Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The exaggerater)
    Just wondering do you think your surname affects when you will be contacted? Ie if your right down the bottom end of the alphabet are you less likely to hear in first few days ?
    Just clutching at straws to be honest
    That would make me so pissed

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honggau)
    I can see they notify offers by college!
    4,5 colleges down now.
    God bless us!
    What do you mean? confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I suppose this is what it must feel like to be an actor waiting for your big break by the phone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mick.the.fish)
    What if one interview was good and
    one bad?
    Average score?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Reinterview is more likely than averaging. The average is utterly meaningless - because if you got a 9 and 3 then the one thing you definitely *aren't* is a 6!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by The exaggerater)
    Just wondering do you think your surname affects when you will be contacted? Ie if your right down the bottom end of the alphabet are you less likely to hear in first few days ?
    Just clutching at straws to be honest
    My surname begins with an A and I haven't heard anything. So surnames probably has little, if anything, to do with the order they contact people.

ReputationRep:
    Why oh why. Magdalene keeps fishing in the pool, while they didn't even manage to contact me for their decision. I don't even know if I am rejected or not...

Anyways, congratulations to everybody who manages to be fished out of the pool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Optimistic_Owl)
    I was originally pooled by Churchill College for Computer Science and received an email just under half an hour ago from Magdalene College with an offer !! Fished at last! I don't know the conditions yet. Good luck to those still waiting, it's not over yet, anything could happen still!!
    Congratulations, that's quite a catch!!
    Chances for the rest of us CompSci poolees are probably as small as the number of hours revision I have done this weekend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonAmsterdam)
    Why oh why. Magdalene keeps fishing in the pool, while they didn't even manage to contact me for their decision. I don't even know if I am rejected or not...

Anyways, congratulations to everybody who manages to be fished out of the pool!
    Have you contacted them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amber13)
    A few questions for anyone with a bit of time on their hands......
    1. When will the last invite for interview be given out, today or tomorrow.
    2. Can a college contact someone else in the pool if they where not impressed by their interviewed candidates?
    3. When is the earliest I can expect a rejection letter?
    Thank-you!
    See clarification below.

(Original post by hannah1994)
    Out of interest what is different about medics being pooled?
    There's no auto-pooling,and they have the option of an open offer. See the OP if you want to know more about those.

(Original post by The Polymath)
    Now that I have an interview from Fitz, would it be at all okay to phone Trinity Hall and ask for interview feedback?
    No, absolutely not.

(Original post by WJRA)
    1. Tomorrow
    2. Yes but I think the college can choose only one person who can be considered post-interview stage.
    Update: Colleges can mark one applicant per subject who they may or may not wish to bring into consideration after pool interviews.
    3. Hard to say but colleges try to get them to you as quick as possible. Offers can be made up till the 14th/15th though so don't give up yet.
    If at all, this will have been done while the Pool was open; they can't go back now and fish anyone else out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06waraujol)
    What do you mean? confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I've noticed that there seems some kind of patterns that people from different subjects got fished by the same college around the same time of the day.
    Like today around now it's Magdalene college. Yesterday it's Robinson and 2, 3 others (like Newnham)
    Other colleges do fish as well but hardly anyone has heard from them except for re-interview, right?
    So there must be something.

But I'm just not sure whether each college notifies individually at whatever time/order they feel like or they have any system here with CAO...

Just my guess anyway. But I should give up already so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anamzaman)
    I've been pooled for Land Economy too. You been fished yet?
    Nope not yet. Still swimming but on the verge of drowning :3 Then again it's only been 2 days so far...

On a separate note I think there are so little Land Economy applicants on TSR that even if we wanted to find out about stuff we wouldn't be able to... can't even bear to think about how many LE poolees might be on TSR :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honggau)
    Well I've noticed that there seems some kind of patterns that people from different subjects got fished by the same college around the same time of the day.
    Like today around now it's Magdalene college. Yesterday it's Robinson and 2, 3 others (like Newnham)
    Other colleges do fish as well but hardly anyone has heard from them except for re-interview, right?
    So there must be something.

But I'm just not sure whether each college notifies individually at whatever time/order they feel like or they have any system here with CAO...

Just my guess anyway. But I should give up already so.
    Ah thank you!!! Yeah I see what you mean like lots of girton news!! I don't feel very hopeful. The most I'd expect is a re interview and haven't heard anything yet so looks doubtful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was pooled by Downing for English :/

Has any one been fished out for English yet?? If so by which college?

Ugh the waiting is killing me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06waraujol)
    Ah thank you!!! Yeah I see what you mean like lots of girton news!! I don't feel very hopeful. The most I'd expect is a re interview and haven't heard anything yet so looks doubtful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    True, this afternoon is Girton. Then I bet tomorrow we will hear news from some other colleges.

I know, we should focus on our revision anyway! Or just take a gap year and re-apply next year haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red4lif3)
    Nope not yet. Still swimming but on the verge of drowning :3 Then again it's only been 2 days so far...

On a separate note I think there are so little Land Economy applicants on TSR that even if we wanted to find out about stuff we wouldn't be able to... can't even bear to think about how many LE poolees might be on TSR :\
    Good luck! I got fished out for LE yesterday by newnham

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    All the people getting into Magdalene are making me sad whhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy dont you love meeeeeeeeeeeeee, maryyyy?
    a million times this haha

ReputationRep:
    can I still request my college to send the decision via mail? I'm from outside UK and I guess it will take ages for the letter to come...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    All the people getting into Magdalene are making me sad whhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyy dont you love meeeeeeeeeeeeee, maryyyy?
    This...

ReputationRep:
    For those who got pooled by Trinity, they informed unsuccessful candidates on the 11th last year (as in people who were left in the pool). As this was Day 6 of the pool last year, I'm assuming that if we haven't been fished, we'll get told on thursday (10th Jan). Really really hope it does not come to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    This is how the letter read:

[...detail removed by moderator...]

I am delighted to be able to say that following the Winter Pool process here in
    Cambridge (which you should have received a letter about, dated around 3rd
    January from your preference College, but let me know if you have not),
    Magdalene College has successfully managed to obtain permission make you an offer of a place here in Cambridge and in our College (exact details, terms and conditions will follow in a formal offer letter).

Whilst I am sure you must have mixed feelings about not being taken by your
    preference College, let me reassure you that most Colleges (including our own) have roughly 5 times as many applicants as they have places available, with many of them being the top or one of the top applicants from their school, and most are very well qualified for the places they are applying for.

From what we can see and what your preference College has shown us, that you weren't taken by them would seem purely down to them being over subscribed for the course you applied for, whereas we did not have quite so many applicants for your chosen course.

Can I also reassure that most Cambridge Colleges are relatively similar in
    nature, and I hope you will be happy to receive an offer of a place from
    Magdalene.

It may take us around a week, maybe even ten days to get an offer letter in the post to you: I hope you will not mind this, there are many applicants who were not so successful, with who we should make contact, and some applicants where the decision was not so clear cut as it was with you and so we are bringing them back to Cambridge for a reinterview - I am sure you can understand, and hope the good news that this email brings will serve as a stop-gap.
    ahah mate congrats! im sure this is big motivation for you next year

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.