't defined as a person who regularly goes to matches. My personal interpretation of a true supporter is one who always supports that team no matter what rough patch they go through and is always cheering them on.
Lads, no need to respond to Harry any longer, he'll be away for at least a week.

Fergie got the team spot on today. Most had good games, the defense was especially solid.
I think you're about 14 years old if you're having an argument over 'real' supporters
Strikers of 99 talking about their roles and some thoughts about our current four

Spoiler

Or an alternative way to look at it:

Original post by Tommyjw
Strikers of 99 talking about their roles and some thoughts about our current four

An extended version here.

Great to see them talk about it together and nice to see Ole!
lol Teddy looked least happy with 99
Reply 1218
What a win, 12 points clear. Vida and Rafael were amazing today! But why did Rooney play the full game, he played 90 mins against brazil as well, we should keep faith in our other players and would've preferred him having a little rest in prep for Madrid.

Madrid will be tough they've hit form right now, the question will be who will play on our wings, for me it should be Valencia and Nani, Valencia providing back up for Ronaldo, and Nani against Arbelo is is encouraging with his unpredictability.
Original post by rohitbd
What a win, 12 points clear. Vida and Rafael were amazing today! But why did Rooney play the full game, he played 90 mins against brazil as well, we should keep faith in our other players and would've preferred him having a little rest in prep for Madrid.

Madrid will be tough they've hit form right now, the question will be who will play on our wings, for me it should be Valencia and Nani, Valencia providing back up for Ronaldo, and Nani against Arbelo is is encouraging with his unpredictability.

Was wondering this, would have liked to seen Hernandez and Welbeck come on for Rooney and RVP, can't imagine Chicharito starting on Wednesday. Gonna miss 1st half due to cricket league:angry:

Latest