Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    Usual media bull**** about Rooney today then :rolleyes: can't see him leaving or us wanting him to either, hopefully Sir Alex just shuts this media crap down at the pre match conference for the Chelsea game, which I fully expect Rooney to start btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't even think that there is another top Western European team he could move to. His wages are far too high in comparison to his ability so it rules out Barca, Real, Chelsea, City, Juventus, Bayern. PSG maybe but I doubt Rooney would take the risk.

Then you move to the next tier of European teams, Arsenal etc and the Eastern moneybags like Anzhi. I seriously doubt Rooney would either lower his wage demands to move to a lesser club or swan off to eastern Europe.

It's a completely nothing story tbh :dontknow:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    it really is ridiculous that Ferguson could be punished for not talking to the press surely this must violate some law UEFA should not be able to force someone against their wishes to make a statement

ReputationRep:
    I've said very little about the events surrounding Tuesday evening but ultimately what's done is done. Moving forward now, we have a fantastic chance of doing the double. If we do, it'll be immense for our younger players. If get a taste of some hefty silverware it'll do their confidence wonders for the forthcoming years.

Benitez (http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...eaua-Bucharest) has come out and said that the FA Cup doesn't take priority for him (blatantly just mind games in my opinion). We rested a heck of a lot of players midweek, so we should have a fresh team out on the weekend. I suspect Evans, Rooney, Kagawa, Young and Valencia will come back in.

One point I do want to make is that I think RVP was very poor against Real Madrid; once again (for me) raising the question - does he go missing in the big games? I think he needs a little bit of a rest at the moment. I'd like to see Rooney and Hernandez line-up against Chelsea. I really feel little pea deserves more opportunities.

I think it will be a tight game but I'm optimistic we can see it through. Ultimately, the outcome of Sunday's game depends very much on the squad and whether or not they have the mental strength to bounce back from such a devastating defeat against Real Madrid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    I've said very little about the events surrounding Tuesday evening but ultimately what's done is done. Moving forward now, we have a fantastic chance of doing the double. If we do, it'll be immense for our younger players. If get a taste of some hefty silverware it'll do their confidence wonders for the forthcoming years.

Benitez (http://www1.skysports.com/football/n...eaua-Bucharest) has come out and said that the FA Cup doesn't take priority for him (blatantly just mind games in my opinion). We rested a heck of a lot of players midweek, so we should have a fresh team out on the weekend. I suspect Evans, Rooney, Kagawa, Young and Valencia will come back in.

One point I do want to make is that I think RVP was very poor against Real Madrid; once again (for me) raising the question - does he go missing in the big games? I think he needs a little bit of a rest at the moment. I'd like to see Rooney and Hernandez line-up against Chelsea. I really feel little pea deserves more opportunities.

I think it will be a tight game but I'm optimistic we can see it through. Ultimately, the outcome of Sunday's game depends very much on the squad and whether or not they have the mental strength to bounce back from such a devastating defeat against Real Madrid.
    I think you'll draw to us and then beat us at stamford bridge. RVP was good in the first leg but didn't have a chance to do anything and like the second leg the aim was to defend and pack the bus so obviously RVP didn't have that service he's used to from rooney e.g. and you tried to play through the wings with nani(RVP likes the ball played to feet and get involved with play which may affect the wingers) so it would have made it harder for him. No doubt he's a little jaded though.

RVP doesn't go missing, he usually makes impact on top games, scored against chelsea, city, arsenal, liverpool, tottenham this season. Although it looks like he's doing nothing his finishing is top notch, he manages to take most of his relatively few chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)

RvP goes missing? Come on man.

See: Pretty much every single game v the best PL teams.

He did well imo. He didn't have a storming game. but he held the ball up well in a formation that was skewed towards wide play as Welbeck is no Rooney or Kagawa, was put into a different role than usual as he was more of a middle man than usual, distributed it well when he had the chance etc.

Would like to see more of Hernandez though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    He had a few half chances, he got back a lot as well. I can't remember how many times I heard "Van Persie clears" or "Ven Persie heads it out" which is what he needed to do in that game.

I don't think he goes missing in the big games, there have been loads of times this season his goals have won us games.

