Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    You think that next season you'll stay playing through the middle more or you'll revert back to the wings? I think SAF is playing through the middle to accomodate for RVP, rooney and kagawa in the team. Barca do a similar thing with fabregas.
    We're paying for not using the wings. Fabregas being in the team along with Xavi and Iniesta screws what we need up. We need wingers to stretch the field like Tello, Pedro and Villa but with Fabregas the play becomes so narrow. Roura needs to realize that when we play Milan. We play better when we have wingers who don't just drift inside all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I think SAF is trying for the balance. He bought Kag who is clearly there to push balls through the middle, but then we have Zaha coming in too, and Nani contract extension. I can rarely guess next game's team so I really don't know what the plan is
    Lol, yeah true. I think he's looking at europe with playing through the middle. The past few years the middle has been poor which costed you the CL vs barcelona and got you knocked out of the europa league by a team as weak as bilbao last season. You can get by with the winger system in the prem since the quality is poor but with the improvements in the middle you're now cruising to a title. Looks like SAF sorted out the teams problems that were pretty glaring the past 2-3 seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    We're paying for not using the wings. Fabregas being in the team along with Xavi and Iniesta screws what we need up. We need wingers to stretch the field like Tello, Pedro and Villa but with Fabregas the play becomes so narrow. Roura needs to realize that when we play Milan. We play better when we have wingers who don't just drift inside all the time.
    Yeah I know, do you think that fabregas just doesn't fit the team or he can't play with xavi and iniesta together?

Didn't guardiola play him up front with messi in a 3-5-2 or something when he was doing well at the start of the 11-12 season. He was playing up front or next to messi at one point iirc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    Quite frankly half the time Barca could benefit by having some players willing to shoot from outside the damn box. I am convinced had Barca taken some pop shots from 25-30 yards you wouldn't have lost to Chelsea in the CL semi final.

I think key, as ever is variation. You cannot set up to defend against everything, long balls, short balls, through balls, to feet, cutting inside driving outside, etc. The more arrows in your quiver the better.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, do you think that fabregas just doesn't fit the team or he can't play with xavi and iniesta together?

Didn't guardiola play him up front with messi in a 3-5-2 or something when he was doing well at the start of the 11-12 season. He was playing up front or next to messi at one point iirc.
    At the start of the season last year he was a false number 9 and alternating with Messi so it got pretty confusing for defenders/ midfielders if they were supposed to shadow Messi. Then Messi would drop further back and Fabregas would take that spot. I think he fits but only if hes playing where Xavi is playing. I've noticed if hes playing with Iniesta as the CM its much more direct then a Xavi/Iniesta partnership. He fits the team but not if there's 3 CM playing along with another DM the play just becomes so narrow.

(Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Quite frankly half the time Barca could benefit by having some players willing to shoot from outside the damn box. I am convinced had Barca taken some pop shots from 25-30 yards you wouldn't have lost to Chelsea in the CL semi final.

I think key, as ever is variation. You cannot set up to defend against everything, long balls, short balls, through balls, to feet, cutting inside driving outside, etc. The more arrows in your quiver the better.
    Tello and Villa are perfect for this. Teams are scared of Tello because hes so quick and direct and he has improved his retention of the ball. Villa well is able to shoot from far out as well as interchange as the forward up top. At the Nou Camp the coach needs to play two wingers and we should be able to pull Milan apart since first leg they knew Iniesta was just going to cut inside. The most dangerous moves usually came from Alba overlapping on the left. Wing play is crucial.

ReputationRep:

I think Fabregas was playing through the middle as a false number 9 (like he did for Spain), with Messi on the right. But Messi was still usually furthest forward. I feel like from Barcelona's perspective, starting Fabregas can be negative for their overall performance, but he's just such a good player to leave on the bench. In any case, he will at least be a long term replacement for Xavi. The guy is still only 25 ffs.

United's line-ups have been funny this season; when we want to be more defensive, we start strikers on the wing. Only because Welbeck and Rooney are better work-horses than say Nani and Kagawa.

