Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Just went to Wiki, I seemed to remember him having a falling out with the internation side and wanted to check.

Top of his Wiki page
    Yes, there was the "walk out" In the 2002 WC and he was frequently critical of the "Irish mentality" (always go to a WC to make up the numbers and have a laugh, never go to win games) and the set up under Charlton and McCarthy.

Historically he's probably been more critical of Ireland than United/SAF, although for a large part of that time (including the publication of his autobiography) he was a United player of course. Since then he's been doing his best to even things out.

Ultimately he's a pundit. He's paid to give his decision. If he genuinely believes what he says, and isn't saying it just to be controversial/wind up SAF, then good for him. It's refreshing to have different opinions and for people to not act like sheep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Perhaps, he's a very aggressive person.

His United career didn't exactly end on good terms, he left abruptly and took pops at former team mates right afterwards. He certainly holds a level of animosity towards Fergie.

I don't think it been thrown away, but IMO, he clearly has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and fans aren't going to tolerate him repeatedly having digs. Its certainly not just about this one incident, I said to my friends Keane would be exactly as he was before they even went to the studio. Its not the opinion, its the reason he feels the need to take such a stance every time he is on a United game.
    Keane was never going to leave through the front door of Old Trafford with a pat on the back from Fergie and humming 'glory glory man utd' was he?
    Its not as if he's out to get Utd, just that hes not sentimental and doesn't feel the need to brown nose Fergie(I respect that tbh).

He was a nutcase at Utd and you loved him for it. He hasnt changed since he left just that he doesn't think he owed Utd anything. No point abusing the guy now(not that hed give a flying **** anyway) just take his opinion for what it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Seems bizarre to me to throw all the wonderful things Keano did for you aside over a few silly sentences in a studio. Ian Wright/Adams/Merson come out every other week saying Arsenal are a joke going nowhere but I wouldnt hold it against them since that's what they believe.
    To be fair his chant got a couple of airings last Saturday against Norwich. Obviously tensions are running high tonight, but I certainly don't think the fanbase has (or will) turn on him on the basis of his opinion on a single peno - however important it may have been.

I would certainly hope not anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    United fans moaning about a refereeing decision not going their way. I never thought I'd see the day.
    Don't you have anything better to do than have pops at united fans. I feel sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    Tough luck but Karma's a b itch.
    Assuming that space is there because you're trying to circumvent the filter, I'd just like to say that ***** is a female dog. I have a *****, she's called Candy. It's a legitimate word so why should it be in the filter?

And there have been a number of occasions when decisions have gone against us, often unfairly. I would develop this further and provide examples but I know you're just WUMing.

ReputationRep:
    I could literally post so so many occasions when United have had the rub of the green in regards to refereeing decisions either killing off a game for them or getting them back into one, so don't start saying I'm wumming when a United player studs an opponent in the chest, intentional or not. He could have avoided it to.

ReputationRep:
    Cannot believe that. Wasn't even concentrating when the red was given as it was obviously never going to be more than a yellow. I don't even know what to say, dreadful...

ReputationRep:
    United fans moaning about a refereeing decision not going their way. I never thought I'd see the day.
    Oh I see, you're one of those people that thinks United get all the decisions, even though if you'd watch most of their games you'd find that that is untrue.

ReputationRep:
    All you haters out there are clueless. Instead of laughing at us couldn't you have joined in backing the (realistically) last remaining British team in Europe? I was one of the biggest supporters of Chelsea last year- as I like to get behind British clubs and British players. People **** me off who call United 'scum', then the next day whining about a bloody Spanish team winning the CL every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modini)
    Oh I see, you're one of those people that thinks United get all the decisions, even though if you'd watch most of their games you'd find that that is untrue.
    They get far more than their fair share of decisions, particularly when at home.

ReputationRep:
    It's laughable to suggest Nani's kick was a "kung-fu" kick, it was nowhere near his head or his chest. Caught him on the side and Arbeloa, milked it abit too much although I can't imagine it's the nicest thing to endure. Nani clearly had his eyes on the ball, looked before he jumped that there was no-one there and tbh, had he not, Arbeloa took control of it and helped Real score then Nani would have been flamed. He had a decent but not outstanding game and it's a shame if he leaves at the end of the season with that memory of being sent off.

This feels like 2010 with Bayern and Rafael. Although this hurts more as we came up against a Madrid side that was bang on form, had Ronaldo etc, and we played to a game-plan for two matches until that red card. Brave effort by the players but credit to Madrid, once they got a sniff, they attacked and I felt infuriated to think that the guy who got them level was someone who was voted the worst La Liga signing.

Credit to Ronaldo, didn't celebrate his goal but even at the end when I expected him to applaud the home crowd, he wisely didn't and trudged off. Knew it wasn't the time to accept any plaudits.

