Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sending a new years text to someone you fancy Watch

ReputationRep:
    A bit too much over-thinking I think! If you want a conversation, strike up a txt asking how they are and if they had a good new year. Life will be much simpler if you don't worry about the small things! The development of relationships et al are natural, not military operations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucia.)
    I always think it's a bad idea to tell a guy straight out that you really like him (I mean that you want him to be your boyfriend, not simply that you see potential in him). It's best not to vocalise how you feel until there's reciprocation. It's just awkward because it leaves no mystery for the guy. I know from my past naivety. You have to be a challenge in some way. And it's not something you have to do because flirting with him will tell him that you like him.

I think the rule is, if it won't make anything worse, go ahead and do it. But if it's unlikely to make it any better either, I would hold back. Simply saying "Happy New Year" is enough of an expression of interest. Try and tie a guy by being explicit and he'll want to run as far away as possible. Being a bit coy pays off. Keep it short and sweet.
    Yeah. It's hard to explain.

I didn't like her anyway. But even if I did, it would make the situation not as good, in an illogical way. It's definitely not the optimal way.

I'd say it's even worse to tell a girl you like her directly.

On a related subject, I sent the guy I like a happy new year text, and he replied with

"you too, nice group text!"

Does that mean:
    a) He thought it was a nice text
    b) He's trying to find out if it was a group text or one specific to him
    c) He's annoyed that he just got sent a group one
    d) Something else?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooEasy123)
    Yeah. It's hard to explain.

I didn't like her anyway. But even if I did, it would make the situation not as good, in an illogical way. It's definitely not the optimal way.

I'd say it's even worse to tell a girl you like her directly.
    Yeah I totally get it. One of the things I find hardest is acting like a challenge to a guy. I tend to wear my heart on my sleeve with regards to whether I like them or not and I tend to say what I think. Maybe unconsciously a girl can get across that she's too into a guy. I try not to but it's one of those things you have to learn. It's hard to know how to show enough interest that the guy doesn't think you're playing games, but not go over the edge and seem over-invested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twoforjoy)
    Sorry I'm not answering your question, but your use of 'aka' is winding me right up.

AKA = also known as

so your use "when to send it-aka at midnight or just sometime during the day", does not work.

'When to send it - also known as midnight...'

Using 'i.e.' would be better - 'When to send it - i.e. at midnight...' - 'When to send it - in explanation at midnight'
    FYI, 'i.e.' stands for "id est"/"that is", not "in explanation", and you're looking for 'e.g.' anyway. For example: "when to send it, e.g., at midnight or some time during the day".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    On a related subject, I sent the guy I like a happy new year text, and he replied with

"you too, nice group text!"

Does that mean:
    a) He thought it was a nice text
    b) He's trying to find out if it was a group text or one specific to him
    c) He's annoyed that he just got sent a group one
    d) Something else?

Thanks
    Was the text just 'happy new year'?

(Original post by ForKicks)
    Was the text just 'happy new year'?
    No. It was "Happy New Year. May 2013 bring you all you ever wanted Xx"

Yeah I'm a sucker... :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:

The reason he said 'nice group text', is because it sounded like an impersonal text you send to everyone on your contact list. On the plus side, you now have an entrance to a proper conversation! So laugh it off and make it personal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliakhan)
    In islam we are not supposed to date..hence the reason why many muslims have an arranged marriage...also ur point on who does the chasin ..well i would like it if the guy did the chasing...the advice from my best friend was to just dpeak to the guy and not express my feelings...now how am i meant to do that?
    say "when our nikah" lmao nah seriously speak to him, say whats up talk to him , etc see if hes with someone etc.

ReputationRep:

lmaooo send a text back " may 2013 be a happy year for you...... add his name, and say that " this was specifically for you with 3 kisses" add 3 kisses.xxx at the bottom. then wait for his next reply. usually with groups text i dont bother replying , he did so make it personal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliakhan)
    Hey...i totally understand what ur goin through..i like this guy in college and have spoken to him as he is in my law lessons..but i cant bring myslef to say it to him...i usually cath him looking at me in lesson..and sometimes i usually catch his eye when he looks at me..lol..

But hey i think maybe u shud spwak to the guy...he may be really busy due to the holidays...so i dont think he will mind if u rext him first...i actually think its kinda cute.that u wanna wish him happy new year...are u going out with the guy?...if not and u want to..maybe u shud ask the guy out ..be direct and dont be afraid of denial... Im guessing the guy likes u soo maybe u shud both go out...?...who knows ...it might work out?....good luck...x
    Alia Khan? You Muslim? Hope your family don't find about this. I feel sorry for the guy you could get him in trouble if you get found out.

ReputationRep:
    I could only bring myself to send a text asking someone if they wanted to date if I could guarantee that the other person fancied me too haa

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.