Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can we expect at least one or more mass shootings in the US to occur in 2013? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

So far, nothing has been done to try to fix the problem (and this is not simply to do with anti-gun legislation, because that alone will not solve it - a change in attitude towards guns will also greatly help).

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will be done that is radical to make a difference, as ever the assailant was given huge media coverage and elevated to the level of an antichrist which will only act as fuel to other mentally disturbed people to go out in a blaze of power. Its a sad thing to admit, that if it happens again it will be very distressing, but it won't be a surprise.

ReputationRep:
    probably, has there ever been a year when there wasn't a mass shooting?

ReputationRep:
    I think that it's more likely to happen if they introduce gun control. 'Murica like derr guns.

ReputationRep:
    People ignore the amount of shootings in the US regardless of mass or not. Its enormous, mass shootings grab the headlines small ones are never heard of.

ReputationRep:
    id be surprised if there wasant although i doubt anything to the degree of the recent school shooting, when you give assault rifles to your citizens [half of whom appear to be mentally subnormal anyway] of course this is going to happen over and over again...

ReputationRep:
    Yes. And another one, and another one, and another. And lots of people will die while they endlessly debate the issue, never getting anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    id be surprised if there wasant although i doubt anything to the degree of the recent school shooting, when you give assault rifles to your citizens [half of whom appear to be mentally subnormal anyway] of course this is going to happen over and over again...
    That's true - I'd be surprised too. I would *almost* be drawn to suspect that the 'Muricans had actually reflected and learnt something - almost.

ReputationRep:
    Whether legislation on the issue would have an effect or not, I don't think that such an initiative would pick up much speed to be honest. Americans are too precious about their constitution and their rights to see that some of it is rather outdated and irrelevant. Only the third Amendment to the Bill of Rights states that soldiers will not be quartered in citizens' houses without the homeowner's consent.

ReputationRep:
    That would depend on what you class as a "mass shooting". Of course, many things happen that are never reported in the media because they're not sensational enough, so there's a chance we'd just never find out about a lot of mass shootings that occur. For example I imagine gangs shoot each other all the time and it just gets ignored, but when something happens like the school shooting that's something that will appeal to the emotions of a lot of people, so it makes a much better story. Sadly, that's how the media works; making money out of the worst situations.

ReputationRep:
    It seems we've had one already, unless this was the previous Saturday. And in the same place in Colorado!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20923201

But, are four people enough to be classed as mass?

ReputationRep:
    Aye there will be a 'mass' shooting at some point this year no doubt. If not then it won't make up for all the shooting of fewer people that take place.

ReputationRep:
    Statistically, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    It seems we've had one already, unless this was the previous Saturday. And in the same place in Colorado!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20923201

But, are four people enough to be classed as mass?
    Probably not, by America's standards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Probably not, by America's standards
    It's such a shame that more than twenty five people have to die before anyone takes any notice. And even then, despite what's been said, I doubt how much will actually be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vionar)
    It's such a shame that more than twenty five people have to die before anyone takes any notice. And even then, despite what's been said, I doubt how much will actually be done.
    This is one of the main reasons as to why most Americans are stupid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.