Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Like Aky, I can't help but think of the Bayern tie in 2010, except the sending off was extremely harsh this time around. On the positive side, you can't fault the players for their effort, there were some brilliant performances tonight (the sky is the limit for Rafael and Welbeck). It hurts but the players can overcome this. Like in 2010, Barca are (probably) out and even if they don't go out then they're certainly not at their swashbuckling best. This could have been a real chance for us to win it; sure, there would have been a few more hurdles to overcome but I think it would have been neck and neck between us and Bayern to win it. On a personal level, it's why I hate the CL - all it takes sometimes is a moment of madness to destroy it all. With little separating the top sides, it comes down to small variables. It's a pity we've had the hardest variable to swallow dropped upon us (incompetent refereeing), especially as SAF pretty much got the team selection and tactics spot on. But we must move on, there is a lot to be positive about!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miK7qyot6Kw - won penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF3QJvHApTI - won penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF0-8RfxaJI - ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVtYWd5TRS4 - won free kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt5UwnJCS8c - won penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-8dOjeVC80 - clear goal disallowed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysFbWwzrI0A - won penalty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs88nvpF_gw - yellow card for Drogba-similar to tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x-JpH26Pt4 -torres send off, whilst ashley cole wins a penalty for something not too dissimilar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwTxBkUTqlw - yard plus offside-goal given.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0WQfSLxSw0 - shelvey sent off, Evans two feet up should have been sent off too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM747L9Wf8M - joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    All you haters out there are clueless. Instead of laughing at us couldn't you have joined in backing the (realistically) last remaining British team in Europe? I was one of the biggest supporters of Chelsea last year- as I like to get behind British clubs and British players. People **** me off who call United 'scum', then the next day whining about a bloody Spanish team winning the CL every year.
    I said this would be the final and Madrid will win, predictions over passion so don't give a ****.

You did entertain me with some quality football. Don't want mourinho to manage you guys though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    The thing is, united fans are starting to realise/have realised what every other supporter in the country has known for over almost two decades.
    I don't think United fans are as blind as you seem to think they are. I'm sure many have been aware that he's outspoken and, shall we say, can be a bit of a tit. Of course he was rarely, if ever, widely criticised by fans as he showed incredible commitment and provided drive to the team.

Much of the criticism tonight will be from frustrated fans taking it out on Keane.

And that is what makes it sweeter and funnier to fans up and down the country laughing their heads off that a decision didn't go your way at Old Trafford.
    As they often (or at least sometimes) do, but I'm fed up of saying that now.

Take how much our goal against Tottenham in 2010-2011 was discussed, compared to the penalty Newcastle were awarded last season (good tackle by Ferdinand). The goal was very unusual, and the penalty decision was "just a penalty decision" (the sort of thing that comes up every week) so not that best comparison, admittedly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I don't think United fans are as blind as you seem to think they are. I'm sure many have been aware that he's outspoken and, shall we say, can be a bit of a tit. Of course he was rarely, if ever, widely criticised by fans as he showed incredible commitment and provided drive to the team.

Much of the criticism tonight will be from frustrated fans taking it out on Keane.

As they often (or at least sometimes) do, but I'm fed up of saying that now.

Take how much our goal against Tottenham in 2010-2011 was discussed, compared to the penalty Newcastle were awarded last season (good tackle by Ferdinand).
    Same for barca, same for Chelsea under mourinho same for Madrid last year, you see the recurring theme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The comments from some people about the incident, especially Roy Keane, dissapointed me greatly because for me it demonstrates that some people have a fundamental lack of understanding of the game.

Firstly, this decision is not an isolated one, it's something that, unfortunately, we have been seeing for quite a while now in European games and my opinion applies to all of these incidents rather than this one specifically.

The issue I have with the red card is that the fact people try to justify it as 'dangerous play' is totally illogical. When the ball is at a certain height a player needs to make a decision as to how he is going to challenge for the ball. What do Fifa expect? Do they want players to dive in with their head in order to win it 'safely' and protect the other player from harm? What if the player challenging for the ball is kicked in the head? Surely this is more dangerous than Arbeloa getting a scrape on the ribs? Football is a physical sport and people are going to get hurt no matter how many rules and regulations you add to the game - a Ronaldo rocket free kick, an overhead kick, a goalkeeper coming out to punch the ball ... all these have the potential to cause injury and yet I don't see FIFA putting in a speed limit with regards to how fast you can hit the ball.

What do you expect the defender to do? Let the attacking player run past him? How is someone going to win the ball off the ground? Who gets priority over the other when challenging for a bouncing ball? The team with possession? The home team? The team that the referee is partial to? Should we make it a rule whereby one has to wait for the ball to bounce before trying to make a tackle? While we're at it, let's just make football a no-contact sport and ban people from kicking it in the air. I'm sure the Spanish would love that.

