Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am taking currently taking visual arts HL but I started the IB very late and I have a lot to catch up especially for art. My theme was on world peace and I was trying to relate that to fashion. Another theme that I was thinking was traditions(Korean traditional art) expressed in a modern way. I really can not think of any kind of artwork that I could do for these themes. I'm not even sure whether or not these themes are ok to follow.
    Could someone give me some advice for my themes and what kind of artwork I could do?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Themes can be quite broad. It's art, so you don't want a constricting theme that doesn't allow you to express yourself. Mine is personality. You just pick something general like that and then brainstorm (personality --> leader personality, society, personality disorders etc).
    Why not stick with peace (but not relating it to fashion only) ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just got a 7 in Art HL (option A) if you need any help, ask me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity1994)

Wow! That's amazing! I'm actually option B HL, I take too long in processing and learning technique. How much time did you spend on your sketchbook? I've been told that my pages are okay but I'm still a tad confused on how to make them better...

Also! Do your pieces all have to relate to each other. All of mine have themes and concepts, but they relate to concepts I see in real life. My artist statement states about how I like to see things that most see with unseeing eyes. So I kind of focus a lot on culture, restrictions, growth, independence, and as a technical aspect: Movement!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I think I spent 2 hrs, every day, doing art (I am not joking).
    The most important thing to keep in mind is that art is a self-discovery course. Unlike other subjects, its aim is for you to become more introspective, understand yourself in a deeper level and become more sensible to the human condition.
    Therefore, all of the pieces HAVE to be related to who you are. Just think about an experience which shaped you as a person and go with it (bad experiences are always a go-to). Then, expand on how your problem is something that can affect the whole world.

To get a good grade you also need to:
    -You also need to drag inspiration out of different cultures which you identify yourself with (not any culture/historic moment). Start with your country, communities near to you.
    -Use a LOT of technical vocabulary. I used to write the definition of new words I learned (which shows artistic growth and experimentation).
    -Do not be afraid to experiment! (I did sculptures, water-marking, mono-printing, screen-printing, installations, etc) This really pulled my grade up, they like to see you using usual techniques.
    -Relate the technique you use to your theme. Explain why specifically you chose acrylics (texture relates to...) or any other medium.
    -Show your knowledge of the subject (relate your pieces to artists you like and explain why they appeal to you).
    -Your WB is a diary/recording book/journal/sketch book. For every new idea, you need to relate it with your life, culture/artists, and place evidence of your investigation (drawings).
    -Make your pages attractive. First impressions DO count
    -Depth over breadth: do not cover many topics, stick to one and show how different mediums affect the way you convey that message.
    -Use 2 or more of these areas: personal/political/philosophical messages
    -The way you organize your exhibition is quite important. Make the progression as linear as possible.
    -AND, the most important tip: do not procrastinate. You will regret it, believe me.

Enjoy art as much as you can, it honestly helped me to understand who I was better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity1994)
    Hi,I'm doing HL option A too, I started the course really late and I've got a lot to catch up with but right now I am completely stuck and don't know what to do. I chose peace as one of my themes but I'm not sure that will work out because it doesn't really have much to do with me. I tried making a suit with paper that had news articles about war but that didn't work out because the actual making of the suit was very complicated and needed experience. so I was going to work on Korean culture(because I'm from Korea) but I'm not quite sure how I can put culture into art in a creative and expressive way. Can you give me any advice?thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.