Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asked out but don't like him, should I do it anyway? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I got a message on Facebook this morning from a friend of mine asking me out, I knew he liked me anyway I just avoided the situation.

he's a nice guy but I don't fancy him and can't really see myself going out with him, but this seems to happen all the time that I get asked out by people I don't want to go out with.

People say oh if you don't go you'll never know but I think I'm doing the right thing. Or should I take a risk seeing as how I've been single for about 2/3 years bar a brief 3 week relationship?

ReputationRep:
    It all depends really, do you want a relationship or not? If you're happy being single you shouldn't force yourself into a relationship, especially with someone you don't fancy just for the sake of peer pressure. Why don't you just go on a few dates with him and see if you'll grow to like him, no need to jump into the deep end of a relationship just yet.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with this. Having a relationship for the sake of it, will simply lead you on the road to being miserable. You don't fancy the lad, so don't lead him on, wait for somebody you do connect with. It sounds like you find him boring, and you'll only hurt the lad if you string him along.

If you are getting asked out by a number of people, you obviously have something others want. So just wait for somebody else. Or if you are feeling really daring, ask somebody out who you do like.

ReputationRep:
    if you dont like him dont date him, theres nothing worse than some girl going out with you for the ****s then ditching you '3 weeks' later because they got bored again. dont **** with his head like that.

ReputationRep:
    Be frank and honest. Don't sugar coat it or lead him on.

(Original post by Lexi99)
      I got a message on Facebook this morning from a friend of mine asking me out, I knew he liked me anyway I just avoided the situation.

he's a nice guy but I don't fancy him and can't really see myself going out with him, but this seems to happen all the time that I get asked out by people I don't want to go out with.

People say oh if you don't go you'll never know but I think I'm doing the right thing. Or should I take a risk seeing as how I've been single for about 2/3 years bar a brief 3 week relationship?
      If you don't like him, don't be his girlfriend or date him. It's like saying you don't like chocolate and then buying a bar of Galaxy.

ReputationRep:
      You are doing the right thing by being hesitant, dont go out with people if you have no feelings for them especially as you know he likes you, its entirely unfair and he will get hurt. Surely thats plain to see?

ReputationRep:
      No, I think it would be better if you just told him. It will only end badly if you date him, you are going to have to tell him at some point.

ReputationRep:
      there's just no point if you're not attracted to him... you'd have to force yourself to flirt on the date and that's no fun.

i wouldn't go.

ReputationRep:
      If you don't like someone in that way then don't go out with them. It's not a difficult principle.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lexi99)

Go with your gut instincts. If your gut instincts are telling you that you don't see him that way and can't see yourself seeing him, then don't go. If it's saying, take a chance and see what happens anyway, do that It's true, you'll never know, but you can't force an attraction. If it's not there then you can't make it happen. Attraction is one of those things that you can't predict. It just happens.

ReputationRep:
      Why would you go out with someone you don't like?:s

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
      It wouldn't be fair on either of you if you were to go out with him. Maybe go on the 'date' and let him know your feelings for him in a nice way where you make sure that he knows you'll still be friends.

ReputationRep:
      No, just tell him the truth. He won't like it but that's the best thing to do.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks everyone

Just because ive been single for so long, i get told to just go on the one date and see what happens but for me, if there isnt an attraction already there whats the point?

I am happy being single in my own little world though, and if there was somebody i wanted to go out with i like to think i'd do something about it, just there isnt at the moment

ReputationRep:
      No don't. If you feel sure at the moment that you don't find him attractive, you won't change your mind. Trust me.

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
      Maybe go on the 'date' and let him know your feelings for him in a nice way where you make sure that he knows you'll still be friends.
      No don't. That would make him feel bad; totally emasculating for him and you won't look good. Remember how you act with one person, gets around to other guys. I've made a serious mistake in the past and as I expected, it didn't make me look good to other guys. Don't be a female player.

ReputationRep:
      yeah go out with him...then ride him like its 2013!!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lucia.)
      No don't. If you feel sure at the moment that you don't find him attractive, you won't change your mind. Trust me.

No don't. That would make him feel bad; totally emasculating for him and you won't look good. Remember how you act with one person, gets around to other guys. I've made a serious mistake in the past and as I expected, it didn't make me look good to other guys. Don't be a female player.
      Well she should tell him face to face. Best to do it over a coffee?

ReputationRep:
      If you don't like him don't raise his hopes unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SirMasterKey)
      Well she should tell him face to face. Best to do it over a coffee?
      Why should she have to tell him face to face when he asked her out over facebook?

Awkward thing about facebook messages now is that the other person can tell when you've read it. Just reply saying you're sorry but you don't feel that way about him and don't want to ruin a friendship.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.