The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Yeah Wenger'll find a similar player in the French third division for £0.5m as usual :wink:

Oh them days have long gone.
Original post by mdajoka
Oh them days have long gone.

Carl Jenkinson for less than £1m from League 1? Now taken Sagna's spot from the team.
Reply 1522
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Levy will probably get £50m for Bale. He has the potential to be up there with CR7 and Messi.

Can't see it myself, the potential to be a top world class player if he can find some consistency but I haven't seen much to suggest he will be on the level of Ronaldo or Messi.
Original post by Zürich
Carl Jenkinson for less than £1m from League 1? Now taken Sagna's spot from the team.

He's not exactly the same standard of Bale tho is he?
One thing of late that has impressed me about Bale is his scoring late in games, I think when you have played the 90 and score late to win that game it says something about a player mentally.
I think Bale is a fantastic player and on world class form atm but those people comparing him to CR7/Messi, are you serious? See this is the problem with the UK, the way you guys hype up players is insane!

I mean people are saying he should win player of the year, but what about Michu? Who has been a miracle signing for Swansea!
He'll go through a run of bad form soon and the Walcott v Bale, "bale is over-rated" articles will be back again.

I'd take him, clearly, but we have enough wide players who can do a job better than other areas we need a replacement. Atleast one CM, a decent young LB (Luke Shaw k thanks) and a top class CB.

Probably need a striker too, we always need those
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21576949

Manchester United captain Nemanja Vidic is confident that he will soon be available for every game as he seeks to overcome a troublesome knee injury.

The 31-year-old believes his knee will be in peak condition before the end of the campaign, after revealing he has experienced swelling - but no pain - after some recent outings.
Original post by Tommyjw
He'll go through a run of bad form soon and the Walcott v Bale, "bale is over-rated" articles will be back again.

I'd take him, clearly, but we have enough wide players who can do a job better than other areas we need a replacement. Atleast one CM, a decent young LB (Luke Shaw k thanks) and a top class CB.

Probably need a striker too, we always need those

Cavani and lewandowski together will sort out the striker problems. Just put rooney/rafael in CM, Phil jones as left back and that's solved.
Supposedly Bayern are interested in Bale. But realistically I dont see why they need him. Ribery left Müller right, and you still got Robben on the bench and Shaqiri (who, obviously, didn't get into his game a Bayern, he was superbe at Basel, but just might next season with more playing time).
Original post by jam277
Cavani and lewandowski together will sort out the striker problems. Just put rooney/rafael in CM, Phil jones as left back and that's solved.

Since when is Lewandowski going to Manu?
Original post by jakemittle
I think Bale is a fantastic player and on world class form atm but those people comparing him to CR7/Messi, are you serious? See this is the problem with the UK, the way you guys hype up players is insane!

I mean people are saying he should win player of the year, but what about Michu? Who has been a miracle signing for Swansea!

Look at what bale does for tottenham, he's firing them into a champions league spot. I think he can become as good as ronaldo but he's not there yet. I remember 419 on the thread saying he's a one trick pony who relies on acceleration, next weeks he scores 2 free kicks and yesterday he just scored a ronaldo goal, neither goals relied on his acceleration/pace and comparing stats he has similar if not better stats than ronaldo at the same age apparently.

Tbh the only real thing missing from bales game(assuming he keeps up the form) is his right foot and then he'll be as good as ronaldo. He's better at free kicks than ronaldo, ronaldo just takes them all until one doesn't hit the wall and fly over and goes in. His conversion rate is pathetic but he just does a frank lampard and shoots till one goes in and everyone raves about him.
Original post by danny111
Since when is Lewandowski going to Manu?

taking.the.piss.mate. I was suggesting in the same post that phil jones should play left back and rooney should play as CM to accommodate lewandowski and cavani lol. Sarcasm.is.hard.to.detect.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Look at what bale does for tottenham, he's firing them into a champions league spot. I think he can become as good as ronaldo but he's not there yet. I remember 419 on the thread saying he's a one trick pony who relies on acceleration, next weeks he scores 2 free kicks and yesterday he just scored a ronaldo goal, neither goals relied on his acceleration/pace and comparing stats he has similar if not better stats than ronaldo at the same age apparently.

Tbh the only real thing missing from bales game(assuming he keeps up the form) is his right foot and then he'll be as good as ronaldo. He's better at free kicks than ronaldo, ronaldo just takes them all until one doesn't hit the wall and fly over and goes in. His conversion rate is pathetic but he just does a frank lampard and shoots till one goes in and everyone raves about him.

Youre being silly now. Okay so if his right foot is better he will be like Ronaldo, are you kidding me?
Ronaldo has been in rich form consistently since 2007/8! And atm he has something like 182 goals in 183 games for Madrid. Stop it seriously
Bale is a quality player on fantastic form atm, but Ronaldo does this week in week out for Madrid
Original post by jam277
taking.the.piss.mate. I was suggesting in the same post that phil jones should play left back and rooney should play as CM to accommodate lewandowski and cavani lol. Sarcasm.is.hard.to.detect.