ReputationRep:
    Van Persie's record against teams in the top 6 since the beginning of last season:

11/12: 11 games 7 goals 2 assists (4 goals in away games)
    Man City: 3 games 0 goals 0 assists
    Man United: 2 games 2 goals 0 assists (1 away goal)
    Spurs 2 games 1 goal 1 assist
    Newcastle: 2 games 1 goal 1 assist
    Chelsea: 2 games 3 goals 0 assists (3 away goals)

12/13: 7 games 5 goals 3 assists (3 away goals, 1 away assist in 4 away games)
    Man City: 1 game 1 goal (1 away goal)
    Spurs: 2 games 1 goal 1 assist (1 away goal)
    Chelsea: 1 games 1 goal 1 assist (1 away goal, 1 away assist)
    Arsenal: 1 game 1 goal
    Everton: 2 games 1 goal 1 assist

Just guessing but I think only Rooney has a better record in the same time frame. I might dig it up a bit later.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21700295

Ferdinand will face no action from UEFA after sarcastically clapping the referee to his face. To be honest, when I first saw him do that live, I thought that he would be in trouble. He's lucky that he got away with that.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at you guys thinking Rooney is better than Suarez. Van Persie maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wayne Rooney

11/12: 11 games 10 goals 2 assists (5 goals in away games)
    Man City: 3 games 2 goals 0 assists (2 away goals)
    Arsenal: 2 games 3 goals 1 assists
    Spurs: 2 games 2 goal 0 assists (1 away goal)
    Newcastle: 2 games 0 goal 1 assist
    Chelsea: 2 games 3 goals 0 assists (2 away goals)

12/13: 7 games 2 goals 2 assists (2 away goals in 4 away games)
    Man City: 1 game 2 goals (2 away goal)
    Spurs: 2 games 0 goal 1 assist
    Chelsea: 1 games 0 goals 0 assists
    Arsenal: 1 game 0 goals 1 assist
    Everton: 2 games 0 goal 0 assist

Rooney total: 18 games 12 goals 4 assists. (7 goals in away games)

RVP total: 18 games 12 goals 5 assists 0 penalties (7 goals and 1 assist in away games)

So I was wrong. RVP has a marginally better record in 'big games' due to one more assist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Lol at you guys thinking Rooney is better than Suarez. Van Persie maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm going to go ahead and wait for any evidence you have to support the fact Suarez is so clearly better in your mind.

Not that it will come, mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    I'm going to go ahead and wait for any evidence you have to support the fact Suarez is so clearly better in your mind.

Not that it will come, mind.
    He'll probably mention Suarez's 21 premier league goals to Rooney's 11. As if one season is anything to go by. Rooney hasn't been playing as high up as last season anyway so there's no point having a goal comparison between the 2 players.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Other way around. We played Bayern away midweek, then Chelsea that Saturday and then Bayern at home on the Tuesday. Rooney got hurt in the first leg and was out of the Chelsea game so we ended up playing Berba up top on his own against Chelsea which was never gonna work. Then Fergie rushed Rooney back for the 2nd leg as a surprise and he ended up getting re-injured again soon after. Two Fergie mistakes in such quick succession, very surprising!
    Ah yes, cheers for that. The more I think about the Berbatov days, the more I think that, as much as I loved him, he was a bit of a waste (well, more than a bit). He didn't flop but the fact that we could never really rely on his style of play in the big games was a major, major drawback. We should never have had to rush back Rooney for that second leg but we had no other choice.

(Original post by doggyfizzel)
    All those players are arguably better or as good goalscorers, none of them are as good playermakers and strikers. As a complete package, I don't think you could find a better player for that money. Quite frankly I can't think of a player you could buy who is as good as a striker, a number 10, and AM, and has the defensive work rate and ability to play as a midfielder.

I think English players are often over priced, but I don't think Rooney for £40m is overpriced, and quite frankly we would probably want £50m. Who are we going to replace him with who can do the same job. Even RVP, as good a striker as he is, cannot dictate a game like Rooney can.

Like a lot of player, he worth more to us than his market value actually is.

Its bull**** anyway, people were saying long before if started on the bench the Rooney to leave rumours would come out.
    Pretty much this. Rooney, when on form, is absolutely quality, one of the most complete players in world football. It's very difficult to compare him to anyone, really. I still feel that he's the most underrated English player in recent times - fairly (never really done it for England bar Euro 2004) and unfairly (he's been surrounded by a largely ****/unbalanced team). Still, I think the saddest thing with the English/British is we never build up our players, there's just so much cynicism around - some for good reason, some blinded by club tribalism. It's taken years for people to accept that Bale is really ****ing good, if he was Spanish people would have accepted it about 3 years ago. I wonder if there's this same cynicism in, say, Italy and Spain with their talents?

