Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Continuing a relationship you know won't last. Watch

Announcements

So just wanted some opinions..

My friend and her boyfriend are really in love and they seem so compatible to all of us but they know due to their family and cultural differences they can never get married yet they are still going out even though they know it is going to hurt a LOT when they have to go their separate ways.

So would you stay in a relationship that makes you extremely happy and in love knowing it will have to end one day?

ReputationRep:
    It's not everyday you find someone who makes your world a better place.
    You should enjoy it while you have it, cherish it and live every moment like it's your last.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    Enjoy it while it lasts at least. It's not everyday you find someone who makes your world a better place.
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So just wanted some opinions..

My friend and her boyfriend are really in love and they seem so compatible to all of us but they know due to their family and cultural differences they can never get married yet they are still going out even though they know it is going to hurt a LOT when they have to go their separate ways.

So would you stay in a relationship that makes you extremely happy and in love knowing it will have to end one day?
    Hard to say but probably not only because I'd grow so attatched to the person and it would just make it harder when that time came when he realised he wanted to settle down but then I realised that it wouldn't be with me So in short no I wouldn't stay as it would hurt even more when we had to leave each other and I would find it really hard to move on.

(Original post by So Instinct)
      It's not everyday you find someone who makes your world a better place.
      You should enjoy it while you have it, cherish it and live every moment like it's your last.
      Moist, but I like it :grouphugs:

ReputationRep:
      99.99 % of relationships end, so whats your point?

Enjoy what you can, then move on with a smile on your face... life's too short

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by + polarity -)
      Moist, but I like it :grouphugs:
      Love you too bro. #Allhomo.

ReputationRep:
      this thread relates to me so much...

ReputationRep:
      I had a friend who has the exact same issue. They broke up about a year ago, but if you ask her I'm sure she'll say that it was one of the good memories she had :yep:

ReputationRep:
      So long as the benefits and potential benefits of the relationship outweigh the costs (including projected break-up anguish), then I would continue the relationship. Cost-benefit analysis to the rescue!

ReputationRep:
      It should last for a time as long as both fight for it.

Better to have loved and lost, and all that.

People seem to focus too much on the end - a relationship is valuable in itself as an experience, even if it never goes anywhere long-term. I'm with (sort of) someone I love but I know it won't last because he doesn't love me and, to be honest, we're not utterly compatible long-term. I still treasure every moment with him and want it to carry on for as long as it can.

But if they're perfect for each other they shouldn't let irrelevant issues dictate their lives.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      Better to have loved and lost, and all that.

People seem to focus too much on the end - a relationship is valuable in itself as an experience, even if it never goes anywhere long-term. I'm with (sort of) someone I love but I know it won't last because he doesn't love me and, to be honest, we're not utterly compatible long-term. I still treasure every moment with him and want it to carry on for as long as it can.

But if they're perfect for each other they shouldn't let irrelevant issues dictate their lives.
      this is pretty pathetic...

OP if i were in that situation i would continue it and hope that by the time we wanted to 'get married' our families would see sense.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.