Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)

Delighted with the result. Of the starting XI, DDG, Evans, Rafael and Carrick have been written off by various Utd fans.....

Jones did a great job shadowing Ronaldo. CBs were solid throughout. Rooney disappointed a little, and didn't offer enough Rafael enough protection.

(Original post by Tommyjw)
    "Ronaldo is sitting in our dressing room at the moment, talking to the lads. I'm proud to see how he's flourished." - SAF
    These kind of things just make me wish Ronaldo would come back home:cry:

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo. I love you. Manchester United. I love you. We'll get through (just).

ReputationRep:
    Come back home Ronny! United have it all to do still, but OT will be a different game!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    De Gea's Best moments.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    **** ref, no red card, didn't play the corner, and Valencia and RVP get booked for slightly hitting Ramos but Ramos elbows Evans and gets nothing, bull**** ref.

ReputationRep:
    **** ref, no red card, didn't play the corner, and Valencia and RVP get booked for slightly hitting Ramos but Ramos elbows Evans and gets nothing, bull**** ref.

I remember his face, i dont know his name but im sure he was the one that sent of vidic against basel or someone? He isn't great, least he isnt in the return

ReputationRep:

The first save is just majestic. Schmeichel & VDS would be proud of that one. Shame he's still so weak on crosses and corners, if he improved this aspect of his game he could easily be up there with the likes of Neuer and Casillas. Going to be hard for you guys to keep him if Barca come snooping.

ReputationRep:
    You can just see how emotional the boy Cristiano is with how far his head is sunk into SAF's shoulder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitechapel)
    I remember his face, i dont know his name but im sure he was the one that sent of vidic against basel or someone? He isn't great, least he isnt in the return
    Yeah he might've weel just have put on a RM shirt, and Ramos is a disgrace, a CB going down so easy.

(Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    The first save is just majestic. Schmeichel & VDS would be proud of that one. Shame he's still so weak on crosses and corners, if he improved this aspect of his game he could easily be up there with the likes of Neuer and Casillas. Going to be hard for you guys to keep him if Barca come snooping.
    Barca will have to equal Buffon's 32 mil to get us to even consider after that performance. A Barca product or someone like szczesny would be much better business for them as their GK doesn't do much work.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he might've weel just have put on a RM shirt, and Ramos is a disgrace, a CB going down so easy.

Barca will have to equal Buffon's 32 mil to get us to even consider after that performance. A Barca product or someone like szczesny would be much better business for them as their GK doesn't do much work.
    Please, no. I don't want him to be added to the long list of players who've left Arsenal for Barca. Honestly, I reckon they'll go for Ter Stegen or just promote from within. I can't see them making a big bid for a GK given their current financial situation.

ReputationRep:
    I love that SAF/Ronaldo picture - very much the representation of that father/son relationship that Ronny talks about.

DDG was brilliant tonight. Made an outstanding save from Coentraro when tbh, I don't think he was fully sighted but fingertips did it. People might think he made saves that other GK's would do but would other GK's have acrobatically and slightly, unorthodoxly, shifted out their boot from the Coentrao shot? Nope. They would have tried to use the hands and watched the ball squirm in.

The other saves he made weren't easy, some of them hit with great intensity or DDG wasn't able to see the ball clearly. Composed handling. Rafael got off to a torrid start, I worried he was going to buckle but he did well to get himself comfortable in the match. Jones/Carrick put in a great shift; the former certainly showed why he was born a central defender. I realised just how much pace he has when he really puts his foot down. Rio showed Hodgson how lame his "footballing reasons" excuse is ludicrous. The decision to play Evans/Rio was vindicated in the most composed of performances by the duo.

The tie isn't over. RVP could and should have scored but can't expect it to happen all the time.

Ronaldo's the threat, keep him quiet and we can take advantage of their defensive weaknesses to score.

ReputationRep:
    My man of the match - Rio Ferdinand

ReputationRep:
    I wish Roy Hodgson would just do what another England manager (Steve McClaren) did when he realised he'd made a mistake - i.e. dropping Beckham so quickly after the WC '06 - and be humble, and recall Rio. He's making himself look like a fool.

