The Student Room Group

[AQA] - Economics Unit 1 January 15th - [2013]

Scroll to see replies

Guys, in context 2, for the 12mk, did people say that due to the reason that soya and rick and so on is subsidised, their prices are lower. Since the soya, rice are used in the production of the fast food, the firms making the fast food face lower production costs as their raw materials (soya and rice) are lower price (from the subsidy) and so the are able to produce more and shift the supply curve to the right and so increase the amount in the market.
Also defines subsidy and supply.
Drew a shift in the supple curve to the right.

How many marks do you think I get?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by studentforum111
in context 1

what was the actual question for the 12 marker (graph)?

because some people have drawn two graphs and compared them , then some have done just either an elastic or inelastic graph - and now i can't even remember what the question asked

The question was something along the lines of 'With the help of a diagram, explain the price elasticity of demand for road use affecting government revenue when fuel is taxed.'

I drew two diagrams for that, Petrol and road use, and explained that revenue was likely to fall since they are in derived and joint demand, as they are complementary to each other.
Original post by Segadfx
I went with Context 1, although it seems the majority went with Context 2.

I went with 1, as the almost everyone I spoke to on the way out of the exam. Probably because we did some work with congestion as an example in November.
Reply 403
Original post by mo123456
for 25 marker a vaguely talked about junk food being as a demerit good as it had a cost to NHS of something about in the introduction of my essay.

then a did other 3 paragraphs as
subsidy on healthyfood
tax on junk food
advertisement on healthy food
evaluation

would that be ok?

Lol that exactly what i wrote. What evaluations did you write?

I wrote about price elasticities of demand, burden on national debt, opertunity cost of subsidies. I said that the governement wont make back what they have spent on advertising and used smoking as a past example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 404
Guys!! In context 1 question 3 I analyzed and drew a graph about this: if a lot of people were to switch from petrol/diesel cars to electric then when gov increases tax on petrol by 50% to complement the lost revenue from people who used petrol/diesel cars and switched to the new alternative it's revenue will fall because demand is price elastic for petrol/diesel cars since there are new substitutes such as electric cars.
I have a feeling that I answered the wrong question - please reassure me!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 405
Does anyone have the paper...?
Original post by benq
Guys!! In context 1 question 3 I analyzed and drew a graph about this: if a lot of people were to switch from petrol/diesel cars to electric then when gov increases tax on petrol by 50% to complement the lost revenue from people who used petrol/diesel cars and switched to the new alternative it's revenue will fall because demand is price elastic for petrol/diesel cars since there are new substitutes such as electric cars.
I have a feeling that I answered the wrong question - please reassure me!

That's what I thought but it wouldn't be the case in the short run and we wasn't given a time. I complained to the exam board as it was a terrible question.
Original post by Hi, How are you ?
Guys, in context 2, for the 12mk, did people say that due to the reason that soya and rick and so on is subsidised, their prices are lower. Since the soya, rice are used in the production of the fast food, the firms making the fast food face lower production costs as their raw materials (soya and rice) are lower price (from the subsidy) and so the are able to produce more and shift the supply curve to the right and so increase the amount in the market.

yes I said that supply increases, price decreases, qty increase - new equilibrium q2p2.
Didn't really answer the question though!! ARGHHHH
Just said that the opp cost between unhealthy foods and healthy food decreases so more likely to be consumed.

For the 25 marker i flipped up aswell :frown:

defined few things -

Did a merit good diagram of healthy foods - said the external benefit can be subsidised to reduce the price. No market failure as the price mechanism includes the external benefit? Forgot to say no excess demand :frown:!

Against I did the functions of price in a free market - dont work as more likely to increase demerit goods but high price can increase supply of healthy merit goods.
Functions of price - Merit goods under consumed, market failure, resources miss allocated.