This bemusing way of quantifying risk isn't the same as someone going in two-footed for challenge. These rules are being applied in situations where going high with your foot is absolutely necessary either to block a shot or prevent someone running through on goal.

People will ask the question; why are FIFA implementing these rules? To protect players would be the answer. But to get the real answer you need to ask a further question; what kind of players are they trying to protect? The flair players or attacking players that are most likely to be subjected to these types of challenges. Why are they protecting the flair players? Because these are the kind of players that, in FIFA's totally subjective opinion, fans will pay to see (forgetting the sell-out stadiums back when football was 'barbarious'), hence generating money that doesn't go towards developing football in Africa or implementing goal-line technology but goes into the pockets of Blatter et. al. Trust me when I say that they'd rather see a player like Vidic die on the pitch than Messi be out for three weeks with a broken toe. That's what it all comes down to in my opinion.

Unfortunately we will see the 'beautiful' game become unrecognisable in the years to come. They need to strike a balance between great players getting kicked out of the game and the lack of physiciality that gives rise to theatrics and diving.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    ^Those are what you'd call kung-fu kicks, especially De Jong's.

A complete exaggeration to say Nani's is in that same category.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    It wasn't a red, and in fact arbeloa could have been sent off as he made a worse challenge on Evra...
    just came on here to make that point, i may be a united supporter but the arbeloa challenge had more intent as when he raises his leg the ball is already a yard away. When I saw it first time I thought of scholes' red card against man city in the fa cup final a couple of years ago.

Didn't feel it was a red, nani checked if he had space, if anything arbeloa challenged for a ball that he was never gong to win (nani won the ball before making contact) and took nani out mid flight, I think it speaks volumes that the real madrid fans didn't appeal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    ^Those are what you'd call kung-fu kicks, especially De Jong's.

A complete exaggeration to say Nani's is in that same category.
    None of them reds crazy right

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone think of Mourinho's comments post match? A bit of a slap in the face for Madrid after such a tough game. I've never seen him butter up to anyone like that before - especially after a tough game for his team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VQG)
    What did everyone think of Mourinho's comments post match? A bit of a slap in the face for Madrid after such a tough game. I've never seen him butter up to anyone like that before - especially after a tough game for his team.
    Guys ignore those posting abusive/negative comments, they are just trying to get a reaction from us. However, we'll see who's laughing when we lift the trophy at the end of the season:cool: Yes it was a disappointing exit from the CL last night however, independent of the whole Nani red card shenanigans, it was good to see how we played with 11 men against one of the best teams in the world. Though I do believe (like many) that the red card changed the whole dynamics of the game and paved the road for victory in Real Madrid favour.

VQG I also think it was strange, he showed so much respect when leaving the pitch and during the post-match interview. Suppose he doesn't want to leave OT on bad terms (in terms of his humbleness) because it is potentially his future job to manage there. I mean we've seen many managers move to clubs who don't want them *cough Benitez* and Mouriniho simply wants to keep United sweet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBSP)
    What was the point in posting that video, you might be happy about how your team caused us distress last season and how the ref caused us distress yesterday but overall city have done jack**** but give us joy in how **** they're and how much superior we're this season and its killing you that we're 12 points ahead that you need to look in the past to get any joy out of supporting your joke of a club, I bet you get nightmares of the inevitable lift of the bpl trophy by SAF again this season.

ReputationRep:
    Feel like I've been kicked in the guts repeatedly May 13 all over again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutmeloose)
    Feel like I've been kicked in the guts repeatedly May 13 all over again
    The way city won the trophy was absolutely pathetic tbh. Coming from a chelsea fan, I remember us slugging for the trophy in 2010 and we had the premier league at half time. I guess city deserved it for doing you over twice though so gotta give them credit but still they barely beat a ten man QPR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBSP)
    Man City aren't even my team. I just thought the video was funny.
    It's something you do to piss your friends off, making Agueeeeroooo noises. But it's really not funny on here. Maybe you could have delivered the joke better I don't know but that really, really wasn't funny.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be such bad losers. Was a harsh red card. It was given. You got well beaten in the end.

Plenty decisions go your way. That one didn't.

What were your thoughts of Ronaldo? I thought he was brilliant.. Not performance wise. Just the fact he didn't celebrate the win or his goal etc. Complete opposite of Adebayor for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBSP)
    Man City aren't even my team. I just thought the video was funny.
    Ok then post in a comedic section not the man utd society where we want to talk all things man utd, plus the fact that city isn't your team makes it even more ridiculous, haters these days.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    I still feel gutted :sad:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.