Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Van on my driveway at 4am? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so as everyone knows it was new year's yesterday! I was actually in bed because my sleeping pattern is messed up atm (went to bed 6, got up 2!). Oddly enough, my Dad's motion Camera (he's in France with the rest of my family) picked up a van on our driveway at 4am! This is really odd (obviously) and it was there for less than 2 minutes but it's such a strange thing! (Even weirder I didn't hear it tbh). I'm kind of worried they were burglers doing reconaissance or something even though the van was marked and looked like a work van at 4am on New Year's it's a bit off. What do you guys think I should do? I was thinking of putting a kitchen knife in my room upstairs just to be safe! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they were doing a three point turn? (a really slow one)

ReputationRep:
    if it happens again get the number plate and call the police

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Did you recognise the van at all? ie belonging to a neighbour.

It does sound worrying.

Could the cctv make out what kind of clothes they were wearing ie party stuff of scruffy work clothes? Could it be possible that they'd been to a new years party and the one who was driving the van didn't have a car, so they use the van all the time? My uncle used to do this. And perhaps he'd had a drink (was the driving good or bad?), so pulled up at the wrong house and it took a minute to realise they were in the wrong place? Or the driver was taking someone else home who was drunk, so ended up at the wrong house, then the drunk person realised that that wasn't their house.

We always assume the worst in these situations, so try not to worry unless you see them again. In which case I would give the registration number to the police. It could just be something similar to what I described, it could be something dodgey.

ReputationRep:
    Can you not close the gate on your driveway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    Can you not close the gate on your driveway?
    No, it's an open driveway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serano)
    No, it's an open driveway
    Like I said, it does seem a bit worrying, but it could be completely harmless.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds dodgy. Maybe phone the local police (not on 999), explain and ask them if they can drive by your house during the night? Assuming it's not out of the way... Maybe leave a light on to show the house isn't empty.

Personally I always keep something in my room in case something happens, especially during the holiday season when home invasions seem all the more common.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      Personally I always keep something in my room in case something happens, especially during the holiday season when home invasions seem all the more common.
      is it a commode?

ReputationRep:
      You're paranoid. It was just someone who got lost, did a 3-point turn and
      had to look at the map or make a call while doing it.

ReputationRep:
      I think it highly unlikely that burglars would decide to scope out a house on the one night of the year that the entire population is awake in the early hours of the morning. It is even more unlikely that they would do so by parking a van on the driveway of the very house they intend to burgle. Burglars may be unintelligent but they aren't stupid.

Disclaimer: My sincerest apologies if you do happen to get burgled by these surreptitious fiends.

ReputationRep:
      As others have said, you're probably worrying over nothing.

You'd only have reason for concern in the unlikely event that you were living in the Leicester area, where the notorious 'bum-sexing-van-gang' has precisely the MO you describe.

ReputationRep:
      Home alone 6?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anazoth)
      Home alone 6?
      There was a 5th?

ReputationRep:
      That sounds really dodgy, I guess you were hoping for advice which I can't give but I would be paranoid as hell if I was you.

ReputationRep:
      I'm by no means an expert on this but our neighbours were burgled a few years back, when the police got involved they worked out that the burglers did their recon during daylight hours and on foot (presumably because it was less suspicious that way) as opposed to parking their van in their target's house.

Saying that if you're really worried try watching Home Alone for some ideas on how to burgler-proof your house

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SirMasterKey)
      There was a 5th?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Al..._Holiday_Heist

For television only.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SirMasterKey)
      There was a 5th?
      Here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2308733/

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.