Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asked out but don't like him, should I do it anyway? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well say respectfuly no then.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the OP should meet up with him to tell him 'no'. That will result in the following:

1. It might make him think she's unsure about him and that he's still in with a chance. Politely declining him in a non-date scenario gives a clear message.
    2. The guy asked her out over Facebook which is poor game on his part, unless he doesn't see her enough in person to have the opportunity to talk to her.
    3. When he realises that she went on the date just to say no to him, he'll feel used and that she's wasted his time. Trust me when I say that it's a cruel thing to do to a guy.

Thinking that she owes him an in-person rejection, is too idealistic in my opinion. Most people reject others by flaking which really sucks but it's hard to reject someone without hurting their feelings if you're direct about it. They might try to change your mind and it will be a blow to the guy's ego.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lexi99)
    I got a message on Facebook this morning from a friend of mine asking me out, I knew he liked me anyway I just avoided the situation.

he's a nice guy but I don't fancy him and can't really see myself going out with him, but this seems to happen all the time that I get asked out by people I don't want to go out with.

People say oh if you don't go you'll never know but I think I'm doing the right thing. Or should I take a risk seeing as how I've been single for about 2/3 years bar a brief 3 week relationship?
    I think it is worse for him if you go out with him, because then he likes you but you are just using him for the sake of being in a relationship. Its best just to tell him that you aren't attracted to him.

ReputationRep:
    If he likes you and he wants you, no point breaking his heart 1 month later saying you're not interested no more. So it's best you say no now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    It's unfair to lead him on. Just tell him you're not interested.

ReputationRep:
    I got a message on Facebook this morning from a friend of mine asking me out, I knew he liked me anyway I just avoided the situation.

he's a nice guy but I don't fancy him and can't really see myself going out with him, but this seems to happen all the time that I get asked out by people I don't want to go out with.

People say oh if you don't go you'll never know but I think I'm doing the right thing. Or should I take a risk seeing as how I've been single for about 2/3 years bar a brief 3 week relationship?
    Do you have anything to lose?
    It's true that it may work out if you give it a chance.

The best relationship of my life did start this way, I didn't like her but developed very strong feelings after a few months of dating.
    I would say it's most certainly worth it, but I would also tell him the situation that you don't like him but your open minded enough to give it a try.

ReputationRep:
    Well i just him no thanks, replied on facebook, as yea, we dont see each other enough, or live close enough to do it in person.

And everyone is right, i dont want to go out with somebody for the sake of having a relationship, i know so many people that do that and it just ends in tears. *sigh* just have to wait to meet somebody i want to go out with

ReputationRep:
    Well i just him no thanks, replied on facebook, as yea, we dont see each other enough, or live close enough to do it in person.

*sigh* just have to wait to meet somebody i want to go out with
    It wouldn't be so much waiting as living life. 'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans'

ReputationRep:
    No. Sounding very desperate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForKicks)
    It wouldn't be so much waiting as living life. 'Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans'
    I like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    It wouldn't be fair on either of you if you were to go out with him. Maybe go on the 'date' and let him know your feelings for him in a nice way where you make sure that he knows you'll still be friends.
    You always have the best suggestions sweety :love:

Op - It's much much easier to just say "thankyou im flattered but i dont feel for you in that way". Leading him on is just harsh.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 2, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.