Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was at a hotel/restaurant with my boyfriend, my parents, his parents and a couple of their friends. I am over 18 by the way.

The meal (including champagne at midnight) was pre-paid for. But we had to pay for drinks throughout the night.

My dad bought a couple of bottles of wine. At the end of my main course, I still had most of a glass of wine left. The manager then came up to me and asked my age and if I had ID. I had none as I wasn't paying for any alcohol - I'm a student plus my parents were there.

Was this about the wine I had at the time or the champagne at midnight?

Because you can have wine with a meal when you're a few years younger than 18, surely he didn't think I was less than 15 or whatever it is. (My boyfriends beard makes him look older, I had DD boobs, which my dress was showing off!)

So was it about the champagne? But even still, I hadn't paid for it.

BUT, I'm 19 and my boyfriend is a year younger. But he wasn't asked for ID or anything. He does look a bit older than me, but he does have chubby cheeks which make him look younger, so it's quite hard to guess his age. At the time he quite clearly had coke (but the manager wouldn't have known if it had spirits mixed in it without seeing the reciept/tasting it), but was going to get champagne at midnight like everyone else. He does sometimes get IDed, so he must look under 18/21 to some people.

ReputationRep:
    You've thought about this too much I think. It's only ID

ReputationRep:
    Well i can think of a few thinks. Either you look under the legal age limit, which you should be proud of haha. Or it was a random ID check.

Don't look too much into it, shouldn't let it bother you

ReputationRep:
    Because you were drinking alcohol. Yes, you can have a glass of wine with a meal at 16, I think it is. But not a whole bottle's worth.

ReputationRep:
    Well what happened after you didn't have ID? What did the manager do?

Most shops tend to ID you if you look under 21, and supermarkets if you're under 25. The hotel probably had a similar policy. Chill out!

ReputationRep:
      There's no proper reason for the manager to do it. Two explanations are he had it in for you and just wanted to hassle someone, and that he wanted your name so he could stalk you on facebook because of the DD boobs you 'had' (had? wtf?).

ReputationRep:
      another reason could be that his superior was in and he wanted to look like he was doing his job.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Clare~Bear)
      I was at a hotel/restaurant with my boyfriend, my parents, his parents and a couple of their friends. I am over 18 by the way.

The meal (including champagne at midnight) was pre-paid for. But we had to pay for drinks throughout the night.

My dad bought a couple of bottles of wine. At the end of my main course, I still had most of a glass of wine left. The manager then came up to me and asked my age and if I had ID. I had none as I wasn't paying for any alcohol - I'm a student plus my parents were there.

Because you can have wine with a meal when you're a few years younger than 18, surely he didn't think I was less than 15 or whatever it is. (My boyfriends beard makes him look older, I had DD boobs, which my dress was showing off!)

BUT, I'm 19 and my boyfriend is a year younger. But he wasn't asked for ID or anything. He does look a bit older than me, but he does have chubby cheeks which make him look younger, so it's quite hard to guess his age. At the time he quite clearly had coke (but the manager wouldn't have known if it had spirits mixed in it without seeing the reciept/tasting it), but was going to get champagne at midnight like everyone else. He does sometimes get IDed, so he must look under 18/21 to some people.
      It doesn't matter who pays for it, its anyone who drinks it that counts. Otherwise younger people could just get older people to buy drinks for them all the time. And the time might be to do with them not letting in children after a certain time. I know at Spoons pubs under 18's are not allowed after a certain time.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tw1x)
      Because you were drinking alcohol. Yes, you can have a glass of wine with a meal at 16, I think it is. But not a whole bottle's worth.
      I wasn't the only one having it.

(Original post by SirMasterKey)
      Well what happened after you didn't have ID? What did the manager do?
      he asked for ym date of birth. I gave it him and he walked away. I still got champagne at midnight.

(Original post by jelly1000)
      It doesn't matter who pays for it, its anyone who drinks it that counts. Otherwise younger people could just get older people to buy drinks for them all the time. And the time might be to do with them not letting in children after a certain time. I know at Spoons pubs under 18's are not allowed after a certain time.
      Yes but you can have alcohol with a meal before you're 18. I was quite clearly with my parents, why would they have brought me to an adults only thing and pay £40 for me plus drinks, if I might get kicked out for being under 18? And it's a hotel/restaurant, so I doubt it has that rule anyway.

ReputationRep:
      What the bloody hell has your cup size got to do with it? 14 year olds can have D cup boobs :rolleyes: You've over-thought it, he only asked for your ID ffs.

ReputationRep:
      Size of boobs = not proof of age. Do 40 year olds with AA boobs get ID'ed because they're flat chested but look 40?

