The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Moura is playing very well for PSG, shame he could've been amazing here.
On a side note, Wanyama played well again today. Didn't massively impose himself but certainly didn't look out of place, kept a 90% pass accuracy with second most passes after Pirlo and a few other decent stats. Juventus and Barca and good performances against both, nice to see he can prove himself in Europe and on a bigger stage.

Really wouldn't mind a bid for him in summer, at all.
Reply 1262
Original post by Tommyjw
On a side note, Wanyama played well again today. Didn't massively impose himself but certainly didn't look out of place, kept a 90% pass accuracy with second most passes after Pirlo and a few other decent stats. Juventus and Barca and good performances against both, nice to see he can prove himself in Europe and on a bigger stage.

Really wouldn't mind a bid for him in summer, at all.

He was an absolute beast. He would really shine at a bigger club. I'd love to see us buy him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Would love DDG to beast through these two legs. He'll be pumped. If there's someone I'd love to see do great, it'd probably be him.

SAF on DDG : “Its like a young kid learning to walk. They have a few wobbles, fall over, get up again and then they take their first steps. Well, the boy is walking now.”

Pretty nice quote
Original post by Tommyjw
SAF on DDG : “Its like a young kid learning to walk. They have a few wobbles, fall over, get up again and then they take their first steps. Well, the boy is walking now.”

Pretty nice quote

Interesting that DDG was in the press conference with SAF, a rarity to see him but sense considering he played for Madrid, although it was Atletico, not Real. Any quotes been distributed about what he said in the press conference?

Quote from SAF re-assuring for him although difficult to judge whether he believes that privately considering rumours linking us with Begovic which I don't really believe in.
One of the biggest players for us tonight has to be Carrick who has been a marvel most of this season. Please don't slip up ahah, he can be prone but he will win the game for us if he plays well
Original post by Aky786UK
An extended version here.

Great to see them talk about it together and nice to see Ole!

Great stuff. OGS seems a very good reader of the game and analytical of everything that went on, you can see why he's had a good start to coaching. I had forgotten that Sheringham didn't score much that season.

I like this One2Eleven by Rio too on the best players he's played with: http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16460_8495866,00.html Says Louis Saha was one of his toughest opponents and some good insight on other players as well. Always felt Saha was a bit underrated by our fanbase. When he was fit he was fantastic, gave us a bit of everything.
Reply 1267
Original post by jam277
Ryan bertrand started a champions league final and managed to stop lahm from destroying us, I think jones is a pretty composed player who wouldn't be fazed by big occasions, heck that's the whole point of playing for man united. If you can't handle the big occasions you shouldn't be playing for a team like this.

Yeah, don't want to be like the media, but jones did the exact same thing to gareth bale who has a similar skill set to ronaldo. I think he'll be facing a new kettle of fish but I think cleverly being there in CM is too positive at the bernabeu when you have a player capable of marking players out of games for fun.

You can state his inexperience, but there's so many examples of people inexperienced coming in to a big game. Heck ryan bertrand started the CL final and did well while we remember cleverley on his man united debut vs city.

Been taking the pipe lately. Mate look at ronaldo's record since 2007 and look at the rest, he's smashed both of them in every season and he's doing it again...

Wouldn't say Betrand managed to stop lahm from destroying you given that Bayern bossed that game. Not really good example to use giving what i just mentioned and also given that lahm is a attacking defensive player whilst ronaldo is .......... (well there isn't a word to describe this guy). Gareth Bale is actually a one trick pony player- just relies on his acceleration and pace- and this can be easily stymied with a clever scheme. Acceleration and pace doesn't even cover the basic of ronaldo's skill set

Man marking ronaldo will not work and i'll be surprised if saf uses that tactics.
Original post by 419
Wouldn't say Betrand managed to stop lahm from destroying you given that Bayern bossed that game. Not really good example to use giving what i just mentioned and also given that lahm is a attacking defensive player whilst ronaldo is .......... (well there isn't a word to describe this guy). Gareth Bale is actually a one trick pony player- just relies on his acceleration and pace- and this can be easily stymied with a clever scheme. Acceleration and pace doesn't even cover the basic of ronaldo's skill set

Man marking ronaldo will not work and i'll be surprised if saf uses that tactics.

Ok, not a good example but just saying how someone inexperienced can come in and do a job, I also said cleverley when he came on in the City match.

You watched bale this season, he's not a one trick pony anymore, he uses his acceleration but now drifts in and out, can play up front, behind the striker or on the wings drifting in and he can play the typical kick and rush down the wing like he did vs inter. He's not a one trick pony mate.

I think ronaldo is very good at switching positions during a match and with teams that are good at controlling the game where he'll do less defending than expected he's great.
Reply 1269
Hey guys, in case you missed it, there's a match discussion thread for tonight's game, so please take match discussion before and during the game there. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Viva De Gea.
Great performance by DDG, Jones and Welbeck. I would have taken 1-1 at the start of the match and I think it is a good result but would have been nice if RVP had scored his chance.
A draw is a fair and pretty decent result. We had some great opportunities to go ahead and should have been ahead ad times, but so should they.

Even if the final whistle was bull****, so was the last man tackle not being punished, and a few others "I'll give a United player a yellow for something i'm not giving Madrid players one for". Some very biased refereeing tonight, but oh well.

De Gea was world class tonight. Jones and Welbeck did their roles very very well. RvP was great in the second half (everyone was tbh, much better performance). CB's were solid throughout.
(edited 11 years ago)
Like everyone said, DDG, Jones and Welbeck 3 best players- possibly our most under-rated. Welbeck showed his huge potential, and actually looked good as a winger, anyone see his future there? Jones took CR out of the game (bar the goal obviously, but that was Evra and you can't stop him all the time). And my my what saves by DDG, the 2 Coentrao saves and the Khedira deflected effort was quality. If i'm being picky RVP (could) have done better with the goal-line clearence attempt after he hit the bar. Overally pleased though, feel we can take them to OT and give them a game, hopefully win the game, but if not (try:colondollar:) and keep a clean sheet. COYR, pumped up now!!
**** all the DDG haters.
Original post by Tommyjw

Even if the final whistle was bull****, so was the last man tackle not being punished, and a few others "I'll give a United player a yellow for something i'm not giving Madrid players one for". Some very biased refereeing tonight, but oh well.

I'm sure the simulation from one or two Madrid players (Ramos in particular) helped make the refs mind up.

Edit: - And before anyone calls by a hypocrite or blind to my own team, I'm aware that Manchester United players have dived and simulated in the past.

Delighted with the result. Of the starting XI, DDG, Evans, Rafael and Carrick have been written off by various Utd fans.....

Jones did a great job shadowing Ronaldo. CBs were solid throughout. Rooney disappointed a little, and didn't offer enough Rafael enough protection.
Is it that the same referee in charge of both of the two leg ties?
big result, away from home, draw and an away goal, will take that very happily, bring em to Old Trafford! :biggrin:
"Ronaldo is sitting in our dressing room at the moment, talking to the lads. I'm proud to see how he's flourished." - SAF

Latest