The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3540
I have never been less thrilled to be notified of a Topshop sale.
Original post by Noonoo
A mate of mine been pooled by kings and fished by homer ton yesterday for history. I am thinking so much of you guys......:wink:

Alright alright, no need to be smug
Original post by HannahO.o
:hello: I'm nurturing a small flicker of hope for being taken back. They don't need to drag out rejections this long :frown: Which subject did you apply for?

Geography, you??
Original post by cath1509
You know what I don't get about pooling? I understand the fairness of the system however stressful for us, but when a college X pools an applicant from a course, let's call her Katie. And say college Y pools another applicant for the same course, let's call him Tom. Cambridge says that "no college is better than another in the end when you get here" and that "you have an equal chance of getting into cambridge wherever you apply because of this pooling system". But if college X fishes Tom out and college Y fishes Katie out, which evidently happens a lot, it mean both Katie and Tom were Cambridge material, however their skills as such were not what the college they applied to were looking for, but the college they were pooled to.

Therefore this basically means that the colleges are looking for different things when they pick candidates, evident in their application as each college sets different tests etc. But this means that technically it does matter where you applied to in the first place as if you got pooled from one college and the colleges that like your type of application are full, then you won't get a place even if you are of Cambridge material.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they pool. I just can't help seeing this point when i think about the big swimming pool we are in.

Yeah I agree. One example is for my Course PBS, the colleges have drastically varying entry criteria for the same course.

eg. The college I have an offer for, Corpus, state any A Levels are allowed, although preference to mix of science and humanities (I did A2 Psych, Geog, RS). However, Magdalene say you MUST have A2 Maths and Biology, and a social science or Chem/Physics. I only have a B in GCSE maths, so you can see quite clearly here colleges must be actively looking for different things between candidates, so it cant all be equally fair in the pool, as If I was pooled I would definitely not be fished my magdalene and however many other colleges require A2 science maths e.g., Pembroke, Selwyn, Downing.

So it shows college choice does have a part to play in your success as an applicant.
Original post by jqian
I agree, hence why people are given the choice of choosing their colleges. People may choose colleges that appear to suit them, for example, some people may not want any admission tests, just want the interview, some people want both. But, ultimately, the problem is that Cambridge can only accept X students a year, so they have to reject some very good candidates unfortunately. The pool is just a way to try to balance these things out. After all, the course you take will be the same regardless of which college you apply for.

This is my point though, if colleges fish students from other colleges, there is no point in Cambridge saying don't stress about the college you apply to because it does evidently matter... even though like you said, the course is ultimately the same.
Reply 3545
Original post by Ann4
I'm waiting to hear something from Selwyn too. Is so stressful now lots of people are starting to get rejection letters!

I know! I would never email them to ask though, I prefer to keep the dream alive, haha :P
Original post by TPJY
Anyone heard anything from Homerton?

Yeah, my friend got fished for HSPC, but that was immediately she'd been pooled...maybe the do a quick one, then spend more time? Good luck!
Original post by jqian
I'm the red fish. My friend sent me the video yesterday.

awwwwwwwwwwwww so cute
Original post by 777edr777
Geography, you??

HSPS, the only activity from Downing was to take back two applicants it pooled -.-Otherwise, nada.
Reply 3549
This is my point though, if colleges fish students from other colleges, there is no point in Cambridge saying don't stress about the college you apply to because it does evidently matter... even though like you said, the course is ultimately the same.

Yeah, the pool is pretty a much a last minute attempt to create some sense of equality and to reinforce their statement that it doesn't matter which college you apply to. But I think they say that it doesn't matter which college you apply to because they don't want to make you too stressed before you even apply. I mean, how many people really follow Cambridge's advice about not worrying about which college one chooses? Everyone has a preference of some sort otherwise they would have forced everyone to send in an open application.
HSPS, the only activity from Downing was to take back two applicants it pooled -.-Otherwise, nada.

DO you know which subjects they were for!! This wait is so painful...
The pool's annoying me now. Get the fudge on with it!
Original post by trin67
Hi Everyone,

Am new to this thread and I know late in the day. Am the mother of super stressed linguistics applicant and trying to instil calm but without much success.

Ok so he is pooled but no word since. Wonder if anyone knows how or if they work out UMS when we have combination of Pre U and A Level? Obviously there is no equivalent AS for Pre U so we have a slightly artificial UMS as it's only on 2 subjects? Anyone any idea?

Hiya - I'm a Pre-U applicant too - there don't do UMS for you if you have Pre-U (even if it is a combination - I did that too) :smile: so don't worry - and good luck!!
You know what I don't get about pooling? I understand the fairness of the system however stressful for us, but when a college X pools an applicant from a course, let's call her Katie. And say college Y pools another applicant for the same course, let's call him Tom. Cambridge says that "no college is better than another in the end when you get here" and that "you have an equal chance of getting into cambridge wherever you apply because of this pooling system". But if college X fishes Tom out and college Y fishes Katie out, which evidently happens a lot, it mean both Katie and Tom were Cambridge material, however their skills as such were not what the college they applied to were looking for, but the college they were pooled to.

Therefore this basically means that the colleges are looking for different things when they pick candidates, evident in their application as each college sets different tests etc. But this means that technically it does matter where you applied to in the first place as if you got pooled from one college and the colleges that like your type of application are full, then you won't get a place even if you are of Cambridge material.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they pool. I just can't help seeing this point when i think about the big swimming pool we are in.

That's very true, I think it's just a case of who your interviewers are looking to teach, it's a subjective process to many extents and purposes, so it's tough.
My teacher told me it's nothing to be offended about at all if you get pooled or rejected, at the end of the day, it's who your interviewers prefer teaching... To get rejected after the interview stage doesn't mean you're not good enough for Cambridge (else you wouldn't have had the interviews), you're good enough, perhaps just not to the specific requirements of your college tutors.
Best of luck with pooling though :smile:, and don't get too stressed over this, that you can't focus on revision!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by 777edr777
DO you know which subjects they were for!! This wait is so painful...

I think one was for Economics and I have a sneaky suspicion the other was Law, you'll have to check
anyone from Emmanuel?? xx
I think one was for Economics and I have a sneaky suspicion the other was Law, you'll have to check

Ah ok thanks :smile: both humanities (ish)! We have hope!
Cambridge should reinterview more people in the pool. I think I messed up my interviews because I was so nervous so surely they should give more second chances...
Original post by jqian
Yeah, the pool is pretty a much a last minute attempt to create some sense of equality and to reinforce their statement that it doesn't matter which college you apply to. But I think they say that it doesn't matter which college you apply to because they don't want to make you too stressed before you even apply. I mean, how many people really follow Cambridge's advice about not worrying about which college one chooses? Everyone has a preference of some sort otherwise they would have forced everyone to send in an open application.

That is true. They don't really but the point is that reinforcing a statement that isn't actually true is sending the wrong message.

And also, i you had applied to the college that you were pooled to in the first place you may have got in directly. If it was full when you were pooled you wouldn't. I can imagine this situation happening quite frequently because like you said, many applicants get rejected that should've got a place.
Can we be fished for another college that required an admissions test in the first place? For example, I applied to Downing where it was only an interview...would I not be considered by another college that set an admissions test?

Latest

Trending

Trending