Oh I didn't read your whole post.
Youre being silly now. Okay so if his right foot is better he will be like Ronaldo, are you kidding me?
Ronaldo has been in rich form consistently since 2007/8! And atm he has something like 182 goals in 183 games for Madrid. Stop it seriously
Bale is a quality player on fantastic form atm, but Ronaldo does this week in week out for Madrid

Ok, read my post carefully. I watch ronaldo almost every week. Tell me what side ronaldo has to his game that bale doesn't(besides consistent goalscoring and being both footed) and I will actually listen to you. Bale is a better free kick taker. They both rely on acceleration but ronaldo has more flair, but a lot of the time the stepovers don't work and he just gets the ball until it works. His conversion rate is poor, van persie's conversion rate is 3 times better e.g.

But hey, don't listen to me and just say ronaldo is the greatest ever. Look at their stats when they were the same age. Because you're comparing a 23 year old with a 28 year old who's played for better teams than the 23 year old and he's managing similar stats to the guy at the same age. But hey lets not listen and be defensive because I suggested he could be as good as ronaldo.

summary if you can't comprehend what i'm saying
1. Bale is 5 years younger and managing similar stats to ronaldo at the same age at a worse team.
2. Bale only lacks a right foot and flair and he'd have the same skill set as ronaldo. Same thing can be said for messi though.
3. Ronaldo has a terrible conversion rate but madrid just create chances for him and eventually he scores because he's such a good player, does bale have xabi alonso, ozil, kaka, di maria and modric to create chances no he has ****ing dembele, lennon, holtby and sigurdsson.
4. I also said that he needs more consistency to become as good as ronaldo but he's starting to show it.

But hey lets be defensive because you didn't understand what I'm saying though. Good on you.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Ok, read my post carefully. I watch ronaldo almost every week. Tell me what side ronaldo has to his game that bale doesn't(besides consistent goalscoring and being both footed) and I will actually listen to you. Bale is a better free kick taker. They both rely on acceleration but ronaldo has more flair, but a lot of the time the stepovers don't work and he just gets the ball until it works. His conversion rate is poor, van persie's conversion rate is 3 times better e.g.

But hey, don't listen to me and just say ronaldo is the greatest ever. Look at their stats when they were the same age. Because you're comparing a 23 year old with a 28 year old who's played for better teams than the 23 year old and he's managing similar stats to the guy at the same age. But hey lets not listen and be defensive because I suggested he could be as good as ronaldo.

summary if you can't comprehend what i'm saying
1. Bale is 5 years younger and managing similar stats to ronaldo at the same age at a worse team.
2. Bale only lacks a right foot and flair and he'd have the same skill set as ronaldo. Same thing can be said for messi though.
3. Ronaldo has a terrible conversion rate but madrid just create chances for him and eventually he scores because he's such a good player, does bale have xabi alonso, ozil, kaka, di maria and modric to create chances no he has ****ing dembele, lennon, holtby and sigurdsson.
4. I also said that he needs more consistency to become as good as ronaldo but he's starting to show it.

But hey lets be defensive because you didn't understand what I'm saying though. Good on you.

I understand what youre saying. But this hype thing annoys me, this is a problem I see in the UK where you have a good English player and he is hyped up to be some sort of world beater and compared to the greats. I remember hearing Rooney during/after Euro 2004 being called 'White Pele' a couple times.

I think that Messi is better than Ronaldo and that Pele is the greatest ever :P

And i'm not doubting that he is a great player with a potential to be world class, but I think the comparisons to someone like Ronaldo are premature.
Btw consistent goal-scoring and being two footed are pretty important sides to have for an attacking player wouldnt you agree? Oh and he is better in the air and is stronger.

Anyways we'll have to agree to disagree on that one
I understand what youre saying. But this hype thing annoys me, this is a problem I see in the UK where you have a good English player and he is hyped up to be some sort of world beater and compared to the greats. I remember hearing Rooney during/after Euro 2004 being called 'White Pele' a couple times.

I think that Messi is better than Ronaldo and that Pele is the greatest ever :P

And i'm not doubting that he is a great player with a potential to be world class, but I think the comparisons to someone like Ronaldo are premature.
Btw consistent goal-scoring and being two footed are pretty important sides to have for an attacking player wouldnt you agree? Oh and he is better in the air and is stronger.

Anyways we'll have to agree to disagree on that one

Rooney is a great player, he's just made to play in a support role now but he's outstanding to watch in full flow, he's probably the most complete player in this league bar RVP, Heck he's more complete than Ronaldo but ronaldos other attributes make up for it. Also bale is welsh not english. They hype players that are from this league.

Messis better than pele imo, Ronaldo is probably on peles level.

Wrt consistant goalscoring, bale has similar stats to ronaldo at the same age if not better in the league. Two messi isn't two footed or flairy like Ronaldo but makes up for it by being a better finisher, better balance and better agility.

Bale can make up for it if he keeps up the consistency and effectiveness. Bale is blatantly stronger than ronaldo. Ronaldo is better in the air.

I'm just saying that he can be as good and his current progress suggests he can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
and he is better in the air

I can't think of any other player better in the air tbh. His initial jump, form and composure are just immense.
Original post by mikeyd85
I can't think of any other player better in the air tbh. His initial jump, form and composure are just immense.

Heskey, no seriously I've never seen the guy lose a header when he's played, too bad he's **** at everything else.

But yeah ronaldo is ridiculous in the air.

Latest