The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mess.
He was correct in that it should have been a sending off judging by European competition and foreign ref standards. And United didn't need to go all out defend but they did need to collect and compose themselves. I think if United had held out for 10 minutes they would have won that game pretty comfortably even with 10 men.

In that chaotic ten minutes after the sending off, Mourinho was more quicker to react. Modric's substitution was a changing point and he influenced the game with the space he got due to Carrick not playing ahead of the defence. Abit far-fetched to say we would have won comfortably with 10 men - possibly if Luka hadn't come on but think we might have just fell short.
Original post by Mess.
He was correct in that it should have been a sending off judging by European competition and foreign ref standards. And United didn't need to go all out defend but they did need to collect and compose themselves. I think if United had held out for 10 minutes they would have won that game pretty comfortably even with 10 men.
People say this but the general response, even in Spain was that it wasn't a sending off. It certainly was a soft red card, I made my thoughts clear at the time. That said, it was in the following minutes that the game was lost. That is partly SAF's fault, where as he went nuts as did the team, Jose stayed calm and so did Madrid and capitalised on the uncertainty that followed.

Nice to see Hernandez get some game time. I feel bad for him, his goalscoring this season has been good this season, he's just been unfortunate.
What happened to Wayne Rooney's Pace? It's shocking when you compared him to the speedy rooney we knew, he got the ball and nobody pressured him but he still couldn't run... he looks like a fat slob that just oozes natural class... I wonder if it's his dad's fat genes slowing him down or those beers and burgers.
Reply 1923
Original post by doggyfizzel
People say this but the general response, even in Spain was that it wasn't a sending off. It certainly was a soft red card, I made my thoughts clear at the time. That said, it was in the following minutes that the game was lost. That is partly SAF's fault, where as he went nuts as did the team, Jose stayed calm and so did Madrid and capitalised on the uncertainty that followed.

Quite easy to stay calm when it's your team that has benefited though :tongue:
All the big teams are left to play in the league and a few of the relegation strugglers. Man City are not out of the league by any means.
Sell Valencia please.
That performance from Valencia was dire. I cringed every time he touched the ball.
Valencia had 56% pass accuracy

:laugh:
Giving him the number 7 jersey to Valencia seems like a noose round his neck. He wanted it and is horribly not doing it justice.

Zaha is going to be an ideal replacement for Valencia than Nani atm.

Another match but expected given Tuesday's events.
Reply 1929
United caught out by the better team today, Chelsea shouldve definitely won.
Original post by Cringe
United caught out by the better team today, Chelsea shouldve definitely won.

Not really.

United owned the first half and could have gone 3-0 up multiple times.

Chelsea did the same in the second half and could have got 3 goals multiple times.
I thought in the first half we were excellent. Dictated play and serevely limited Chelsea's chances. I couldn't really find anyone to pick that was at fault.

The second half was dreadful. Valencia did nothing but squander passages of play. As soon as Chelsea got a second, I thought this will be a draw or a Chelsea win. We just couldn't seem to make any chances anymore. Very very poor second half performance.
Looks like Valencia could be the one to go from our wingers, Nani looking good now and Young won't be sold. Zaha gonna replace him as well, box-to-box midfielder in summer please SAF. Shocking performance in 2nd half, looked very lethargic.
Reply 1933
If we gave someone only the first half to watch and asked them who they thought would win the match, they would have said Man Utd.

If we gave someone only the second half to watch and asked them who they thought would win the match, they would have said Chelsea.
City. I didn't see that coming.
terrible semi final draw... beat chelsea, to play city in the next round..
The signs were there at the end of the first half with Chelsea having more of the ball and they continued it whilst we dropped off. Nani going off changed our attacking intentions from the right as Valencia was absolute cack.

Manchester semi-final possible if we get through.
Playing City if we win :laugh

Of ****ing course

Whats that , 9 PL teams in a row now?
Original post by andypandy11
All the big teams are left to play in the league and a few of the relegation strugglers. Man City are not out of the league by any means.
What on earth does the league have to do with an FA cup game? There are 9 games left in the league, and Man City required United to lose 4 of them and not drop any points themselves, and get ahead on GD. They still have Everton, Newcastle, United, West Brom, Tottenham, and Swansea. They aren't mathematically out of it, but it is going to take a meltdown by United and a unblemished run by City. It certainly going to take more than 1 result in a different competition before people start worrying.

Latest