Overall - tax hits people on lower incomes more as they spend a higher proportion of income on tax. Not sure if i said that this is a market failure as it leads to an unequal distribution of income. But I wish I did say that!
Min price might cause secondary markets to open, makes gov intervention ineffective.
Therefore subsidy (I think) increases consumption over LR - from extract 1 theres a big SR increase from 2000 to 2001 but then decrease which suggests it occurs over LR. Supplys inelastic (have to grow+harvest) - so increase in qty will occur over LR

I used gov failure, market failure throughout and evaluated.

Wish I used diagrams though and mentioned that Denmark have stopped the tax!!

How many marks do you think i'll get for my 12 and 25??
Need an A so bad!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Newbie95
A2 student as well got C3 next week and ECON3. Are you ready for it?

Woop i have the same!
Did anyone else get loads of a's and b's on the multiple choice qs?
Reply 410
Original post by BobTheBuilder94
Woop i have the same!

Oooh me too..C3 is my last one (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone have the answers for the multiple choice?
Someone put up the paper
Original post by BobTheBuilder94
yes I said that supply increases, price decreases, qty increase - new equilibrium q2p2.
Didn't really answer the question though!! ARGHHHH
Just said that the opp cost between unhealthy foods and healthy food decreases so more likely to be consumed.

For the 25 marker i flipped up aswell :frown:

defined few things -

Did a merit good diagram of healthy foods - said the external benefit can be subsidised to reduce the price. No market failure as the price mechanism includes the external benefit? Forgot to say no excess demand :frown:!

Against I did the functions of price in a free market - dont work as more likely to increase demerit goods but high price can increase supply of healthy merit goods.
Functions of price - Merit goods under consumed, market failure, resources miss allocated.

Overall - tax hits people on lower incomes more as they spend a higher proportion of income on tax. Not sure if i said that this is a market failure as it leads to an unequal distribution of income. But I wish I did say that!
Min price might cause secondary markets to open, makes gov intervention ineffective.
Therefore subsidy (I think) increases consumption over LR - from extract 1 theres a big SR increase from 2000 to 2001 but then decrease which suggests it occurs over LR. Supplys inelastic (have to grow+harvest) - so increase in qty will occur over LR

I used gov failure, market failure throughout and evaluated.

Wish I used diagrams though and mentioned that Denmark have stopped the tax!!

How many marks do you think i'll get for my 12 and 25??
Need an A so bad!

Hi,the 12mk q asked what would happen to the market for fast food if subsidies were given to the raw materials (soya and rice) or something around that lines. So personally, I think that was answering the q if you wrote (what i think) along my lines.
Hi,the 12mk q asked what would happen to the market for fast food if subsidies were given to the raw materials (soya and rice) or something around that lines. So personally, I think that was answering the q if you wrote (what i think) along my lines.

hmm, I think I said that demand extends but didnt really say that demand might descrease from fast food.
Darn it.
What do you think about the 25mark q?

Yes, I did that :biggrin:
Original post by -so-fly
For context 2
for the 5 mark definition q, marginal private cost!
i wrote that this is the added costs created by a firm or individual and suffered by that firm or individual. Then I gave an example of smoking and the causes it will have on someone's health... Do you think I would get full marks for this?

Your example is wrong, private costs have a clear numerical value. E.G - Private costs of smoking is the cost of fags, external costs would be (like you said) the cost on someones health.

I'd say you got 3 as a minimum
has a mark scheme for the multiple choice been made yet?
Original post by studentforum111
has a mark scheme for the multiple choice been made yet?

No, unfortunately not.
Reply 419
OMG!!!!!
i gotto admit:
paper was gooood but timing was baaaaaad!!!!! :s-smilie:

but context 2

05) define private marginal cost:

i wrote
the cost to consumers or firms internal to exchange....?
does that make sense

and i had a doubt: is obesity a long term private cost to a consumer?????

07) i drew a supply and demand diagram labelled everything but the 'subsidy per unit'.......????? :O

defined supply and demand
my explanation was something along the lines of:

price decreases, demand increases, therefore supply increases......

what do u think i wil roughly get for the 5 marker and the 12 marker??????? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending