Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Was wondering this, would have liked to seen Hernandez and Welbeck come on for Rooney and RVP, can't imagine Chicharito starting on Wednesday. Gonna miss 1st half due to cricket league
    Exactly what I was thinking, and that sucks I bet you're going to be rushing out of cricket, how can you play in this weather anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    Yeah, because most of them live in different countries hundreds or thousands of miles away and you definitely won't find a lot of them that will have the time and money to travel all the way to another country to watch a 90 minute football match.

A true supporter isn't defined as a person who regularly goes to matches. My personal interpretation of a true supporter is one who always supports that team no matter what rough patch they go through and is always cheering them on.
    You live Czech Republic? And you support Man Utd; typical. Don't you support a Czech team? You say that a loyal fan is someone who still cheers their time even during rough times, since when have a big team like Man Utd gone through a rough patch or struggled-they're consistently a top team. Any particular reason why you chose United or is it just based on the fact that they are successful. A 'gloryhunter' is also defined as someone who doesn't go to many games and uses the excuse of geographical location to not go to games.

For example, a typical united fan would say 'Hi my name is Cocunut
    Barron, I live in the US and support Man United, that makes me superior to everyone else as my team always win, I live too far away to go to games and visit but that doesn't matter. Glory Glory Man United!'

Plus, I know some United fans who get excited after winning the Manchester derby and they say 'Manchester is RED' which is kind of ironic since most of them have never been to Manchester or know anything about the place. Would you have supported Manchester United if they were never this great? Would you have chosen to support them if a they were a conference team instead of being the most successful club in England? Also, there are many teams up located up north, Stockport is one of them-but out of all the northern teams you decide to support Man United who are arguably one of the best,if not, the best in the country.

ReputationRep:

Lol, looking forward to this battle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Wiggle)
    You live Czech Republic? And you support Man Utd; typical. Don't you support a Czech team? You say that a loyal fan is someone who still cheers their time even during rough times, since when have a big team like Man Utd gone through a rough patch or struggled-they're consistently a top team. Any particular reason why you chose United or is it just based on the fact that they are successful. A 'gloryhunter' is also defined as someone who doesn't go to many games and uses the excuse of geographical location to not go to games.

Barron, I live in the US and support Man United, that makes me superior to everyone else as my team always win, I live too far away to go to games and visit but that doesn't matter. Glory Glory Man United!'

Plus, I know some United fans who get excited after winning the Manchester derby and they say 'Manchester is RED' which is kind of ironic since most of them have never been to Manchester or know anything about the place. Would you have supported Manchester United if they were never this great? Would you have chosen to support them if a they were a conference team instead of being the most successful club in England? Also, there are many teams up located up north, Stockport is one of them-but out of all the northern teams you decide to support Man United who are arguably one of the best,if not, the best in the country.
    I'm actually from the UK but I'm studying in Czech Republic. I'm not going to support a Czech team and abandon Man Utd just because I've started living here.

Do you know what the truth is? I was actually born and raised in London. Oh no!!! I have to support a London team in that case!!! IT'S FORBIDDEN FOR ME TO SUPPORT A TEAM NOT IN LONDON!!! SUPPORTING A MANCHESTER TEAM MAKES NO SENSE!!! This is according to your logic.

Well, the way I started supporting United is because when I was in primary school, at the age of about 7 or 8 a lot of my friends were into football and they were supporting one team or another. One day in the morning I came down to watch some TV and Match of the Day was on. So I saw some of it because I liked watching the goals and I saw Man Utd win 5-3. So I thought, meh, I'll support them. And it just stuck from then on. I didn't know exactly how successful Man Utd were at that time. I just supported because they won that match and seemed like a good team. My support for them has gradually grown over the years and I can tell you now I'll still support them if they have a slump like Liverpool. So you could say I supported them because they were good. And do you know what? It's something quite interesting actually. You see, the thing is, I really don't give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    UEFA ticketing portal for CL tickets not working due to high demand. Although, it doesn't matter when you apply, it doesn't affect your chances in the ballot.

ReputationRep:

Yes ~Wiggle! You ******* say it mate

Tell em like a boss.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Exactly what I was thinking, and that sucks I bet you're going to be rushing out of cricket, how can you play in this weather anyway?
    It's an indoor league Yeah I am, thinking of just telling them I can't make it this week, although there are a few United fans so it's potentially problematic... Not a match to miss a second of, let alone a whole half.

ReputationRep:
    U21's playing Arsenal, just kicked off

ReputationRep:
    Why do MU fans get all this slack of supporting them even when they live outside Manchester, I grew up in the south of England but always supported United, my Dad and older sis were Arsenal fans but when I was 3 or 4 and went shopping with my mum in 1997 I brought a Man Utd logo football, and since then have supported United, and United have made fans not by always winning but by there never say die attitude, their positive side of football, and buying as well as developing players (I believe we have had a homegrown player in our squad for nearly 70 years now) into stars, and all this is down to SAF he made United such a loveable team and has never let his fans down, but I would never turn my back on United post SAF no matter how good/badly we do.

Edit whats with all the neg, haters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    U21's playing Arsenal, just kicked off
    How's Powell been doing for the U21's? it's been awhile since he's seen any first team action. Hoping he gets some against Reading in the FA Cup.

