Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Please see attatched
    Attached Images

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    For the E-Z isomerism you take the biggest group on opposite ends of the double bond. So on the left hand side in the drawing, it'd be the methyl and on the right side it'd be the ethyl. So it's the E-isomer.

ReputationRep:
    Z stereo isomerism

Edited: person above said E but I don't know why?
    The same alkyl group is on two different carbon atoms and on the same side so why not
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loknath)
    Z stereo isomerism

The same alkyl group is on two different carbon atoms and on the same side so why not
    As I've said, with the drawing as it is above, the bigger group by molecular weight on the left of the double bond is the methyl, and on the right it's the ethyl group.
    E-Z isomerism is determined by the molecular weights of the substituent groups on each end of the double bond, so in this case we consider the methyl on the left and the ethyl on the right. Mexican accent, Es opposite, they're opposite hence it's the E-isomer.

Yes, I do remember E-Z via a mexican accent and a german accent (on ze zame zide).

edit: I've put it through Chemsketch to generate the name, and that confirms that it's the E-isomer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    For the E-Z isomerism you take the biggest group on opposite ends of the double bond. So on the left hand side in the drawing, it'd be the methyl and on the right side it'd be the ethyl. So it's the E-isomer.

(Original post by loknath)
    Z stereo isomerism

Hey thanks completely forgot the stuff about molecular weight. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
    As I've said, with the drawing as it is above, the bigger group by molecular weight on the left of the double bond is the methyl, and on the right it's the ethyl group.
    E-Z isomerism is determined by the molecular weights of the substituent groups on each end of the double bond, so in this case we consider the methyl on the left and the ethyl on the right. Mexican accent, Es opposite, they're opposite hence it's the E-isomer.

Yes, I do remember E-Z via a mexican accent and a german accent (on ze zame zide).

edit: I've put it through Chemsketch to generate the name, and that confirms that it's the E-isomer.

Thanks - that clears my confusion
    And sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CasualSoul)
    Please see attatched
    Definitely E

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.