I wonder how our season would have developed if Van Persie stayed at Arsenal. Kagawa behind Rooney up top would still have all the potential to be a force to be reckoned with. No way would our starting line-up be as strong, but I do think we would naturally have a better balance to our side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I think Fabregas was playing through the middle as a false number 9 (like he did for Spain), with Messi on the right. But Messi was still usually furthest forward. I feel like from Barcelona's perspective, starting Fabregas can be negative for their overall performance, but he's just such a good player to leave on the bench. In any case, he will at least be a long term replacement for Xavi. The guy is still only 25 ffs.

United's line-ups have been funny this season; when we want to be more defensive, we start strikers on the wing. Only because Welbeck and Rooney are better work-horses than say Nani and Kagawa.

I wonder how our season would have developed if Van Persie stayed at Arsenal. Kagawa behind Rooney up top would still have all the potential to be a force to be reckoned with. No way would our starting line-up be as strong, but I do think we would naturally have a better balance to our side.
    Not sure we would have better balance - well we'd have better balance as in Kagawa would get to play in his favoured position but I don't think it'll help on a structural level and we wouldn't be doing so well. Rooney is more than capable of playing as a striker, sure, but he is nowhere near as good as RVP with his back towards goal and his ability to go past players has declined as he has morphed into a more complete attacker.

Stick tight to the back of Rooney and your job is done - Kompany has pulled it off a few times, as have a few others. We'd probably end up with a situation where we don't have reference point in some games as Rooney tends to come looking for the ball when we're not doing so well. Rooney's weaknesses are RVP's strengths, I think RVP's more refined lone-striker play ahas won us 6-8 points this season alone, if not more.

I think Rooney's ability is wasted as a striker. He has so much ability, when he's on his game he can pretty much control the tempo of the game and do everything else. I really, really don't think he should play as our striker again, unless we're in dire straits!

ReputationRep:
    Acidentally deleted my subscription to this thread. This post is just for re-subbing.

ReputationRep:
    'It's Carrick, you know, hard to believe its not Scholes'. Brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure that chant lasted like half an hour, crazy

ReputationRep:
    I was surprised to hear the Carrick chant, its been around for years and never really went anywhere other than being aired in the pubs once in a blue moon. I was singing it around town pissed up last year after Everton away, never thought I'd ever hear it catch on in a ground. Hopefully it'll start at Old Trafford now, the kicking a blue song spread like wildfire after Braga away, no reason this one cant too.

ReputationRep:
    Schlupp, the LB/striker, our recent u21 player on 'trial' if thats the right word is playing v Liverpool , doing a pretty decent job too v a far more experience Liverpool side.

ReputationRep:
    Bale :drool:

Can't afford him the way he is playing right now- would absolutely love him. I really hope he stays in the PL though, at Madrid he wouldn't do as well as he isn't the star player anymore then, so the ball won't be distributed to him as much and he can't be as selfish. A £30 million bid in summer please SAF?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Bale :drool:

Can't afford him the way he is playing right now- would absolutely love him. I really hope he stays in the PL though, at Madrid he wouldn't do as well as he isn't the star player anymore then, so the ball won't be distributed to him as much and he can't be as selfish. A £30 million bid in summer please SAF?
    He'll go for quite a lot more than that. Levy managed to squeeze 33 million out of Real for Modric, and Bale is leagues above him.

ReputationRep:
    Levy will probably get £50m for Bale. He has the potential to be up there with CR7 and Messi.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldnt pay more than £40m for Bale...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Wouldnt pay more than £40m for Bale...
    You're an Arsenal fan, you've got no worries there mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie9872)
    You're an Arsenal fan, you've got no worries there mate.
    Yeah Wenger'll find a similar player in the French third division for £0.5m as usual

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see Bale getting to Madrid next year as long as Spurs hit champions league. He'll eat at Ronaldo's playing time if he's played on the left which won't happen and he's not that great playing dominantly from the right. You could play him behind Benzema but you have so much invested in Ozil and Modric. You're not going to play him at LB.

I get that it is Madrid they could do whatever they want. But Daniel Levy will draw this out as long as possible and squeeze out every penny.

Bale isn't going to pull a Modric. He won't demand and sit out. He just started his family in Wales. It'll probably will happen but not in the next 12 months.

ReputationRep:
    If they get CL, I think he'll stay. I don't see the attraction in going to Madrid when Ronaldo is THE man and is likely to be till the end of his contract. It might be Madrid ask for a first refusal on Bale if Ronaldo leaves, Bale would be a potential replacement.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.