BTW, Mourinho apparently made a concious effort to shake Paddy Crerand's hand after the press conference, a very subtle start at making friends? lol

RVP/Valencia on the wrongside of the ref's decisions. Ref's need to add sense when they see two players going for a ball in the air, inevitable there will be contact. The latter wasn't worth coming on, contributed nothing although had short time to effect things but don't what needs to be done to get him back to his form. If he was, he would have been a stater tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Respect to the Madrid fans for applauding Giggs.

ReputationRep:
    The tie is far from over but very good result, got the away goal. Should have put more past them but I think we showed enough to create problems when they come to OT. Could have used the ball better, particularly in the first half, the pressure was unrelenting.

De Gea, Rio, Welbeck and Jones were very good. Great to see Welbeck score, gets a lot of criticism even though he's young enough to improve and offers so much more than mere goals. Very good performance by Jones as well, broke the play well, could have used the ball better but justified his selection. Not the best I've ever seen Rio play but up there. Just amazing composure on the ball; there's very few defenders in the world as good as he is on the ball, certainly no English defender. In a game of that magnitude most CBs, even those very comfortable on the ball, wouldn't have done those twists and turns. Watching him do them nearly gave me a heart attack tbfh. I sing his praises enough but the absolute effortlessness he exudes when playing is a pleasure to watch - something I'm enjoying more of as I realise that he's in his final days. He's comfortably the best English CB over the last 10 years and ability wise he's in the very elite group of defenders in that time period.

ReputationRep:
    What a game... As everyone has said, De Gea, Welbeck, Jones and Rio were brilliant. Didn't actually want Welbeck anywhere near the team so he proved me wrong. I also honestly wanted Rafael subbed at half time, I could still remember the Bayern game but fair play he came out and gave a lot better performance in the 2nd half. Oh and I think playing Rooney on the wing was a bit of a waste, i'd have put him where Kagawa was and started Valencia. But a draw is a decent result, either side could have won it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought Jones was your best player last night - used his strength to excellent effect and outmuscled the centre of Madrid's midfield forcing them toplay down the flanks.

De Gea was good and made the excellent Coentrao save, but I don't buy the fact that some people think he was 'majestic' last night. His aerial confidence is still very poor (not that Lopes was any better in the other end) and he still seems to rely on the players in front of him to organise themselves when he should be shouting at them. There was another excellent catch he made towards the end of the game, but the 'unorthodox' save he made should have been held - it was hard but not that tough to deal with.

Thought Ferdinand did well too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    I thought Jones was your best player last night - used his strength to excellent effect and outmuscled the centre of Madrid's midfield forcing them toplay down the flanks.

De Gea was good and made the excellent Coentrao save, but I don't buy the fact that some people think he was 'majestic' last night. His aerial confidence is still very poor (not that Lopes was any better in the other end) and he still seems to rely on the players in front of him to organise themselves when he should be shouting at them. There was another excellent catch he made towards the end of the game, but the 'unorthodox' save he made should have been held - it was hard but not that tough to deal with.

Think I agree with that - when Vidic/Ferdinand retire/leave then it will become a huge problem as he doesn't seem to want to organise the defence. May the likes of Smalling/Evans/Jones will but I don't really see it happening?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd agree with that - typically southern European goalkeeping, but he's still young for a keeper and he'll get plenty of practice at crosses in the EPL. He needs to improve on his physical presence and authority over the defence. I presume Fergie's got him looking at old Peter Schmeichel videos (or he should do). However, he really is a talented shot-stopper and is very comfortable with ball at feet. Some of his distribution this season has been superb. If he can develop to cope with the requirements of the EPL he will be a real quality keeper.

ReputationRep:

Yeah I agree with some of that that, De Gea's always been a fantastic shot-stopper - any avid football watcher knew that before last night, but there's still work to be done aerially. Tbfh this media-witchhunt, De Gea-Hart comparisons and, when other GKs make mistakes, if-that-was-De-Gea bemoaning from our fans is one of my biggest football peeves at the moment. De Gea gets stick because he looks aerially suspect. I like him and can see improvements but he doesn't fill me with confidence. I understand he's young, I understand he's relatively new to the country, but if you're the No.1 goalkeeper at Man Utd, the biggest club in the country, people expect you to be ready and will be far less forgiving than when you're at, say, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc. The good thing is his confidence is unflappable and he is organising a bit more than he used to - it'll come with age, I hope. Disagree with your last point though, I think in the way his body was positioned and the ball was bouncing he would have struggled to save that with his hands. Either way, seeing as it was kept out, most of us won't mind!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.