Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I have to draw Valence Bond hybrid orbital model but when i hybridize the porbitals i don't know which one i am suppose to leave out.For example in an sp2 orbital so i leave out 2p x y or z?

Hope you understand what i mean

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah170194)
    Hi
    I have to draw Valence Bond hybrid orbital model but when i hybridize the porbitals i don't know which one i am suppose to leave out.For example in an sp2 orbital so i leave out 2p x y or z?

Hope you understand what i mean

Thanks
    Well, I suggest you read this page :

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/basicorg/.../benzene2.html

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but what i mean it after promotion and say you are doing an sp2 hybridisation how do you know which p orbital to leave out e.g x y or z?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but what i mean it after promotion and say you are doing an sp2 hybridisation how do you know which p orbital to leave out e.g x y or z?
    The orbitals are assigned x,y,z on the basis of a three dimensional axis that is randomly assigned. If you turn the atom over the assignments change.

What I'm trying to say here is that all three orbitals are equivalent and degenerate so it really does not matter which one you "leave out".

Normally it's the pz orbital that remains after sp2 hybridisation (even though it is then drawn vertically suggesting that it is a py orbital)

ReputationRep:
    oh okay thanks for clearing that up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    The orbitals are assigned x,y,z on the basis of a three dimensional axis that is randomly assigned. If you turn the atom over the assignments change.

What I'm trying to say here is that all three orbitals are equivalent and degenerate so it really does not matter which one you "leave out".

Normally it's the pz orbital that remains after sp2 hybridisation (even though it is then drawn vertically suggesting that it is a py orbital)

oh okay thanks for clearing that up.
    It is worth noting that in the hybridisation model all orbitals are considered to be equivalent, but if you use a symmetery analysis (which you may or may not have covered yet), then the pz, py and px can be different.

ReputationRep:
    oh yes it mentioned about symmetry analysis and that's why i got confused. What is it?

ReputationRep:
    oh yes it mentioned about symmetry analysis and that's why i got confused. What is it?
    Basically within the point group of the molecule, the px, y and z orbitals will have their own symmetery. For some molecules they will be the same (for example in tetrahedral methane).

However, in a molecule such as carbon monoxide (C(infinity)v ), the px and py have the same symmetery, but the pz is different. This is relevant because only orbitals of the same symmetery can mix so it defines which orbitals are part of which bond and which holds the lone pair.

If this isn't making a lot of sense then you haven't covered it yet and don't worry about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.