Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emoss)
    Pooled by Trinity for Linguistics. Good luck everyone!
    (Original post by puchowsijk)
    Looks like I've been pooled by Homerton for Linguistics. A shame, but we'll see what other colleges will think - if they want to contact me at all, that is.
    Best of luck, fellow Linguistics applicants!
    Try not to worry, Linguistics always pools lots of people, and many end up at a different college in the end. Also, if you're female I can tell you that there is definitely at least one open place at Newnham. Keep swimming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    I don't like swimming I might drown
    I forgot how to swim.

Funny thing is that Jesus pooled me... not a good sign whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LewisMead)
    Pooled for maths with your first exam for Physics, it's like looking into a mirror (that changes your gender). :holmes:
    This reminds me too much of CP transformations... If your gender was charge, and the other stuff was parity

(Original post by gregzz)
    Yea physics as well :P any ideas what time they might start ringing tomorrow so I know what time I've got to get up at?
    Nope, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be before 9 unless they're really keen. Just keep your phone on loud and try not to sound too sleepy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silentlife)
    How do they take into account test scores in the pool? I had do a multiple choice test as part of my interview - it's only for the course and the college I applied...
    If it forms part of your overall interview score, then it will be taken into account in that way. In any case, the results will be part of your application file, so any interested college would be able to see the information, though I can't say how much weight they would place on it. That is likely to vary from college to college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    I don't like swimming I might drown
    You got pooled?! :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jh.)
    Quick question: looking at the application stats it seems that there's been on average 200 places for MML over the last few years but the number of applicants has been between 500-600. This year there were only 380 applicants, so would this mean that they would still keep 200 places open for MMLers or would some be allocated elsewhere?
    What LewisMead said.

(Original post by LewisMead)
    If they were still of the Cambridge quality they would, they would not lower their standards though.
    (Original post by psychology1010)
    Does anybody here know when we are likely to be told if another college has made us an offer?
    See the first post in this thread and the briefing note you were sent.

(Original post by _Georgie)
    If you're gonna hear something, you'll hear from tomorrow (5th) until the 9th!
    After which point it's safe to assume you won't be fished
    What Zhy said - offers without further interview can come in later than the 9th.

(Original post by Zhy)
    Doesn't the winter pool letter say that from the 5th until the 14th people will be made direct offers?

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...rpool_2013.pdf
    Correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine.)
    :O I can't believe how much applications have fallen...woah.
    me neither.. I'd like to think/hope that they still make around the same amount of offers this year - around the 200 mark

(Original post by Minerva)
    What LewisMead said.
    tah
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Kidioteque)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By king's for Philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but I wouldn't have thought it'd be before 9 unless they're really keen. Just keep your phone on loud and try not to sound too sleepy!
    Yea but that's assuming they will ring me :P

Are any of you guys surprised that you got pooled? I am, one of my interviews was completely shocking and the interviewer seemed like he disliked me, but the second interview went better. I think I did pretty well in TSA as well, but my UMS was only 92%, but then again I would probably have flags for coming from an area with low number of people going to uni(wonderful Blackpool :rolleyes:) and my high school was pretty crap as well. Hopefully the reason I've been pooled is because they actually think I'm "Cambridge material", but they didn't have enough places instead of pooling me just because they feel sorry for me.

ReputationRep:
    Oh gawd I didn't think of this :eek:

(Original post by Kidioteque)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You got pooled??

Are any of you guys surprised that you got pooled? I am, one of my interviews was completely shocking and the interviewer seemed like he disliked me, but the second interview went better. I think I did pretty well in TSA as well, but my UMS was only 92%, but then again I would probably have flags for coming from an area with low number of people going to uni(wonderful Blackpool :rolleyes:) and my high school was pretty crap as well. Hopefully the reason I've been pooled is because they actually think I'm "Cambridge material", but they didn't have enough places instead of pooling me just because they feel sorry for me.
    I feel like this! My first reaction was that it's because I'm disabled/went to a terrible school :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyie)
    my letter said i was recommended so if youre pembroke and it didnt say that you can assume youve been autopooled
    I don't think you should make any assumptions based on wording

ReputationRep:
    Any pooled from St.John?
    Can I ask what did they write in your letter for the reason?

ReputationRep:

Did you have GT first interview and SM second?

Because I really got the impression GT didn't like me, but thought SM was a lot friendlier and that interview went a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    Pooled for Education with English and Drama from Clare. I was kind of expecting it because my interviews went pretty well but Clare hasn't given an offer for Education for five years (until this year, someone else got an offer), but they seem to pool a lot of their applicants. I'll probably end up at Homerton, which I'm okay with, but I'd love to go anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honggau)
    Any pooled from St.John?
    Can I ask what did they write in your letter for the reason?
    Errr, can't remember the exact wording without getting the letter and looking, but it was something like "a number of good applicants and unfortunately you were squeased out"

Wbu?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not the most pleasant experience in a pool that I've had, I must say! But, to be fair, I'd happily take it, being pooled at Cambridge is not too shabby!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCiaran)
    Did you have GT first interview and SM second?

Because I really got the impression GT didn't like me, but thought SM was a lot friendlier and that interview went a lot better.
    Exactly, GT was soooo mean, like I got something wrong because he asked me a question with a differentiation by the chain rule which I've not done and I said I don't know how to do this and he just looked at me with the mean look in his eyes, I swear he hated me. And SM is a great guy, really liked him and I was much more confident then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megzx13)
    Errr, can't remember the exact wording without getting the letter and looking, but it was something like "a number of good applicants and unfortunately you were squeased out"

Wbu?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    And then 'we have the sufficient confidence in your ability and potential??' right? lol
    seems like it's auto written.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm quite disappointed I won't get to study at King's anymore :moon:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Catherine.)
    :O I can't believe how much applications have fallen...woah.
    Yeah, it's because of how quickly languages A-levels are dropping, and as that happens the A-levels only get harder, as the number of native speakers taking the exams takes the same.

From over 600 to 385 in just a few years.. and they STILL didn't have room for me??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.