Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got fished for Economics yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missatomicbomb)
    I applied to Newnham for a bunch of reasons (all my friends are guys and I'm at a mixed 6th form so I'm not scared of boys or anything). It seemed pretty damn cool when I went to interview. The girls there aren't wierd or anything. And I talked to them and they didn't seem to have their access to boys much affected by being at a girls college...
    Oh cool thank you, It's not like I want to go nuts or anything haha I guess it was just a prospect that caught me a little off guard but I'm glad that was your experience of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiannonymous)
    Hey I got 88% average for UMS too! Hello fellow NatSci pooler, had any luck yet?
    And me! I have only heard of (I think) three NatSci-ers who have been contacted so far...two offers and an interview, I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiannonymous)
    Hey I'm in the same boat too, my UMS is pretty much 88% and I was expecting a straight rejection as my interviews were terrible also......our school was hammered though, out of 6 applicants, only 2 of us got pooled, no offers and the rest straight rejections.....funny world eh?

Good luck anyway! What college and subject did you apply for?
    Thank you, good luck to you too.

Mine was the other way... of the four of us who got an interview, they all got offers and I got pooled. Kinda makes it worse :'(

Geog and Johns, you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KD35)
    Anyone got fished for Economics yet?
    A quick search on yhe thread will give you the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Just got an offer from magdalene for PBS! Don't loose hope little fishes!
    I know this is quite late, but SAY WHAT?! WE DID IT!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    Long story as to wherever I'm phys or bio. I applied for phys, Pembroke said "lolno" and changed me to bio, despite me wanting to take mostly phys modules :V

My case is the opposite as my UMS is shoddy so I can't have been autopooled... but therein lies the problem! Unlike Oxford, Cam are obsessed with a few little numbers that show you can jump through hoops in exams. Sigh. If they went off of interviews and such I think I'd be in but oh well.
    I share your pain, but there's not much we can do, even if we don't get fished, we can prove Cambridge missed out on a very good applicant and if you work hard enough at any university you'll be just as successful, if not more than students at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Long story as to wherever I'm phys or bio. I applied for phys, Pembroke said "lolno" and changed me to bio, despite me wanting to take mostly phys modules :V

My case is the opposite as my UMS is shoddy so I can't have been autopooled... but therein lies the problem! Unlike Oxford, Cam are obsessed with a few little numbers that show you can jump through hoops in exams. Sigh. If they went off of interviews and such I think I'd be in but oh well.
    I feel for you man. wishing you the best of luck .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jqian)
    I share your pain, but there's not much we can do, even if we don't get fished, we can prove Cambridge missed out on a very good applicant and if you work hard enough at any university you'll be just as successful, if not more than students at Cambridge.
    Exactly! >=D

Where's your second choice?~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    This is how the letter read:

[.... personal detail removed by moderator....]

I am delighted to be able to say that following the Winter Pool process here in
    Cambridge (which you should have received a letter about, dated around 3rd
    January from your preference College, but let me know if you have not),
    Magdalene College has successfully managed to obtain permission make you an offer of a place here in Cambridge and in our College (exact details, terms and conditions will follow in a formal offer letter).

Whilst I am sure you must have mixed feelings about not being taken by your
    preference College, let me reassure you that most Colleges (including our own) have roughly 5 times as many applicants as they have places available, with many of them being the top or one of the top applicants from their school, and most are very well qualified for the places they are applying for.

From what we can see and what your preference College has shown us, that you weren't taken by them would seem purely down to them being over subscribed for the course you applied for, whereas we did not have quite so many applicants for your chosen course.

Can I also reassure that most Cambridge Colleges are relatively similar in
    nature, and I hope you will be happy to receive an offer of a place from
    Magdalene.

It may take us around a week, maybe even ten days to get an offer letter in the post to you: I hope you will not mind this, there are many applicants who were not so successful, with who we should make contact, and some applicants where the decision was not so clear cut as it was with you and so we are bringing them back to Cambridge for a reinterview - I am sure you can understand, and hope the good news that this email brings will serve as a stop-gap.
    Dude, seriously? My (new) college just sent a really short letter. xD

You will have heard by now that Clare College has placed your application into the inter-college pool for consideration by other colleges. I am very pleased to be able to tell you that Girton College has taken your application to read Psychological and Behavioural Sciences out of the pool, and we will be making you an offer for 2013. Your offer will be confirmed through UCAS and via letter from us within the next week or so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Question Mark)
    I feel for u ou msn. wishing you the best of luck .
    Heh. I'll live. It's you guys I want to get offers. No-one deserves to have to go through pool suffering

The way I see it I have about 4 Personal goals in life

One of them is going to Cam. Yes, I've missed that if not fished (w/r/t undergraduate anyways) but the other 3 are unaffected, and their chances may even be improved!

I can live. I'll be disappointed that my ride has been so bizarre but ah well. These things happen, and they all happen for a reason.

Don't worry about me. I'll let you know how I get on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Yes, I don't see why not.
    I still haven't received anything from Churchill...Probably they will send me a letter to Bulgaria...Can they send me a letter saying I was rejected?

ReputationRep:
    I got an e-mail from Magdalene college at 6:30pm today offering me a place to read mathematics! I was originally pooled from Clare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6adam)
    I got an e-mail from Magdalene college at 6:30pm today offering me a place to read mathematics! I was originally pooled from Clare.
    Congrats!

Awesome college to get fished by as well! Very pleased for you~

ReputationRep:
    Do they still ring tomorrow even though the majority of people will be at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! >=D

Where's your second choice?~
    Bristol, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jqian)
    Bristol, how about you?
    Durham - chem here

(Bristol may be insurance. Not sure. I didn't actually go to their visit day so I'm not sure how to classify them)

ReputationRep:
    Magdalene college is working today!
    How about other colleges??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06waraujol)
    Do they still ring tomorrow even though the majority of people will be at school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I figure they'll do it after school hours, I'd perhaps expect emails.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honggau)
    Magdalene college is working today!
    How about other colleges??
    Girton too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.