Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage)
    Don't be such bad losers. Was a harsh red card. It was given. You got well beaten in the end.

Plenty decisions go your way. That one didn't..
    Wouldn't say we got well beaten. We had the better chances over the two games easily.

There were also atleast 4 game changing decisions that didn't go our way over the two legs it's not just 'that one didn't tbh

ReputationRep:
    We can still do the double (Premier league and FA Cup)
    This loss will just make us hungrier for more silverware.

I thought SAF got the tactics perfect in that game anyway next hurdle is Chelsea in FA cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VQG)
    What did everyone think of Mourinho's comments post match? A bit of a slap in the face for Madrid after such a tough game. I've never seen him butter up to anyone like that before - especially after a tough game for his team.
    Wasn't sure if he wanted the job before that interview, that interview made up my mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Wasn't sure if he wanted the job before that interview, that interview made up my mind.
    it's perfect for his ego tbf, he wants to be the best manager in the world and he knows Sir Alex is that right now and has been for some time, for him taking the job Sir Alex had and trying to emulate him is the ultimate challenge imo, wouldn't be at all surprised if he is our next manager, when is really the bigger question. I don't think Sir Alex will announce his retirement until the day he steps down so he could well leave as soon as the summer (though I think that's fairly unlikely)

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, it's no consolation at all, but I can't see past Bayern for the title, so winning it would've been incredibly difficult. On the other hand, Real Madrid would've been out and Barca may well be going the same way... Meh.

I'd really like to see us win the FA Cup this season, it's been nearly 10 years now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage)
    Don't be such bad losers. Was a harsh red card. It was given. You got well beaten in the end.

Plenty decisions go your way. That one didn't.

What were your thoughts of Ronaldo? I thought he was brilliant.. Not performance wise. Just the fact he didn't celebrate the win or his goal etc. Complete opposite of Adebayor for example.
    It happens. It's annoying but after a day or two when people calm down they realise under the balance of play madrid deserved it, just that that decision made it easier for madrid than it should have been.

Performance wise he was great in the first half of the first leg, probably one of his best performances but in the second leg he was pretty poor bar the goal. But yeah have respect for ronaldo. Well adebayor left on bad terms while ronaldo didn't, that's probably why. He's idoled as a hero while adebayor has been idoled as a donkey his whole time at arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xDave-)
    Oh well, it's no consolation at all, but I can't see past Bayern for the title, so winning it would've been incredibly difficult. On the other hand, Real Madrid would've been out and Barca may well be going the same way... Meh.

I'd really like to see us win the FA Cup this season, it's been nearly 10 years now.
    Tbh I think madrid will win it. I don't know why people are just saying bayern. They've played great this season, but tbh I kinda knew madrid will win the tie. I can't see past madrid or bayern tbh. They've taken out united against all odds(lets be honest united were favourites to go through especially after the first leg) and they've managed to batter barcelona away at the nou camp, they deserve more respect than blindly giving it to bayern. Bayern are joint favourites for me.

ReputationRep:
    So, Mourinho is virtually guaranteed to be your next manager. He's been cut to 3/1 at at least one bookie and after that comment yesterday it's clear he just wants to remain on good terms with you lot. The only way he doesn't become your manager is because of timing, ie, he's available when Fergie doesn't want to leave, or vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    :sad:

I honestly thought that if we had won last night, the treble was well and truly a reachable target. Would have loved to see how we faired against Bayern.

Still, the double is on and despite the loss, United put on a hero performance at home. The work rate of everyone was fantastic and until the red the win was on. Gotta say, watching Giggs chase the ball down when played back to their keeper when we were 2-1 down was fantastic. He was like a man possessed!

ReputationRep:
    If Giggs can still play like he did and put that kind of effort in at his age he can go on for 2 or 3 more seasons, he stepped into Marty McFly's DeLorean yesterday.