*facepalm*

ReputationRep:
      Being IDed isn't a big deal. It's most establishment's policy to ID if you look under 25. You've just gotta suck it up.
      My gf, who is under 18 wasn't served a beer with her meal in a restaurant. You can't do anything about it but accept it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tw1x)
      This, I suspect.

ALSO, whereas shops have an "under 25" rule, restaurants/bars have a "challenge 21" policy - ie if you look under 21, it is their obligation to ID you.
      I am 23 and get ID'd all the time - I'll be thankful for that before my face droops :gah: take it as a compliment

(Original post by sabian92)
      Size of boobs = not proof of age. Do 40 year olds with AA boobs get ID'ed because they're flat chested but look 40?

*facepalm*
      I negged you by accident, meant to +rep you! Sorry!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by isawsparks89)
      I negged you by accident, meant to +rep you! Sorry!
      No worries - don't really fret over rep anyway!
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by isawsparks89)
      I am 23 and get ID'd all the time - I'll be thankful for that before my face droops :gah: take it as a compliment
      Same! I know I'm going to get ID'd; so always have my ID with me. I think only once I haven't been ID'd. Excluding the time I'd ordered a drink, went to get a meal with a drink and was served by the same lady.

ReputationRep:
      I wasn't the only one having it.

he asked for ym date of birth. I gave it him and he walked away. I still got champagne at midnight.
      Yes but you can have alcohol with a meal before you're 18. I was quite clearly with my parents, why would they have brought me to an adults only thing and pay £40 for me plus drinks, if I might get kicked out for being under 18? And it's a hotel/restaurant, so I doubt it has that rule anyway.
      But you were involved in the sharing of a bottle of wine. It's not like you just ordered one glass of wine from the bar and had done with. Anyway it's not a big deal, I work in a pub and its challenge 25. We're not even allowed to give shandy to under 18's anymore.

Why are you so bothered about being ID'ed? I hate it when people kick off about it. If you're 18+ you've got nothing to hide.

ReputationRep:

They probably enforce a challenge 25 scheme (as to protect their licence) and maybe you looked under 25. Also, even though you can have a drink or two with a meal, pending how many bottles were on the table and what time it was (if your meal was long-finished) then maybe he was just doing his job.

Also, if you looked like you were rocking your DD's maybe he thought you were trying to look older than you are...or he wanted to check your age before asking for your number.

Be thankful you don't look your age.

ReputationRep:
      I've learned that it's always worth keeping my ID in my purse, just incase. But there is a difference between having a little alcohol with a meal, and sharing a lot of drinks with a table of adults when you MIGHT be under 18. The hotel would have got into trouble if you'd got really drunk and hurt yourself if you were under 18, so they have to protect themselves by checking.

Just carry it round with you, it's not like it takes up much space, and you can at least relax incase it happens again.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tw1x)
      But you were involved in the sharing of a bottle of wine. It's not like you just ordered one glass of wine from the bar and had done with. Anyway it's not a big deal, I work in a pub and its challenge 25. We're not even allowed to give shandy to under 18's anymore.

Why are you so bothered about being ID'ed? I hate it when people kick off about it. If you're 18+ you've got nothing to hide.
      I'm not kicking off about it and i didn't at the time. I'm jsut wondering if it was for the wine or the champagne.

(Original post by odkfn)
      They probably enforce a challenge 25 scheme (as to protect their licence) and maybe you looked under 25. Also, even though you can have a drink or two with a meal, pending how many bottles were on the table and what time it was (if your meal was long-finished) then maybe he was just doing his job.

Also, if you looked like you were rocking your DD's maybe he thought you were trying to look older than you are...or he wanted to check your age before asking for your number.

Be thankful you don't look your age.
      There were 2 bottles of wine on the table between 8 of us. We had finished our main course and had a cheese board and pudding to come. He didn't have a badge of anything on to say he was staff and was wearing the same kind of suit all the blokes were wearing. To begin with I thought he was a drunken perv asking my age to see if I was over 16!

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
      I've learned that it's always worth keeping my ID in my purse, just incase. But there is a difference between having a little alcohol with a meal, and sharing a lot of drinks with a table of adults when you MIGHT be under 18. The hotel would have got into trouble if you'd got really drunk and hurt yourself if you were under 18, so they have to protect themselves by checking.

Just carry it round with you, it's not like it takes up much space, and you can at least relax incase it happens again.
      I didn't take a purse/handbag with me as I had nothing else I needed to take - I wasn't paying for any drinks or anything.

(Original post by sabian92)

*facepalm*
      No, but their face makes it obvious that they're over 18. But when you've got a young face big boobs make you look older.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.