As for Rooney, sadly his ability to go past a man has declined in his quest to become complete and, also sadly, that is how most casual observers determine how good a player is/player x is better than player y. Let's see how Suarez does when he's at a bigger club/surrounded by quality, on current form he is as good, if not better (I don't think so, I think he's just easier on the eye), than Rooney. It's worth saying that that value of £22m was two years ago and bearing in mind the league he came from. He'd go for considerably more now.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would take anything in excess of £30M right now for Rooney considering his age and his salary, provided that the money is well spent across the squad. SAF is not known to give in to player demands and it was quite uncharacteristic of him to give in to Rooney two years ago. IMO The reasoning behind it was that we had already lost big players Ronaldo and Tevez and it would not have looked good for the club if another big-name player was sold off and would have severely impacted United's reputation/stature (basically done an Arsenal).
    However, SAF normally wins in these situations and I strongly feel that SAF will make a tactical decision and Rooney will be sold this summer considering he has only two year left on his contract and it would be the best time to capitalise on his high value.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ace123)
    it really is ridiculous that Ferguson could be punished for not talking to the press surely this must violate some law UEFA should not be able to force someone against their wishes to make a statement
    It doesn't violate any law. Man Utd make the choice to enter UEFA's competition, no one is forcing them to do that. If SAF doesn't want to obey the rules UEFA set down then fine, don't take part in the competition then, simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 122025278)
    It doesn't violate any law. Man Utd make the choice to enter UEFA's competition, no one is forcing them to do that. If SAF doesn't want to obey the rules UEFA set down then fine, don't take part in the competition then, simple.
    I don't think the law works like that. Its not an opt in opt out system. I would imagine they would struggle to punish him for missing one interview. If he refused multiple times to honour commitments, but a one off I imagine they would be violating some EU law on personal rights. He did send someone in his place too.

ReputationRep:
    We've given into Keane's demands before when he flirted with Juventus, and made him the highest paid player in the history of English football. So it isn't something new.

The Rooney salary thing is a load of crap. He's on between 150-200k a week which is on the same pay scale as Carlos Tevez, Yaya Toure and Sergio Aguero. How many players of Rooney's quality and reputation, and have played in the Champions League this season are earning less than that?

Kaka's on the same amount and he's been sat on his arse for most his time at Madrid. Sneijder's been picking up the same kind of salary during his time at Inter. Ibrahimovic has been earning an obscene amount ever since his move from Inter to Barcelona - which was one of the reasons AC Milan had to get rid. Bayern have a similar wage bill to us, and Ribery will be earning upwards of 150k a week with Robben pretty close.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the law works like that. Its not an opt in opt out system. I would imagine they would struggle to punish him for missing one interview. If he refused multiple times to honour commitments, but a one off I imagine they would be violating some EU law on personal rights. He did send someone in his place too.
    Actually the law does work like that. There are contractual agreements. Man Utd have agreed to take part in UEFA's competition. If one of the conditions is not satisfied they can be punished.

You're making a crucial mistake. This isn't punishment handed down from a court, it's punishment that Man Utd have agreed to accept. Man Utd could quite easily disregard any punishment UEFA impose but then Man Utd would not be allowed to enter the competition next year. It's extremely simple.

In reality though, even if Man Utd were content with expulsion form furture competitions by UEFA they most likely would still be liable for any punishments UEFA impose due to contractual obligations the club will have agreed to.

ReputationRep:
    UEFA took 3 weeks to take a decision on whether to start proceedings against Serbia for racially abusing English players. They took just 20 hrs to start proceeding against United.

Interesting fact, the ref is on twitter and the 2 clubs outside of turkey he follows are madrid and barca

ReputationRep:
    He did send someone in his place too.
    I'm sure in the post match analysis and SAF not being in the press conference (might have been on SS2 after the Dortmund game when they switched to the United/Madrid match) they showed a sentence from the UEFA guidelines that a manager or coach has to go the press conference.

If that is correct, then there shouldn't be a problem. I imagine UEFA are probably upset he didn't show because he would have provided some entertainment value and probably said something that would have resulted him in paying a fine to the ever so "poor" UEFA and their piggy-bank.

Just checking this and it appears managers have to attend although it's ludicrous. As long as someone from the coaching staff is there and a reprensentative then don't see the issue.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.