Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you buy clothes off Ebay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Have anyone bought clothes off ebay? I've found a jacket I really like on ebay but I've never bought anything from it so feel a bit apprehensive..

ReputationRep:
    you can but just be careful of the buyers reputation...it's usually all very secure and reliable though

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I have bought it if your worries pm me the link I can help you . Been with eBay and PayPal for 7 years

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heywhatsup)
    I have bought it if your worries pm me the link I can help you . Been with eBay and PayPal for 7 years

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is it safe to order things from buyers quite far away like china? Do items often get lost in the post or anything?

ReputationRep:
    There's honestly more choice on eBay than any other store I find. The stuff there is also cheap. So if you're after cheap clothes and not too bothered about durability then it's great. Remember to buy off someone with 99%+ and 1000+ reputation.

If you're worried about buying off foreign countries, then you can always set it to UK only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meh12)
    Is it safe to order things from buyers quite far away like china? Do items often get lost in the post or anything?

Again, there can always be a risk when buying with Ebay. Make sure item is eligible under buyer protection, that way if it was to get lost then you can dispute a case. It'll just take long from china for the item to get back to you, atleast 3 weeks at minimum so no need to freak out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    Stuff shipped from china over ebay is usually not great in my opinion, it's generally cheap quality bargain priced stuff.
    And it ****ing takes 30 days to actually ship.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I have, mostly when something I like isn't in stock anymore I look on Ebay to see if anyone is selling it on there

ReputationRep:
    I've bought quite a few things. It's awesome for suits, I'm a pretty standard size and I've got >£200 suits for £40

ReputationRep:
    Not from the Chinese companies i wouldn't, my sister ordered a phone case about a year ago and it still hasn't come to this date

If you don't like the clothes also afterwards, and you want to return them, if you can, you have to pay for delivery charge again, and go line up at the post office and send it back .... far too much hassle for me personally, but apparently you can get some really nice vintage pieces on there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meh12)
    you can but just be careful of the buyers reputation...it's usually all very secure and reliable though

I was thinking of getting this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Slim-...item5650162961

he's got 98.6% positive feeback..good enough?

ReputationRep:
    I often do! It's great for finding bargains and tracking down out of stock and vintage items.

However, I do agree that some items (particularly from cheap Chinese firms) are nowhere near as nice as they appear in the pictures (think of a McDonald's big mac, advert and reality :p:) so I usually only buy brands I know and like. Always check the seller's location, feedback and returns policy.

ReputationRep:
    hellz a yea the jeans i'm wearing right now are from ebay. One thing I would say is you can buy nice stuff but don't try and buy BAIT nice stuff such as a bape watch or something as there are a lot of fakes.

If you're really cautious just message them and only buy if they have the original receipt.

Happy safe buying!

ReputationRep:
    i tried to buy a pair of boots that i like from ebay and for some reason they wouldn't accept my payment, so annoying. my friend had used it loads though and has no bad experiences.

ReputationRep:
    i use ebay all the time for clothing. you can get seriously good deals, as long as work the system a bit.
    look for auctions that are poorly listed or sold in bundles.
    look for auctions that end very late at night or very early in the morning, which typically go unnoticed.

anything from china WILL be fake. no exceptions. rule of thumb; filter by UK sellers. anything from "Gucci" or "Armani" that you buy from abroad will be fake and likely seized by customs.

oh and get paypal up and running as soon as, and never use any other method of payment. it's quick, easy, and vital for refunds.

ReputationRep:
    Echoing the advice above, make sure you only purchase with a seller who has excellent reputation (99%+). I bought a duffle jacket (should have been £100) for £40 and it's great quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmcookies)
    I was thinking of getting this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Slim-...item5650162961

he's got 98.6% positive feeback..good enough?

Looks ok just make sure you give your right size, after all its a pain for a return back to China! And expect the wait you should be ok!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely, I've bought quite a few things. Only buy from the UK though, personally, and make sure the seller's got at least 99% positive feedback.

ReputationRep:
    I bought my prom dress off eBay.

As others have said, it's cool if you make sure the seller is reliable (98-100% positive feedback). Check their policy on refunds and check the sizes to see if they're the same as standard measurements as they're often not.

If you do all this, I think the main risk is just not getting exactly what you expected as pictures may be misleading e.g. different colour or a different texture to the material. The more product information there is for you to look at, the more likely you are to be satisfied, I find.

ReputationRep:
    I've bought hoodies and stuff, but I wouldn't spend more than about 30 quid. If I'm spending more than that then I wanna try the thing on first.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.