Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helly)
    Opinions on being pooled for History with 43 predicted in IB (777775, 5 in Spanish, 3/3 for TOK + EE)? There's no auto pooling for current IB students
    Yes there is, predicted above 7,7,6 I believe?
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by These Streets)
    People pooled from King's, how was your letter worded?
    the wording doesn't make a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allen_x)
    Only for those who have already passed their diploma

ReputationRep:
    I miss the camaraderie of the applicants' threads We all seem to be beating ourselves up too much in here. HAPPY THOUGHTS, PEOPLE!
    • PS Reviewer
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allen_x)
    There isn't. You need to have achieved the grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    the wording doesn't make a difference
    That's what I thought, guess i'm just looking for anything to hold onto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helly)
    Opinions on being pooled for History with 43 predicted in IB (777775, 5 in Spanish, 3/3 for TOK + EE)? There's no auto pooling for current IB students
    I'm IB and pooled as well (42 - 776766), I think it just depends on interview and stuff to be honest - it could be that they got a stack of A*A*A*A* A-level candidates, so I wouldn't think too much into it. Your grades are good enough that you should stand a good chance, but it's pretty impossible to guess :/

ReputationRep:
    Hello fellow fishies! Pooled as planned, probably on autopool merit seeing as my interview was a long drawn out process where I just blundered around making up rubbish about a dodgy poem.

just for the record,
    -93.6% UMS average (squeaked that one!)
    -dreadful interview

= not hopeful.

Good job I enjoy swimming!

ReputationRep:
    Please guys, stop comparing the wording of the letters. It really doesn't make a difference. And if it did, so what? Surely you're going to know in a couple of days time anyway. I think the best thing to do right now is to try and put this to one side (until/if they call you and let you know) and concentrate on something else (i.e. exams). Scrutinising your chances of success based on the wording of your pooling letter is unlikely to be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polymath)
    Well take 80 to 90% times by the number of economics applicants, and that's the number interviewed.

Then remove the number of direct offers, and you roughly get the number of people in the pool, although some of them will have been pooled and offered by the original college, and some of them will have been rejected.

this does not work! the number you get left is those pooled and rejected! am I reading this wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbobp)
    Pooled by Christ's for Maths
    97.2% UMS (top 3), does this mean my interview went really badly??
    I have the exact same average and applied to King's and have been pooled. Must have been our interviews or just squeezed out as it says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrexhamfc)
    I miss the camaraderie of the applicants' threads We all seem to be beating ourselves up too much in here. HAPPY THOUGHTS, PEOPLE!
    I'm actually weirdly at ease with being pooled, I guess I expected it so it wasn't much of a shock!

Are you from Wrexham? I'm a North Wales girl myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Please guys, stop comparing the wording of the letters. It really doesn't make a difference. And if it did, so what? Surely you're going to know in a couple of days time anyway. I think the best thing to do right now is to try and put this to one side (until/if they call you and let you know) and concentrate on something else (i.e. exams). Scrutinising your chances of success based on the wording of your pooling letter is unlikely to be helpful.
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    I don't like this :lol:

I can't be bothered to speculate about my chances (like there being no auto pooling for the IB or being pooled from King's) but ... I'm going to be distracted from work because I'm hoping for a call :lol:

this isn't nice

Definitely agree with this ^

The way I see it at the moment is that I'm already rejected. That way I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain over the next week or so (in theory at least!)

ReputationRep:
    I was pooled by Girton for medicine. I don't know what my chances are, seems as though i have little chance of an offer. However, I am of the opinion that Girton actually make fewer offers than the majority of the other colleges since they allocate a huge portion of their take to pooled applicants which they then fish. I was just wondering what the chances were of getting fished by Girton and given a direct offer without interview.

ReputationRep:
    An awful lot of the applicants I know have been pooled, a lot more than you would expect. Is this the case for everyone?

(or am I just convincing myself of this in the hope that a letter arrives tomorrow saying 'oops, sorry about that pooling letter, we sent them to everyone by accident, here's an offer'?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarr)
    I'm actually weirdly at ease with being pooled, I guess I expected it so it wasn't much of a shock!

Are you from Wrexham? I'm a North Wales girl myself!
    Not Wrexham actually (this is just an alias I like); I live in Flintshire and go to school in Denbighshire, whereabouts are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economist17)
    An awful lot of the applicants I know have been pooled, a lot more than you would expect. Is this the case for everyone?

(or am I just convincing myself of this in the hope that a letter arrives tomorrow saying 'oops, sorry about that pooling letter, we sent them to everyone by accident, here's an offer'?)
    I like positive if maybe slightly deluded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrexhamfc)
    Not Wrexham actually (this is just an alias I like); I live in Flintshire and go to school in Denbighshire, whereabouts are you from?
    Denbighshire, both living and schooling! You definitely don't go to my school though - I'm the only Oxbridge applicant there! Small world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Question Mark)
    But it still will not tell you how many applicants are in the pool for your subject ie economics?

only accepted via the piol for previous years? :confused:
    Yes. Cambridge does not publish numbers of people pooled by college or subject.

(Original post by The Polymath)
    Well take 80 to 90% times by the number of economics applicants, and that's the number interviewed.

Then remove the number of direct offers, and you roughly get the number of people in the pool, although some of them will have been pooled and offered by the original college, and some of them will have been rejected.
    No, because most people don't even get in to the Pool. Sorry, you're just going to have to accept that you will never know how many fishes are swimming along with you. Sorry
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Question Mark)
    this does not work! the number you get left is those pooled and rejected! am I reading this wrong?
    "although some of them will have been pooled and offered by the original college, and some of them will have been rejected."

But for Economics rejection is probably not a probability, as UMS tends to be exceptionally high, so loads of people get auto-pooled.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.