Why do MU fans get all this slack of supporting them even when they live outside Manchester, I grew up in the south of England but always supported United, my Dad and older sis were Arsenal fans but when I was 3 or 4 and went shopping with my mum in 1997 I brought a Man Utd logo football, and since then have supported United, and United have made fans not by always winning but by there never say die attitude, their positive side of football, and buying as well as developing players (I believe we have had a homegrown player in our squad for nearly 70 years now) into stars, and all this is down to SAF he made United such a loveable team and has never let his fans down, but I would never turn my back on United post SAF no matter how good/badly we do.
    It's simply down to success that United has and the fact we have such a large batch of fans we're bound to get a couple of idiots which leads to people generalising all united fans are glory supporters :rolleyes:

Why should where you grow up dictate who you support? I'm sorry but who doesn't like a winner? It's not my reason to supporting united but it can be for a lot of other fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Rafael/Vidic were excellent today, just what needed to be shown ahead of Madrid. Anyone else fancy Jones, if he is fit, to play a midfield role aka like he did against Spurs and today to help nullify Ronaldo? It probably won't happen as Valencia/Rafael will have to work together to keep CR7 quiet but if we include Jones, probably leaves space open for Ozil. I'd expect Carrick/Cleverley to resume their partnership.
    Completely agree - it's encouraging to see our defence like that. I thought Jones was great man marking too, you couldn't even tell Fellaini was in the game, just like how we played against Tottenham, Bale's presence was so small. Carrick and Cleverley are great in midfield together, and from his performance in the Everton game, Valencia's showing slight signs of improvement :P

ReputationRep:
    If this went in

:coma:

(Original post by IanLim93)
    How's Powell been doing for the U21's? it's been awhile since he's seen any first team action. Hoping he gets some against Reading in the FA Cup.
    Not watched them that after tbh, they haevn't played very regularly for quite a while i swear..

Either way he's always looked too good for the level he plays at from what i've seen, nothing 'extraordinary' though.

ReputationRep:
    Indoor season

Surely the biggest aspect is that it is a big club. If I told you I'm from the North East, supported Yeovil because my Dad does and we didn't go to games because of geographical location, would that have made us glory hunters? Not at all, in fact most people probably wouldn't think twice about it.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how when our Ronny was playing for United everyone hated him and then as soon as he left - they're up his arse!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a United fan because when I started to get in to football watching England play, there were a lot of United players on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    Evra: "We don’t have to wind Ronaldo up before this game because when he is angry he is at his best. So, let’s just be nice.... We can kill him with love!”

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, predicted line ups for tomorrow? De Gea, Rafael, Valencia, Carrick, Vidic, Evra, Rooney, RVP are almost 100% likely to start IMO, so I think the questions are:

Who's going to partner vidic?
    Who's going to play on left wing?
    Will jones be put in cm to help nullify Ronaldo/Ozil/Di Maria?

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing kagawa play on the left. Because Rooney's work rate is high, it's likely he'll be roaming around the pitch often, which means kagawa will have the opportunity to initiate attacks from a more central role too. But to be honest, as long as welbeck isn't starting I'm happy.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Interesting snippet from an article I just read:

It's hard not to like Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp. On Monday he granted an interview to Spanish newspaper El Pais. And when he wasn't wondering how well Vicente del Bosque would do with a weaker side, say Osasuna, rather than Spain or revealing that Swansea City's Michu is his favourite player to watch this season, he was reflecting on how he set his team up to beat Real Madrid at the Westfalenstadion and came very close to doing so again at the Bernabeu earlier this season.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson would do well to get one of his Spanish speakers, maybe David de Gea, to translate it for him.

"We knew where they send their passes, how they look for Cristiano Ronaldo," Klopp revealed. "Our plan was to take Xabi Alonso out of the game. Because if Alonso is allowed to play how he wants it's impossible to defend against Madrid. And Mario Götze covered him. We knew that if our wide players, Lukasz Piszczek and Marcel Schmelzer move a lot, the advantage was ours on Cristiano's side of the pitch. If you block Xabi, you oblige Pepe to always keep the ball."

With this in mind perhaps Ferguson will ask Rooney to do the same job Götze did on Alonso. How he decides to cope with his former protege Cristiano Ronaldo is more open to debate. Maybe what Ferguson will do is persist with Rafael at right-back and play Phil Jones ahead of him, just as he did in the match against Tottenham last month when United faced a similar threat to that posed by Ronaldo from Gareth Bale.
    With that in mind, I would put Jones or Rooney on Alonso and Valencia/Rafael on the right to deal with Ronaldo. Wouldn't trust Young/Nani in a big game like this because they'll need to track back so play Kagawa on the left instead, he can also help instigate attacks and come inside which leave less space for the likes of Ozil and Alonso to work their magic.

I think the team will be:

De Gea; Rafael, Rio, Vidic, Evra; Valencia, Jones, Carrick, Kagawa; RVP, Rooney

If theres a change, it'll most likely be Cleverley for Jones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Evra: "We don’t have to wind Ronaldo up before this game because when he is angry he is at his best. So, let’s just be nice.... We can kill him with love!”
    I'm not so sure about that. I remember during the semis against Barca in '08, after he missed the penalty early in the first leg, he was below par for the remainder of the two legs. He was too keen to score and tried too hard. Hopefully the same will happen here. Would love to see Rafael and Vidic eat him up.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone think Rio will play this, I am a tad worried about both vidic and rio in there as both aren't the most quickest....

De Gae

Rafael Rio Vidic Evra

Jones

Rooney Carrick Cleverly Kagawa

RVP

I can see us doing that....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.