Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Last day to be fished for interview guys!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychology1010)
    Hi

When looking through the pool, do the college admissions people look at your whole UCAS application i.e. personal statement, SAQ, grades etc. or do they just look at a reference from the college that pooled you?

Also, if they just look at a reference, what information is in it?

Thanks
    Your interview reports, any tests you did, your written work submitted, are all meant to be in the file.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Your interview reports, any tests you did, your written work submitted, are all meant to be in the file.
    Hi Minerva,

Thank you for all of this, firstly!
    When colleges are fishing for out subject, would they get sent every single applicant for that subjects file and then have to sift through them all until they have decided who they're going to call? or can they just cherry pick some from the 'pile' without looking through them all?
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    "Hey chicken, did you get into Cambridge? x and y did! "

"No I was pooled."

"Oh, what's that?"

"My application is still under consideration" (more explanation after you see a confused face)

"When will you hear back?"

"i have no idea. Hopefully soon"

"Oh right. Well good luck!"

repeat x1000

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiannonymous)
    Oh right well good luck!! Are you bio or phys?
    Bio - pooled from Clare. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    "Hey chicken, did you get into Cambridge? x and y did! "

"No I was pooled."

"Oh, what's that?"

"My application is still under consideration" (more explanation after you see a confused face)

"When will you hear back?"

"i have no idea. Hopefully soon"

"Oh right. Well good luck!"

repeat x1000

:rolleyes:
    Yup, gonna be fuuuuuun -_-

ReputationRep:
    Good morning - today's update is now attached to the first post of this thread.

Good luck to everyone - see you later.

Don't forget that the first post includes an FAQ which really does cover the questions most often asked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cchloee)
    hello there im also a linguistic fish! losing my hope now i haven't been called for second interview
    Hello I'm also a linguistics fish. Which college did you originally apply to?

ReputationRep:
    Please fish me soon, someone D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Minerva could you please look at the maths section and tell me if the fact that they seem to be going from top towards the bottom is just a coincidence or some sort of paternt??? (I'm talking about the table with college we were pooled by)

anyone else feel free to answer too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BEVLA12)
    Hi, I've finally decided to join the thread after a good 3 days of endless stalking.
    Got Pooled for History by Downing... wondering if there were any other fellow historians still waiting?
    Me feeling sad. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still no architecture pooles fished. I must say, as colleges are giving out offers, I am more and more focusing on colleges that we haven't heard from yet. So I am basically waiting for an offer form Trinity. That's just ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidioteque)
    Just made the mistake of looking at the Cambridge offer holders thread... :cry:

Yeah ohmygod don't. I unwatched them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chillichilli)
    Still no architecture pooles fished. I must say, as colleges are giving out offers, I am more and more focusing on colleges that we haven't heard from yet. So I am basically waiting for an offer form Trinity. That's just ridiculous
    Has anyone heard from Queen's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Finally decided to join after days of stalking. I've been pooled by Selwyn for law. Still no news Kind of losing hope because I don't think my interview was great and my UMS is average but not amazing (don't think I was auto pooled)

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this has been answered before, but can someone tell me how do the colleges decide whether to give out a direct offer or to call for a re-interview? If I have been called for another interview, does that mean I did badly in my first interview with another college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josephtsui)
    I don't know if this has been answered before, but can someone tell me how do the colleges decide whether to give out a direct offer or to call for a re-interview? If I have been called for another interview, does that mean I did badly in my first interview with another college?
    possibly. some candidates will have an S on their file which means they are in need of reassesment. This could be due to two wildly different scores in 2 interviews or the candidate being ill at interview as well as other things. I would imagine that those with an S are more likely to be reinterviewed

ReputationRep:
    Wonder what time they will start calling/emailing today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stray)
    I'm guessing they have their reasons.

Here's some logic I can see in it. Firstly, if you're pooled it's possible that you wouldn't want to accept an offer from another college (for example, if you got an offer from a single sex college). So they want to make pool offers on an organic basis. i.e. they are making an offer, and you say yes/no, and if you say no then they can fish someone else. Doing all that by letter would be too slow.

However, the main reason I can see is that for the majority of people the letter was a straight accept/reject. Only a minority end up in the pool, and many of those will have been fished or invited for interview by Monday (though not all, don't panic). Given the proximity of exams and return to studies, they are prioritising giving a definite answer to the majority, despite intensifying the discomfort for a few thousand in the pool.

The final reason is that if you wanted a prestigious college and the first letter you got said that you'd got into a college that would have been bottom of your list, you'd feel disappointed - you might even turn the place down in haste. By the time you've marinated in the pool for a couple of days you'll be grateful for the fishing!
    I'm sure this is right. A final reason might be that some people get reinterviewed and if successful get a pool place but if not it might go directly to another poolee. Which is probably why some direct offers and some fish backs are made quite late.
    If Cambridge waited till all this was done almost everybody (who didn't get a reinterview) would be on tenterhooks wondering if they were a direct offer, a transfer or a rejection. So pool misery would be inflicted on everybody, especially those who thought they had a bad interview & didn't get a reinterview.

And I gather Oxford offers are delayed till 11th Jan this year not December.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpeyj)
    Wonder what time they will start calling/emailing today...
    Probably about now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.