Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteHouses)
    Ah, great to hear. Thanks.

Also, do you know if direct offers are more often made on the 5-7th or 7-14th period? Sorry for the stupid question, I need all the hope I can get to stay in a good mood.
    I'm not entirely sure, I do remember someone making a comparison earlier on, and i think that there were around 38 direct-offers made about this time last year compared to 75 made in total (on TSR).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Direct offers will continue to come in for a few days yet.

(Original post by jamil78613)
    I'm not entirely sure, I do remember someone making a comparison earlier on, and i think that there were around 38 direct-offers made about this time last year compared to 75 made in total (on TSR).
    That's all I need to know. Thanks a lot guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slonge1994)
    Got pooled from trinity for history of art. How do you find out which subjects are being held on the 12th? Thanks so much for the help!!! xx
    Ha, don't mention it, re-interviews for the History of Art will be held on Friday the 11th according to this: http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/a...olofficers.pdf.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    Direct offers will continue to come in for a few days yet.
    hi, I just wanted to ask a quick question about direct offers - I received a phone call to say I had been fished from the pool on Saturday evening by Robison college. I am probably being pedantic and worrying for nothing but should I be worried that I have not yet got an email/letter confirming the offer ?!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elle_mackenzie_x)
    hi, I just wanted to ask a quick question about direct offers - I received a phone call to say I had been fished from the pool on Saturday evening by Robison college. I am probably being pedantic and worrying for nothing but should I be worried that I have not yet got an email/letter confirming the offer ?!

Someone on here also got a direct offer via phone call and they were informed that a formal offer letter would be sent in the post later in the week. Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when Robinson notified their poolees if they were unsuccessful at being fished last year? Was a letter sent out or did people find out from Track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivo)
    Does anyone know when Robinson notified their poolees if they were unsuccessful at being fished last year? Was a letter sent out or did people find out from Track.

same question for pembroke if anyone knows

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivo)
    I also want to know this, although I've managed to get a lot more revision done recently so I guess I've got to the stage where I'll be ecstatic if I get an offer but kinda like a 'meh' if I don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivo)
    +1.

I'm operating under the assumption i've been rejected for now, which means I need 4A* so I can re-apply next year, which means I need to be working hard right now

Now, if another college were to fish me...

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I don't really get what being auto-pooled is about.. Could someone tell me what it means? Thanks a lot! And good luck to all of you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarakrz)
    Hi guys, I don't really get what being auto-pooled is about.. Could someone tell me what it means? Thanks a lot! And good luck to all of you

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a system whereby candidates who have an average UMS score of 93% and above across their three best/most relevant (depending on the subject being applied for) AS Levels are automatically pooled. It's based on the notion that somebody with such good academic results deserves to have a college take a second look at them, no matter how bad their interviews/other parts of their application were.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what aakd said: there is no autopool for medicine and maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarakrz)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Completely agree with what was said ^

But the auto-pool does not exist for maths and medicine applicants!

ReputationRep:
    Beginning to feel like I've spent so much of my life on this thread that I should start paying rent!

Anyway, let's hang in there, fellow poolees (is that the collective term for us, or would fish be better?). Another day, another batch of offers, and let's hope some of the people fished next are us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lighterthanAyer)
    Just about staying afloat This whole pool business is just painful .... you? :rolleyes:
    This is also for Kidiotheque

Don't give up hope yet. Because my daughter was pooled/rejected last year and then in September decided to reapply, I became very familiar with the application stats for the last 5 years. You can work out using the data where you stand the best chance of getting into Cambridge - not necessarily your preference college (with the proviso that you still need good results and interviews and stats can only show you part of the picture).

For 2013 Cambridge released the number of applications early - normally you wouldn't get them till summer. So you can see what the admission tutors see. This year Magdelene had fewer applicants for Law than normal - was it about 17 plus open applications for about 10 places. If I were an admissions tutor at Magdelene (or Emma) I would look across at the likes of Clare and Downing (I think Clare had nearly 70 applicants for 6 places but expect that to rise a couple this year) and think they are completely over subscribed so there will be some excellent applicants in the pool that they have rejected for us to go fishing. Therefore they pool some of their applicants to go looking, but I noticed last year that they fished back some of their applicants (have already seen that this year for other subjects).

The other good thing is that is that Magdelene poolees also get fished by other colleges, even if the college goes fishing.

Also Law applications are down 10% overall this year so you stand a better chance than last year of getting in. Don't want to give you false hope but at the same time wanted to say it's not all over yet and good luck.

And if you dont get into Cambridge it really is not the end of the world - you have great offers and honestly it makes no difference to your future legal career (I speak from personal experience)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•)
    Why did they have to tell us about the pool? Why not do it without us knowing, make the decision on a rejection or fished and then tell us.
    My thoughts exactly.

Hang in there!

ReputationRep:
    My daughter got pooled by letter from Robinson for ASNC on Friday and then got "fished" by Robinson (do you call it fishing if the college you applied to selects you for an offer??!!) by Adms Tutor phone call (home number - mid afternoon!) with the promise of the offer letter in the post later this week! I had to peel myself off the ceiling and daughter was ecstatic! Talk about a roller-coaster! Totally surreal! No idea of grades required yet though! Good luck to all....there are no rules....they just want the best and you all are.

ReputationRep:
    Pooled for Theology by Pembroke UMS 93% and my interviews there I thought went ok, but I had another one at Trinity (Theology applicants interview at another college as normal) and that went SCHOCKINGLY. I just hope that SOMEONE wants to fish me. ANYONE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mothero)
    This is also for Kidiotheque

Don't give up hope yet. Because my daughter was pooled/rejected last year and then in September decided to reapply, I became very familiar with the application stats for the last 5 years. You can work out using the data where you stand the best chance of getting into Cambridge - not necessarily your preference college (with the proviso that you still need good results and interviews and stats can only show you part of the picture).

For 2013 Cambridge released the number of applications early - normally you wouldn't get them till summer. So you can see what the admission tutors see. This year Magdelene had fewer applicants for Law than normal - was it about 17 plus open applications for about 10 places. If I were an admissions tutor at Magdelene (or Emma) I would look across at the likes of Clare and Downing (I think Clare had nearly 70 applicants for 6 places but expect that to rise a couple this year) and think they are completely over subscribed so there will be some excellent applicants in the pool that they have rejected for us to go fishing. Therefore they pool some of their applicants to go looking, but I noticed last year that they fished back some of their applicants (have already seen that this year for other subjects).

The other good thing is that is that Magdelene poolees also get fished by other colleges, even if the college goes fishing.

Also Law applications are down 10% overall this year so you stand a better chance than last year of getting in. Don't want to give you false hope but at the same time wanted to say it's not all over yet and good luck.

And if you dont get into Cambridge it really is not the end of the world - you have great offers and honestly it makes no difference to your future legal career (I speak from personal experience)
    Thank you so much for this! Can't tell you how much I appreciate it, and even though I still don't expect to be pooled you've made me relax a lot about what the future holds

Cheers again!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.palatinate.org.uk/?p=1806...ref_map=%5B%5D - this article has motivated me so much! If all else fails, Durham- here I come!

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody got pooled by St. Catz?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.