United credit to you guys put in a very good performance just unlucky not to go through. You guys actually had a quite a few amount of chances

ReputationRep:
    I hope we absolutely destroy Chelseas ass on Sunday

ReputationRep:
    Overall we deserved to go through in my opinion but I'm biased, I just think that if RVP was on form in both ties we would've easily have scored 2 more goals, we created the chances but our front men never took them, Madrid however while created some amazing chances they were stopped by world class keeping that DDG and only 2-3 other keepers could make, I personally think that Juve, Bayern, Madrid and my favourite Dortmund can win in, Milan/Barca also have a shot but we would definitely have been there had we won

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Was a heroic performance from Rafael, managed to contain Ronaldo for the most part while still offerering a signficant attacking thread. Ran himself into the ground and gave absolutely everything. Best performances came from him and Welbeck, which is encouraging with the future in mind, combined age which can't be much higher than Giggs and they stepped up more than anyone else.

Thought we were excellent for an hour, kept them at arms length and offered a significant attacking threat too. Welbeck's job on Alonso reminded me of Ramires against Dani Alves, cut him out of the game and then broke away help the attacks. It's a job Rooney has struggled to do on the biggest stage, Busquets comes to mind. Welbeck's turning into our Park, and the good thing is that he could become so much more complete.

Madrid deserve credit, they did everything they had to well. Ramos had an excellent game and but for him we'd probably have been leading at the break. Mourinho responded to the red card very well, and if i'm being critical i'd say that SAF didn't, but it's hard to be too negative because his (somewhat surprising) starting selection and tactics were spot on and it's a situation that we should never have been put in. Lots of comparisons to 2010 against Bayern and it definitely is a similar feeling, if Barca go out then it'll probably be even worse because not only are we out of a competition we're favourites/2nd favourites to win but we're out of it primarily because of a refereeing mistake. The Bayern one was our own fault, mistakes from Evra, Carrick and Rafael, but yesterday we were almost flawless and that brings a horrible sense of injustice.

Still, watching us finish the match like we did filled me with pride. Young's commitment to the very end sticks in my mind for some reason. Would have been fascinating to see the last few minutes if the foul on Evra was given and we scored the pen, unlikely it would have changed anything but the feeling for those few minutes would have been incredible. Probably missed a trick but not finding a way to get Hernandez on but there's only so much looking back you can do. Gotta try and move on, there's a title to secure, and Sunday is absolutely massive now.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo has come out and said he believes the occasion and atmosphere got to him more than anything ever has.

Turns out the decision to read the away team first and leave Ronaldo til last worked (in essence as he wasn't that good, not on the result)

ReputationRep:
    Turned on and heard you lot singing 'Murder Us' half way through the second half.

There's always next year lads don't be so upset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    I hope we absolutely destroy Chelseas ass on Sunday
    Hoping SAF can regain his composure. If he does, we really should destroy them with the way they're playing at the moment. Want to see some ruthless aggression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJ)
    Just the sort of referee you don't want against Real I feel. Although going into the closing stages whoever is still chasing will just be getting more and more frustrated. If he's as whistle and card happy as before we could see some fireworks...

So excited for later :teeth:
    Seems like I was right to be worried about the referee. Awful decision for the sending off, extremely soft red card if ever there was one!

Feel gutted today - for Ferguson knowing he'll probably never lift the European Cup again; for Giggs having his 1000th game overshadowed by a stupid red card; and for the team generally. We played some great football in both legs.

Still, congrats to Giggsy on a once in a generation achievement and congrats to Real Madrid on reaching the quarter finals.

ReputationRep:
    Overall it was a good match but the quality between the two sides was apparent with rooneys miss.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=BLITtiHeUyM#!

That shows Nani saw Arbeloa coming...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraRMCF)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=BLITtiHeUyM#!

That shows Nani saw Arbeloa coming...
    So it shows Nani knew he was coming even than he was nowhere near Nani when he looked?

Okay :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.