Mourinho's played a blinder. As much as he dismisses, he's clearly angling for the United job in the future. His comments at the end were a nice ploy but a tad cringy because I expect he'll be smiling all the way home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Ultimately he's a pundit. He's paid to give his decision. If he genuinely believes what he says, and isn't saying it just to be controversial/wind up SAF, then good for him. It's refreshing to have different opinions and for people to not act like sheep.
    I do think its refreshing, sometime he comes out after games when everyone else is parroting the "champions performance" and says what needs to be said, it was not up to standard and it was more luck than judgement. He'll call players out I like that. The issue is, I don't think he is being genuine.

(Original post by Zürich)
    Keane was never going to leave through the front door of Old Trafford with a pat on the back from Fergie and humming 'glory glory man utd' was he?
    Its not as if he's out to get Utd, just that hes not sentimental and doesn't feel the need to brown nose Fergie(I respect that tbh).

He was a nutcase at Utd and you loved him for it. He hasnt changed since he left just that he doesn't think he owed Utd anything. No point abusing the guy now(not that hed give a flying **** anyway) just take his opinion for what it is.
    I know that, but as I said, I do think he has an agenda. Its as simple as that.

The same applies the other way, he had his time, he took his pay, fans don't owe him anything. The respect has to be mutual, if he's going to be that way, then he should expect to be treated like any other pundit so bringing up what he gave the club is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    I could literally post so so many occasions when United have had the rub of the green in regards to refereeing decisions either killing off a game for them or getting them back into one, so don't start saying I'm wumming when a United player studs an opponent in the chest, intentional or not. He could have avoided it to.
    Never considered that it's just the case that, as United (and their games) are high profile, you're more likely to notice such decisions compared to, say, a Norwich or Wigan? As with many teams we have a manger who can berate an official, and have players who will do the same (e.g. Ferdinand against Spurs v OT in 2010-2011) but in terms of the actual decisions, and how fair they are, I think this "united bias" is exaggerated.

And red card or not, the referee still missed what was, in my opinion, a clear penalty in the closing minutes. Not to mention other incidents during the game that affected both teams.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, united fans are starting to realise/have realised what every other supporter in the country has known for over almost two decades. Roy Keane always has been and always will be a complete and utter ****. You lot just never noticed because he was your ****, and now he's no longer in the shirt it's becoming clear to yanited supporters as well. Doesn't take away from the fact that he was a great player for you though.

He's clearly quite bitter at the way his career ended at United, and he obviously still holds a grudge against Fergie. I have no doubt he was making the case that it was a red because he is a very bitter man and always goes against united these days. It wasn't a red, and in fact arbeloa could have been sent off as he made a worse challenge on Evra. And that is what makes it sweeter and funnier to fans up and down the country laughing their heads off that a decision didn't go your way at Old Trafford.

Chins up anyway, you're gonna win the title...

ReputationRep:
    Nani must be absolutely gutted. He played decent but not outstanding, did his job and to get sent off harshly and after being given the chance tonight. I don't think SAF will hold it against him or use it as a negative point in any discussions on his future.

ReputationRep:
    In other news, "United's new signing Wilfried Zaha scored a goal & assisted two as Crystal Palace beat Hull City 4-2.".

An important match near the top of the championship

ReputationRep:
    Trawling through Twitter has reminded me that Arbeloa went in studs raised on Evra (yellow) and Lopez punched Vidic in the face (no card).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    In other news, "United's new signing Wilfried Zaha scored a goal & assisted two as Crystal Palace beat Hull City 4-2.".

An important match near the top of the championship
    Lool, love the sly change of subject there Tommo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Lool, love the sly change of subject there Tommo
    Need something to get happy about. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU)
    WHAT ABOUT RAMOS ON EVRA?

What I do not understand is that 200 million people watching this match and 1 person can change the outcome-how come so much power be given to one person who can make mistakes?

Also, who chooses this referee? Why him? He had prior experience in given red cards to English teams in past years...I smell bull ****.
    What if those red cards in the past were deserved? :holmes:

(Original post by cleveradam)
    Ignore the pitiful Chelsea fan. As a true Chelsea fan I know that it sucks to loose in the way you did. Reminiscent to that of the 09 Semi final vs Barcelona where we should've had 4 penalties and they scored late...
    Stupid decision though - LIKE 2 MONTHS AGO THERE WAS EXACTLY SAME RED CARDS ON CARLTON COLE AND HIBBERT which later got removed and the red cards got removed.
    Also the Referee ref's in the Spanish League which might answer some of your questions.
    No he doesn't....

Enjoyable game until the red. Had a feeling afterwards it would go down hill. Which was a shame as we were doing so well before.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.