Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which unis have policies on piercing/ tats/ hair colour etc. Because after interviews are over I'd really like a nose piercing but there's no point getting one if you have to take it out? Or is it an NHS thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    Which unis have policies on piercing/ tats/ hair colour etc. Because after interviews are over I'd really like a nose piercing but there's no point getting one if you have to take it out? Or is it an NHS thing?
    Did you ever watch University Challenge where the UCL team captain was a med student and he had bright purple back-combed hair? xD
    I think whilst you're in pre-clinical years it's fine, but once you start seeing patient / start clinical years, the trust sets its own policies so you'd have to adhere to that.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Edit: I think all unis will probably have some guidelines for how you should present yourself but they'll probably just be vague and I think the St Andrews one just specifies how you should look when you come into contact with patients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TattyBoJangles)
    Did you ever watch University Challenge where the UCL team captain was a med student and he had bright purple back-combed hair? xD
    I think whilst you're in pre-clinical years it's fine, but once you start seeing patient / start clinical years, the trust sets its own policies so you'd have to adhere to that.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, though.
    Well done on your offer! so Jealous and thank you I just remember when my friend got into Newcastle last year they sent her a list of all the things they couldn't do including unnatural hair colours.

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your offer! so Jealous and thank you I just remember when my friend got into Newcastle last year they sent her a list of all the things they couldn't do including unnatural hair colours.
    Thank you! I wouldn't be too jealous though, I've had to take a gap year to get it!

Ah, I see - in that case it's probably covered under the uni's dress policy. It may vary slightly depending on how early on you see patients?
    If it's a piercing you want, you'll probably be asked to remove it, but that's the good thing about piercings - they can be removed easily.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I've done a bit of googling into this and most NHS trusts have similar guidelines, no tattoos which are visible should be excessive or offensive. Hair should be clean, presentable and off the collar (nothing specific said about colours, but you've got to assume they would want you to still look professional). The main issue with piercings is that they are a risk of infection and could be deemed as unprofessional.

I want to do Nursing, so the way I'm planning on getting round it is by always keeping my hair neat and tied up when on placement and getting my nose pierced but keeping a retainer I'm on placement. I'm also not going to go crazy with my hair colour. I have quite a few tattoos but none are visible when I would have uniform on, although I did get shown round on an open day by a nurse with full sleeve tattoos.

ReputationRep:
    Doubt anyone will care about a nose piercing (we're not talking about a septum or bridge piercing, are we?), whether at uni or on placements.

Really brash hair/very obvious tattoos may result in you being told to sort it out though - ultimately you do need to look professional.

Basically, you have to bear in mind that a lot of the patients you will be seeing will be the same age as your grandparents (or older) and they will expect you to appear "doctorly" - even if you're actually still a student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Doubt anyone will care about a nose piercing (we're not talking about a septum or bridge piercing, are we?), whether at uni or on placements.

Really brash hair/very obvious tattoos may result in you being told to sort it out though - ultimately you do need to look professional.

Basically, you have to bear in mind that a lot of the patients you will be seeing will be the same age as your grandparents (or older) and they will expect you to appear "doctorly" - even if you're actually still a student.
    Nahhh I just want a normal little stud and maybe dying my hair tinted red/ ginger but nothing over the top. Do you think they'll mind?

ReputationRep:
    Nahhh I just want a normal little stud and maybe dying my hair tinted red/ ginger but nothing over the top. Do you think they'll mind?
    That'll be fine, there's a girl in my year who's gone from dark brown to dirty blonde to mousy brown in the space of about four weeks - no one batted an eyelid

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you are, each uni has its own rules. I had red hair in my first year (but only small parts under my hair if that makes sense - it wasn't on the top (that way never had to worry about roots )), during hospital time I'd always tie it up so you couldn't see it. I think you'll be absolutely fine during pre-clinical years but its the clinical years where you'll spend most of your time in hospital so obviously no piercings/red hair. But yes, go for it (I did it after I got in mwhaha).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.