The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joyie
have pembroke started drowning yet??
wait.. wth, fish dont drown,,,, the simply die.
isnt it the ones that get fished which actually 'drown' like in the air, cos they cant breathe?
sorry ... bio natsci here, i couldnt help noticing...

Original post by Stray
Good point. Floating is what I remember from my goldfish keeping days.

Fish can drown in non-oxygenated water/water which is flowing in too strong a current with the direction which the fish is swimming, so it doesn't get enough oxygen.
Reply 3881
Original post by medicdude
Fish can drown in non-oxygenated water/water which is flowing in too strong a current with the direction which the fish is swimming, so it doesn't get enough oxygen.

like a whirl-pool?
Original post by JKA17
like a whirl-pool?

If the fish was caught in a whirlpool, then I suppose so.
Like a Cambridge pool...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3884
Are they still giving offers from pembroke for economics? (Been pooled)
Original post by Minerva
They don't look at predicted grades to calculate the UMS average.

That is correct. Cambridge are interested in actual achievements to date, so they would only use A level UMS (as distinct from AS UMS) with applicants who have already got their grades.

This intrigues me- so if you messed up your AS exams, resat them and then did very well in A2 and achieved 3A* in one sitting without any retakes at A2, would this be enough to negate the bad AS performance and resits (which they don't like) or would they still look at it?

Also, I've got my fingers crossed for all of you on here, especially for my best friend who is still in the pool... good luck everyone :biggrin:
Reply 3886

Original post by JKA17
like a whirl-pool?

but i would call that suffocation not drowning.. like not having oxygen but still in your environment where as 'drowning' i associate with being immersed in a fluid where you cannot receive oxygen... so water for us, and air for the fish? unless ofc drowning is defined as dying of lack of oxygen in water, in that case yes, fish can drown
Reply 3887
Original post by rajiv.dua07
Like a Cambridge pool...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should be renamed the Cambridge whirl-pool
Reply 3888
Original post by mick.the.fish
Yep same for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i hope that i never do hear from them!! unless of course they decide to refish me...
we've still got hope till the 14th!!
Reply 3889
Google says:

Die through submersion in and inhalation of water

Original post by joyie
but i would call that suffocation not drowning.. like not having oxygen but still in your environment where as 'drowning' i associate with being immersed in a fluid where you cannot receive oxygen... so water for us, and air for the fish? unless ofc drowning is defined as dying of lack of oxygen in water, in that case yes, fish can drown

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/drown

1. To kill by submerging and suffocating in water or another liquid.

Air isn't a liquid either.
Reply 3891
Original post by JKA17
Google says:

Die through submersion in and inhalation of water

ah.. but fish are submerged in water all the time and they do inhale it.. so i guess they dont drown?
Reply 3892
Just received my rejection from Trinity; pros/cons of waiting a year to reapply? (I wasn't auto-pooled if it makes a difference)
Original post by joyie
well i hope that i never do hear from them!! unless of course they decide to refish me...
we've still got hope till the 14th!!

Agreed!
:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by joyie
ah.. but fish are submerged in water all the time and they do inhale it.. so i guess they dont drown?

They can die if the water has no oxygen/they can't get the oxygen from the water.
They do drown.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/drown

1. To kill by submerging and suffocating in water or another liquid.

Air isn't a liquid either.

exactly fish dont drown in air, they asphyxiate
Reply 3896
Original post by Macleod
Just received my rejection from Trinity; pros/cons of waiting a year to reapply? (I wasn't auto-pooled if it makes a difference)

if you get like all A*s and you have something impressive to do in your gap year then i guess you could. but imo if you have offers from other good unis i'd say dont do it.. i mean there's always postgrad for you to try again!
Original post by Macleod

I haven't taken a gap year, but this is what I would guess:

:smile:
- You'll understand the Cambridge application process and how interviews work, so it should be easier the second time around
- You can use your gap year to improve your grades and get relevant experience in the subject you want to apply for
- Admissions tutors will have something concrete to measure your academic ability by - the grades you have actually achieved.

:frown:
- You'll spend that year obsessing over Cambridge and will be devastated if you get rejected again
- You'll have (presumably) turned down offers from other fantastic universities
- You're going to graduate a year later than your peers, so you might feel you've been left behind
- You will have to prove that you spent your gap year doing something academically worthwhile

To be honest, it all depends on the subject you're applying for. For some subjects, such as MML and medicine, it is easier to justify taking a gap year and reapplying than for others, such as maths, where it's actively discouraged.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3898
Nothing yet... still waiting. Still swimming. Waiting for someone to come fish me.
Original post by insomniacramblings
Hi :smile: I was pooled by Christ's on friday.

I haven't heard anything either, but my fingers are tightly crossed...

How did your interviews go?

Got my fingers crossed for you :smile:

It's hard to tell. Both my interviews were subject-specific, but I was much more nervous in the first interview, and I think some of my answers were a bit too basic. I was also asked about whether political poetry is relevant and I, without thinking, said that a lot of the poetry about politics I'd read tended to be pretty bad. Luckily, they laughed, but it was a close one!

I think the second interview was more challenging, but I rather enjoyed it, and I felt like that one went rather well.

I'm pretty sure I was pooled through the autopool criteria (93%+ UMS average) rather than my interviews, though!

How did your interviews go? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending