Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else revising on new years night? #commitment Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I am...
    But its okay because I'm revising math

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Ah nice! great choice, for what course btw I'm thinking of mathematics I'm sure you'll pull through, there's only a certain amount they can ask you.
    Computer Science MSc, 4 solid years none of that year in industry or year abroad stuff, learning Japanese too (1 lesson a week) so by the time I graduate I should be good enough at it to go live over there, can't stand England.

Mathematics is awesome, the uni level papers is mostly worded and it looks so complex, really rewarding if you can do it probably!

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/...aperIII_16.pdf

(an example)

ReputationRep:
    Not started work on my university essays yet. Maybe I will tomorrow. No exams as did them before Christmas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverse)
    Computer Science MSc, 4 solid years none of that year in industry or year abroad stuff, learning Japanese too (1 lesson a week) so by the time I graduate I should be good enough at it to go live over there, can't stand England.

Mathematics is awesome, the uni level papers is mostly worded and it looks so complex, really rewarding if you can do it probably!

http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/...aperIII_16.pdf

(an example)
    Greater course I was interested in computer sci at gcse, but now I've swayed more towards maths than computing and science.
    Wow thats really cool also I don't really like (London) at least, I want to move elsewhere, Tokyo is a really cool place for technology, gaming etc, and I just love how Japan is, its just so much better than the same old here.

Lastly wow just wow! Maybe in two years I can come back and say yeah I know how to do that, would be truly amazing, it looks completely different to alevel! which is fun and exciting nevertheless! Also both our degrees are very employable which is a plus!

ReputationRep:
    Greater course I was interested in computer sci at gcse, but now I've swayed more towards maths than computing and science.
    Wow thats really cool also I don't really like (London) at least, I want to move elsewhere, Tokyo is a really cool place for technology, gaming etc, and I just love how Japan is, its just so much better than the same old here.

Lastly wow just wow! Maybe in two years I can come back and say yeah I know how to do that, would be truly amazing, it looks completely different to alevel! which is fun and exciting nevertheless! Also both our degrees are very employable which is a plus!
    I'd want to live in Kyoto and commute to Tokyo, I really love the look of Kyoto

Well, it's post-grad maths so maybe a bit more than 2 years!

ReputationRep:
    I'd want to live in Kyoto and commute to Tokyo, I really love the look of Kyoto

Well, it's post-grad maths so maybe a bit more than 2 years!
    *sigh of relief* that looks so tough!

Ah never heard of Kyoto! is that less-city like than Tokyo? Might look into that a bit actually!

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I am going out later to a church service though.

Hopefully I'll get this done tonight so that I don't have to look at it again tomorrow... :work:

ReputationRep:
    *sigh of relief* that looks so tough!

Ah never heard of Kyoto! is that less-city like than Tokyo? Might look into that a bit actually!

All of the above are pics of Kyoto ^

It's less city-like and has really nice areas of natural beauty :yep:

ReputationRep:

All of the above are pics of Kyoto ^

It's less city-like and has really nice areas of natural beauty :yep:
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I have to visit there in the future! That looks flipping amazing, so peaceful and tranquil! I have to go there to experience it so I wont forget about this!

ReputationRep:
    WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I have to visit there in the future! That looks flipping amazing, so peaceful and tranquil! I have to go there to experience it so I wont forget about this!
    Not just that, Japan is pretty small, but in the northern parts you can go skiing and it snows everywhere, and in the southern parts it's really hot, so there's pretty much everything there

Also since Japanese uses some chinese characters in one of the 3 languages, you could probably learn the language and mandarin/cantonese alongside it more easily. win win haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaritymolecule)
    I really hate new years and Christmas. Christmas- why celebrate a non existent persons birthday? New years- why celebrate a new year? What is there to celebrate? It just like any other day. I hate it.
    What a positive outlook you have on life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dr-jimmy)
    You're right, but that day doesn't necessarily have to be Christmas or New Years. When those things don't really matter to you it can be any day. With exams in January now would be bad timing to go out and get pissed.
    lol one night out is not going to impact on your grades. I went on a night out two nights before one of my a2 exams and still got an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecookiemonster)
    What a positive outlook you have on life...
    Lol, I was in a bad mood, mum just shouted at me before I typed that

ReputationRep:
    Not just that, Japan is pretty small, but in the northern parts you can go skiing and it snows everywhere, and in the southern parts it's really hot, so there's pretty much everything there

Also since Japanese uses some chinese characters in one of the 3 languages, you could probably learn the language and mandarin/cantonese alongside it more easily. win win haha
    Wow so you can pretty much see 2 seasons at once depending on where you visit, I really like the view though, my parents in England took me to random hills in Europe and said look at the view, but seriously this is what it is about Kyoto.

ReputationRep:
    Wow so you can pretty much see 2 seasons at once depending on where you visit, I really like the view though, my parents in England took me to random hills in Europe and said look at the view, but seriously this is what it is about Kyoto.
    Haha I'm 0% english surprisingly, even though I sound English, maybe show your parents photos of that and they'll take you there :P

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm watching FOX News, watching the countdown to the fiscal cliff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GooglyEyedMonster)
    I'm too scared to work out how much in terms of number of words due :dong: Good luck!

Do you do some sort of English/Classics degree? (this is where I guess completely wrong....)

I'm currently staring blankly at my dissertation ... must.write.literature.review.soo n.

I feel you on the sorting out future. I've applied to 4 grad jobs, 2 more to fill in the application for and I have applied to 2 of the 8 PhD's I want to do. Why can't these people be nice and use a uniform application form!? Do final years not have enough to do already!?
    Haha, no, you're not wrong at all I do a Comparative Literature degree. It's basically the same as an English Literature degree but it's got a big focus on foreign texts, not just English ones... so I read a lot of French, Russian, German etc. literature as well. And it's about a comparison of the different cultures, how the way the text is from a different culture affects the way a theme is interpreted, issues of translation and stuff like that. Basically just means that every essay requires 3x as much work because we have to talk about 3x books, authors, cultures rather than just the one!

You're far more ahead than I am! I haven't done ANYTHING for after graduation. I know what I want to do though... I need a year's experience in the field before I can apply for a Masters so I just need to apply to intern with a bunch of places over the following year, which should, hopefully, be a bit easier than trying to get a grad job. I expect it will be unpaid... Don't have many choices for the MSc, so that narrows things down... I'll possibly look at grad jobs over the year in case I change my mind though.

We'll get through this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecookiemonster)
    lol one night out is not going to impact on your grades. I went on a night out two nights before one of my a2 exams and still got an A
    Think you missed the point a bit? I said one night out wouldn't affect your grades, but it doesn't have to be christmas/new year when you have a night out. I've been out too much already this week to waste more time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beffnee)
    Haha, no, you're not wrong at all I do a Comparative Literature degree. It's basically the same as an English Literature degree but it's got a big focus on foreign texts, not just English ones... so I read a lot of French, Russian, German etc. literature as well. And it's about a comparison of the different cultures, how the way the text is from a different culture affects the way a theme is interpreted, issues of translation and stuff like that. Basically just means that every essay requires 3x as much work because we have to talk about 3x books, authors, cultures rather than just the one!

You're far more ahead than I am! I haven't done ANYTHING for after graduation. I know what I want to do though... I need a year's experience in the field before I can apply for a Masters so I just need to apply to intern with a bunch of places over the following year, which should, hopefully, be a bit easier than trying to get a grad job. I expect it will be unpaid... Don't have many choices for the MSc, so that narrows things down... I'll possibly look at grad jobs over the year in case I change my mind though.

We'll get through this
    Woah ... that sounds ... erm ... well ... a nightmare in my eyes! Reading in English and German okay, but that is as far as I go! And comparing them :eek: I was not the strongest at English, only just scraped an A* at GCSE due to my creative writing piece about rape. Random I know! What Uni are you at?

I'm a physical science student so I have to be prepared :P Plus all the deadlines fall in January. Ideally want to do a PhD. Can't afford a masters, the traditional route to take before a PhD, so I'm applying for direct entry - which will probably fail! Grad jobs are a back up ... but we will see. I hate the uncertainty, but living with an OAP and not being the wealthiest puts me at a big disadvantage for PG study, especially now the fees are going up again!

I couldn't imagine doing a year unpaid, how will you live?! Grad jobs are great if you can get one, they are notoriously hard to get into due to the competition. Well at least they are in sciences and law, can't comment on others!

I've written a further 300 words of dissertation in the past hour, pretty good going .... Its just taking me closer and closer to the methodology and data interpretation. You would think I could do it being half a mathematician for my degree but I can't do simple maths anymore, its pretty scary! I couldn't even do 7x4 in my head Uni maths ruins your useful math brain ... and my stats brain!!
    • TSR Support Team

I applaud your comittement, I really do

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.